Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Soaphie

Thanks for giving us an update.

I always keep a tube of Derma Clens around.

http://tinyurl.com/l4wlkkz

We used to used it with burn patients and when I saw how wonderful it worked I asked for a tube.

I think there may have been some reluctance.....maybe an ingredient that they weren't wild about, but knowing my vet it was probably just because I was thinking outside the lines.

It works by debriding the dead tissue, which you don't necessarily need. Once the dead tissue is gone then the new it helps the new tissue grow in wonderfully. I think it regenerates new cell production so well that you would want to use it just a bit to get things going.

I bet a day with just a bit and a wrap would get her started. Then you could probably just do a light swipe off the creek.

I don't think I would use an ointment as that may trap in moisture and prevent air from helping the healing process.

Really glad if she needs to lose something it is only a toe.

Tara

Last edited by Rubytuesday; 08-15-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Founding Member

we will take the good news where we can!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Burns.... hmmm just used and have read that egg whites provide some collagen. I slathered some on my husband (he is always a willing subject), and he said that it really worked, when he burned his hand on our edge trimmer.

I too used it most recently with a really bad case of poison ivy, where the Doctor thought staph may be present. Once the scab came off, and it was raw skin, I placed some egg whites on my finger.... instant relief, and the healing process was quick.

Just thought I would share, and perhaps you may be able to use for Soaphie.

Barb
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

No fun on the razor burn glad to hear the tumor seems benign though. Hugs to your girl.
Patty
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
Soaphie celebrates her 5-year sugarversary next week....she will be 13 in October - it just seems bizarre that she has been diabetic for such a great part of her life. We owe you all a HUGE round of applause and endless thanks for all your help in getting us this far (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP)!!!

Tami
It sure doesn't seem that long ago, we're getting old Tami
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
Soaphie is still "cone bound". Her stitches come out on Monday - but the bigger issue is the razor burn on her front leg where they shaved her to put her IV in. It's awful - I tried various ointments and vaseline - now purchased A&D ointment today.

Biopsy came back yesterday. The lump was a plasmacytoma. I will pick up a copy of the report on Monday when we go in for stitch removal. Vet said pathology report says that they typically behave in a benign fashion, but if it reoccurs, toe removal will be necessary. She got as clean of margins as possible given it's on her toe, but pathologist believes some "tendrils" were remaining.

So - good news overall - we will just keep a close eye on it.

T
When my Chief had a spot on his head shaved for a lump removal the vet gave me a bottle of Derma Gel, it did wonders, I always used it on my dogs when they had a scrap or closed wound. I had the larger size container, you push down and it pumps out, its a clear gel, I took a look and Amazon has it, it comes in a tube also.

I also use Sulfoden, I started using that years ago, before the days of Frontline when we used to dip our dogs for fleas, oh remember that, I'd try that also on a small spot around the edge, it smells sorta like a shoe polish but sometimes those old remedies work better than the new

I hope Soap is doing better and hopefully the razor burn has cleared up some

Dolly and Angel Niki
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Soaphie had her eyes rechecked today after the bought of neurogenic KCS and horner's. Her tear production is up to 16 in both eyes. At the beginning of this event, her left eye was ZERO....then improved to 7 a couple months ago, now normal at 16. We are able to reduce her eye drops to twice a day now.

WOOT WOOT! Fist pump.

T
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Founding Member

yay! that is great news!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Go Soaphie Girl! Love the good news!
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Founding Member

thats wonderful news