Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Need Help

When I brought Scooter to his internist back in April for his annual I told him how pleased I was with getting a handle on his diabetes. He also was pleased it was under control. But then he said something that has stayed with me every day since.

"I don't know how happy he is, though"

I cannot get that out of mind. It has changed the way I look at Scooter.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Need Help

My mom and her chihuahua, Louie, lived with me for about 12 years. After mom passed away, Louie got depressed and I thought I was going to lose him. He wasn't eating real well and he would cry a lot. I would wrap him in a blanket and rock him and talk to him. We were mourning together, I guess. Months passed and Louie picked up weight, started wagging his tail again and at 14 years old was his old self again, even though he was partially blind and totally deaf and only had about 3 teeth left. He slept a lot, but I knew he was okay with things. He was content. When he was 16, he suddenly became very ill and he couldn't pull through it. He let me know he was tired. I could see it in his eyes.

I know there are days when Daisy is under the weather. I often think like Scooterspal, is she happy? Have all these shots and pokes and the ups and downs of regulation had its toll on her? I'm sure it has, but like Louie, I'm sure she'll let me know when she's had enough. We're just enjoying each others company for now.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Bosco is an Angel

I had to put Bosco down. She was 14 years old. She had diabetes for 5 years.
At the beginning of summer her eyesight was failing. She would no longer take walks because she couldn't see good or hear.
Yesterday when we got up in the morning she was blind. She couldn't find her bowls. She was walking into things. In the afternoon, I noticed she kept falling down. I picked her up & put her down up the carpet to see if she could walk on the carpet. It was better but she fell down. I tried outside on the grass but the same thing happened. She lost control of her back legs and Bosco could no longer walk.
I new this was the end. Three hours later Bosco was shaking uncontrollably. It seemed like she was in pain. Her condition deteriorated rapidly.
This was the hardest thing I have ever done. I did not want to be the one to make that decision. I held her and kissed her and told her how much I loved her but I could not look at her body once she was dead.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Bosco is an Angel

It sounds like you got some bonus time with bosco with earlier thoughts of letting him go . I am glad you got that time to say goodbye . Its probably the hardest thing to do and we do it because we love them
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 AM
Founding Member

So very sorry for your loss. I know how it hurts to let our older doggies go.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Wishing you peace knowing you did everything you could
for Bosco and May you find comfort as you remember
all the wonderful times you two shared
Old 11-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Administrator

I am so sorry that Bosco has passed. It is so hard... harder than ever once you have lived with the daily routine of diabetes for five year. It builds such a strong bond.

Bosco was obviously a cherished member of your family and that's the most important thing. Bosco knew she was loved.

Natalie