Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparky Love is an angel June 23, 2014...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sparky Love

We'll give it a shot. Thank you!
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

just to put it out there my jesse gets one meal a day and thats in the evening

she gets a small snack in the morning a smaller dose of insulin so it is something that can be done if you cant do the morning meal

for me i would have just reduced the morning meal and gave a reduced dose to how much is fed and as time goes on she may accept a bit more over time as she gets use to the morning feeding .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Well, having Sparky skip dinner last night in the hopes that he would be hungry for breakfast didn't work. And he's now demanding to be hand fed - which I do NOT want to make a habit of. This whole battle over breakfast is creating behavioral issues that he has never had before. I'm already feeling a little worn down, and I've been dealing with Sparky's diabetes for less than 2 weeks.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Can you switch his times? Maybe he is just not hungry until later? I don't know if your schedule allows but you could change that 12 hour window.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Right now we're trying for 8:00 am and pm. That's a good idea, to try making it a little later. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

Comment

Changing the time of his feeding didn't work :-(

Comment

I can't really offer advice as my baby was just diagnosed on 3/10. Like you, I'm new to this. I also free-fed. I have six dogs, all in the house, and free-feeding was the way to go. With Baxter's diabetes diagnosis, those days are soon to be over. They're currently still free-feeding, but that's only b/c Baxter's neuropathy has him bed-bound. I take his food and water to him. Usually, he eats about half the food, and I feed the rest of it to him on a spoon. I hope I'm not spoiling him too much, but I'm determined to get the same amount of food into him each day along with the same amount of insulin. So far, so good.

I hope you find something that works for your little one. I'm sure you will. Maybe he is still adjusting from free-feeding to scheduled feedings. Before I knew Baxter was sick, I decided I'd start trying to feed on a schedule (once a day). My Lab didn't eat for 2 days. Not one bite! When Baxter becomes mobile again, I have to stop the free-feeding. I should stop it now, but I have been so focused on Baxter (and with very little sleep on top of it) that I just haven't wanted the extra aggravation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cara Sandler View Post
                  Well, having Sparky skip dinner last night in the hopes that he would be hungry for breakfast didn't work. And he's now demanding to be hand fed - which I do NOT want to make a habit of. This whole battle over breakfast is creating behavioral issues that he has never had before. I'm already feeling a little worn down, and I've been dealing with Sparky's diabetes for less than 2 weeks.

i went threw this with fred in the beginning wouldnt eat breakfast took some time to get him to do it..i had to give him something he would really like, like an egg in with his food so maybe trying something he really enjoys till he gets use to eating in the am..best of luck to you you will get to a good place i promise..it just takes time and a lot of patience
                  sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

I'm looking at switching him to Acana Light & Fit. The caloric breakdown looks very similar to the prescription food that Sparky is now refusing to eat. It's VERY expensive, but at this point, not having to fight with him at every meal is worth every penny! I just hope he likes it.

Comment

Well, Acana Light and Fit is apparently not available in the US at all. Trying to come up with other options. Apparently, in addition to Sparky being diabetic, his blood lipids are EXTREMELY high, which puts him at high risk of pancreatitis. So he really does need a food not only low in carbs, but low in fat too. Sigh.......

Comment

Originally posted by nikki712 View Post
                        I can't really offer advice as my baby was just diagnosed on 3/10. Like you, I'm new to this. I also free-fed. I have six dogs, all in the house, and free-feeding was the way to go. With Baxter's diabetes diagnosis, those days are soon to be over. They're currently still free-feeding, but that's only b/c Baxter's neuropathy has him bed-bound. I take his food and water to him. Usually, he eats about half the food, and I feed the rest of it to him on a spoon. I hope I'm not spoiling him too much, but I'm determined to get the same amount of food into him each day along with the same amount of insulin. So far, so good.

I hope you find something that works for your little one. I'm sure you will. Maybe he is still adjusting from free-feeding to scheduled feedings. Before I knew Baxter was sick, I decided I'd start trying to feed on a schedule (once a day). My Lab didn't eat for 2 days. Not one bite! When Baxter becomes mobile again, I have to stop the free-feeding. I should stop it now, but I have been so focused on Baxter (and with very little sleep on top of it) that I just haven't wanted the extra aggravation.
                        Yes, be very careful with the hand feeding - it may not be an issue for you, but I have to travel sometimes for work, and it's unfair for me to ask the person who takes care of Sparky when I travel to sit there and hand feed him, in addition to doing everything else necessary to care for a diabetic dog. It may be a different situation in your case, but my dog is very clearly trying to manipulate me, and I can't allow him to do that.

Comment

can you develop a home prepared diet . i did this for jesse early on and have kept it in place for years . for me it takes little time an effort . i prepare maybe 5 days in advance .

you can play around with ingredients you find appropriate that your pup seems interested in and maybe try them out separately

just a thought .
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yes, I'm looking into a home prepared diet now. I think that might be the way to go.

Comment

Great news! I was able to get Sparky into a clinical trial for eye drops which will (hopefully) prevent cataract formation. The study drug is called Kinostat. I definitely recommend looking into it.

Comment

That's great, Cara.

Search this forum for kinostat and you will find some information on the trials.

There was a member here who was going to participate in a study, a year or two back.
                                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                                X