Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fua became an Angel December 21, 2016

Hi everyone

I would just like to thank you all for your very kind and loving messages. Fua's last day - 21 Dec 2016 - was spent with me, cuddling him, I gave him a nice bath which he loved, I fed him scrambled egg and toast (the only thing he would eat) and took him to the vets at 5.30pm. By 7pm, my vet had told me Fua only had a matter of days to live, due to kidney failure. My vet was being optimistic. I took Fua home and he died in my arms at 10.35pm. Fua survived for 13 months after being diagnosed with diabetes, he was completely blind after cataracts affected his sight in January 2016. Fua was the most amazing dog ever. I have literally thousands of videos and photos of Fua, something which has been an enormous comfort; Fua lived with us in Southern France, Wales and rural England, and latterly in rural Portugal, a country which he loved, for the wild scenery and beaches. Fua is survived by his 10-year old brother, a rescue greyhound dog, Ashley.

I had Fua cremated on Christmas Eve and in 2017 I am going to scatter his ashes on our land in Portugal, as well as at some of his favourite beaches south of Lisbon where we all spent many hot summers swimming and having fun.

Thank you for all your wonderful messages. I know it's a hard time of year if your dog has diabetes, or if you lost your dog in the past few years due to diabetes. My heart goes out to all the dogs that have been lost to this devastating illness.

The one thing that has helped with my grief is the countless messages I have received from well-wishers on this forum and on Facebook. Every single one of your messages has moved me deeply. I must mention David Tewell who put my graphic-design skills to shame by creating a truly beautiful photo of Fua sitting next to the rainbow bridge.

To everyone reading this, I hope your beautiful dogs are enjoying a wonderful Christmas, and I hope the New Year 2017 brings much joy, companionship and long walks with your lovely little boy or girl.

With love,
    Aron xx
    owner of Fua

Fua November 2002 - 21 December 2016
    Last edited by Fua2015; 12-27-2016, 01:51 PM.
    Fua is a cross-setter dog adopted from the Arc de Noel Rescue Centre in Nantes, France. Developed diabetes/possibly Cushings Disease in November 2015. 70% sudden sight loss around 20th/21st February 2016. Fua lives with his brother, Ashley - a greyhound-cross rescue dog - in England and Portugal.

Comment

• Aron,
      I've been offline for a few days and I'm just now learning of Fua's passing. I want to share my deepest condolences to you and your family. Your love of Fua shows greatly in your writing, and I'm sure he shared a deep love for you too.
      I hope the happy and warm memories of Fua (along with all the pictures and video) is a comfort to you and your family during this sad time.
      Sending cyber hugs your way, an extra belly rub for Ashley, and a kiss skyward for Fua.
      Audrey
      Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Hi Audrey,

Thank you so much for your condolences. I see from your own profile that you lost your beautiful boy, Bazzle, in May 2016. I'm sorry to hear this, but remember that Bazzle and Fua are now running around playing together in Heaven, and they are all at peace and safe.

Big hugs to you and your family, and a skyward kiss to Bazzle

Aron xxx
        Fua is a cross-setter dog adopted from the Arc de Noel Rescue Centre in Nantes, France. Developed diabetes/possibly Cushings Disease in November 2015. 70% sudden sight loss around 20th/21st February 2016. Fua lives with his brother, Ashley - a greyhound-cross rescue dog - in England and Portugal.

Comment

Just now seeing this. I am so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Fua.

Jake
          13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
          At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Hi Linda, thank you so much for your condolences.
            Last edited by Fua2015; 01-07-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

The one thing that has helped me through the dark winter days of grief after Fua died on 21 December has been looking at the sheer volume of photos and videos I took of Fua, over the past ten years. In this age of inexpensive mobile phones with good camera/video and inexpensive camcorders, I'd recommend to any dog owner to take as many photos and videos of your dog on a daily basis as you can, and you can even back them up, free of charge, to Google Photos. If you link your mobile phone to Google+, the phone will even back up the photos for you without you having to do anything. I have thousands of videos and pictures, all easily searchable, private and not publicly available, and saved safely for ever. It has helped me a lot in the grieving process to be able to see these videos and photos of how Fua was 1, 2, 5 and 10 years ago.

Here is a photo of Fua, with myself, and Ashley, the greyhound (non-diabetic, rescue dog, he is still doing well), photo taken in 2011 at our home in Portugal:

Fua (L), myself (C) and Ashley (R)

And another of Fua on the beach in 2011

and another shot of Fua and his brother, Ashley, taken in 2010

Last edited by Fua2015; 01-07-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X