I have a kitten-cat now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a kitten-cat now

I rescued a feral, where I live is not the greatest place as far as feral cats they just put them down, he was about 5 weeks old when I rescued him, I was never a cat lover but I felt so sorry for him, I heard his brother or sister getting taken by the coyote. After a week or two of keeping him, he started pulling at my heart, he thinks I'm his mother. He's about 4-5 months old now and has driven me almost to insanity. I have to say at times I'd prefer a puppy who poops everywhere.

He is jumping up on everything, I've used the squirt bottle, scold, holler and no luck, he'll just do it again in seconds. He's no longer the nice baby kitten and now a holy terror, yes I now love Marty and he knows it.

The vet says bring a stool sample, I take this clump out of the litter box and they tell me its pee, I kept thinking all this kitten does is poo, silly me He was born with 8 toes on each paw. Next week he's getting neutered and having those extra toes removed, the vet says they will get stuck on things & have no bones in them.

I don't know if I'll let Marty outside once he's spayed and better, I think I should & maybe he won't be jumping all over the place or maybe he'll calm down once those male parts are removed. I'm leary he'll get hit by a car. When he was about 7-8 weeks old I used to let him come outside when I was in my shed, he always ran back in the shed after exploring about 15 ft away when he heard a noise but I don't know, I think of the feral mother coming back & taking him, ah most likely she's had more kittens somewhere.

I pray to God this cat will calm down.
    Last edited by eyelostit; 09-27-2013, 04:45 PM.
    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Re: I have a kitten-cat now

we got a feral cat when i was young gave us all ringworm had the extra toe too but we did nothing about that and she was fine we called her rat kitty because she lost allot of fur from the ringworm ended up a very pretty kitty and good cat.

i think being feral and being outside all the time he is going to be a bit wild i think overtime and not restricting him to much and let him be a cat he should calm down kind of like that with a puppy takes time to mature . if pooping and peeing in litter box thats a good thing

congrats on the knew addition
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We had a feral cat once.... eight toes in the front, six toes in the back. She looked like she had a baseball glove on. Found her under a car... scared to death.

When someone would be come to the door, she would run and hide... the other cat we had (not feral), would run to the door to see who was there.

Glad to see that you have a new addition..

Barb
      Last edited by Abby's Mom; 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM.
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

lol. Hi Dolly so good to see you. I rescued 2 feral cats at 4 weeks. Something happened to their mom. One of them was a 6 toed. Just be cautious. My vet did not remove the toe, but his had claw/bones in it. I bought mine a cat tree. they loved to climb it, scratch it, sleep in it. etc. It was their playground. I just lost of them last week at age 14. They never went back outside. I was never a cat person either but they stole my heart. They do eventually calm down and get so lazy you wonder what enjoyment they get out of life eating and sleeping. Good luck with him.
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
          We had a feral cat once.... eight toes in the front, six toes in the back. She looked like she had a baseball glove on. Found her under a car... scared to death.

When someone would be come to the door, she would run and hide... the other cat we had (not feral), would run to the door to see who was there.

Glad to see that you have a new addition..

Barb
          The cat is slowly going to kill me You'd think after being neutered he would calm down some, Marty is about 5 months now, I guess all kittens/cat are so light in weight or what? they gain 5 more lbs in time, I should put Marty on my postal scale, he feels maybe 2 lbs.

Thanks for writing
          Dolly and Angel Niki
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
            we got a feral cat when i was young gave us all ringworm had the extra toe too but we did nothing about that and she was fine we called her rat kitty because she lost allot of fur from the ringworm ended up a very pretty kitty and good cat.

i think being feral and being outside all the time he is going to be a bit wild i think overtime and not restricting him to much and let him be a cat he should calm down kind of like that with a puppy takes time to mature . if pooping and peeing in litter box thats a good thing

congrats on the knew addition
            I always kept an eye on him when we were outside, there's always something lurking around, I live in the woods, I know the Hawks took some ferals when then were pretty little, after he was neutered, I decided to keep him in inside, I let him loose maybe 3-4 hrs a day sometimes more it depends on what I'm doing, & I can't have him climbing over my inventory, I have a make do 1/2 kinda door I cut from a big cardboard box, if I forget to pull it shut, he's right in there, God I wish he'd calm down..

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
              lol. Hi Dolly so good to see you. I rescued 2 feral cats at 4 weeks. Something happened to their mom. One of them was a 6 toed. Just be cautious. My vet did not remove the toe, but his had claw/bones in it. I bought mine a cat tree. they loved to climb it, scratch it, sleep in it. etc. It was their playground. I just lost of them last week at age 14. They never went back outside. I was never a cat person either but they stole my heart. They do eventually calm down and get so lazy you wonder what enjoyment they get out of life eating and sleeping. Good luck with him.
              Hey Sr. Peg

How are ya?
              I bought one of those big cat play crate things, what a PITA to put together. Marty likes that for awhile, then he keeps meowing non-stop, I'm not used to hearing this, so then I put him in the bedroom, I think that sort of became his room. I have to watch my cup of coffee, he'll jump up & start drinking it, it must be the cream in it he likes & he sure doesn't need caffeine.

Are you still in that animal course you were taking?

Comment

Hi Dolly! No i had to withdraw for awhile. I have rheumatoid arthritis and its been a nightmare to try to regulate. Work is hard enough without anything else. Its tough getting old. So glad to see you here
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

A little late to respond BUT a polydactyl. LOVE the polydactyls. Love em. Honestly those extra toes don't matter in the least, just extra nails to clip. I have never heard of a vet removing extra toes.

I have a polydactyl with the mitten style feet and she is also a manx...no tail. OMG she is a hoot. All black, 7 lbs and named Smudge.

I DO NOT do puppies or kittys. I rescue and I always rescue older BUT I do know in fostering and working with way too many cats that kittens much like puppies do mellow out. Honestly they do lol. If he is climbing on things you can clip their nails. I clip all my crew...I think declawing is cruel as it's actually a partial amputation. But that is neither here nor there. Kitty nails can get clipped quite a bit shorter than dog nails and if you quick em they stop bleeding almost immediately.

We have 3 dogs and 5 cats of which 2 are fosters. Every Sunday is nail day. I have two dogs I dremel, one who needs to be clipped and all the cats. Hubby and I can get all 8 animals done in less than 45 minutes.

Post a picture. I'd love to see your new little naughty feline lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X