Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roxy the Boxer

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
    Have any of you guys use the chicken and stew w/d??
    Been using the W/D chicken kibble for a total of about 6 years between Otis & Sonny. Never heard of the stew until now.

Like Joan, I "enhance" the prescription kibble to make it more appealing to the patient. We prepare 1/2 chicken about every 5 days in the crock pot. Remove all skin and visible fat and cook it on a grate so it's not in the juices. Dice up some chicken to add to the kibble for each meal. If I'm having Roast Pork Loin, or Ground Chuck or something else which is low fat, I get as much fat as possible out of it, and give Sonny his "share" for a couple days to provide some variety. He also gets ~1/3 of a hard boiled eqq diced into his W/D brunch snack.

Otis loved it, as does Sonny.
    Last edited by farrwf; 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

The stew wasn't out when we were coaxing Maggie to try and eat prescription. She is on a stew now and loves it. Have you tried soaking the kibble until it is mushy and mixing it in? Your dog may feel the kibble is too much. Maggie became very very picky when she was diagnosed. She did have pancreatitis though.

I have found anytime I changed to all canned, I had to use less insulin. I switched to do an allergy food trial once to all canned and it was a nightmare. It was mostly rabbit, very little carb and she would go to the 40's -60's every few hours so she ate about five times a day. She acted like she could eat the house house down. She loved the food - it had no staying power.

My advice is just test often to make sure it has enough substance to keep her in a good range.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hey guys just stopping by to ask another question. So Roxy is getting super smart when I go to give her her shot.. That now she is running and hiding and as soon as she sees the needle she starts to whine....

Any advice ?

( p.s. She is my drama dog it takes over 5 guys to hold her down at the vet just to clip her nails)

Comment

if you have other animals that you can do fake test with maybe roxy would get jealous

my daughters pup staying with me while she is going to college would definitely be afraid if he was the only dog and getting shots but since jesse ( the family dog ) is diabetic and gets shots and we also test blood sugar my daughters pup teppie wants to get in on the attention and doesn't want to be left out and enjoys the fake shots and tests and expects it
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

If you have a few extra minutes you might do something Roxy really enjoys, like playing ball, or of course a tiny treat? Sometimes I grab the area where I'm going to inject and just give it 3-4 tugs, and then inject during the next tug (although Annie is blind and can't see me holding the syringe)

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks guys I will see if I can "try" with my other dog. After I give Roxy her shot I rub the spot down really good and tell her she's a good girl,then I give her a small piece of turkey. She's totally fine once I'm done though.

Comment

my drama dog finally caved when I started giving special treats for shots. we used duck jerky. I had to let her know that I was going to win this battle. Mine was a lot smaller than yours though!
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

So this morning and tonight was really bad. She knows that she gets the shot when she gets done eating. She refused to eat this morning. I ended up getting her to eat some so I could give her the shot. Tonight was bad she didn't come to me at all when i brought out her food and turkey.

So I started cooking dinner and then she ate a bite or two of her food (still hand feeding) and that was about it. Lucky I had a big can of the chicken and stew w/d.

I started giving her turkey As a treat also when I give her the shot and she doesn't care she just starts crying.

Tonight was so sad I just went to sit beside her and she started crying and I didn't even have her shot.

Any advice would be greatful.

Comment

Another quick question... Where do you give the dog their shots on the body? I was told on her side anywhere between the front shoulder to her hind but on her side.

Comment

i give jesses shot on the backside maybe 6 inches up from the tail on either side of the spine . i give it to her while she is eating ( keep me from forgetting )

i know its hard write now but i have yet to see someone not able to figure out a way to make it work
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I inject Maggie down her back but to the side(never over the spine). I did use and was told to use the scruff but it was painful for Maggie and absorption is not good there.

I think that she is playing on your emotions. She can feel your stress and it might be stressing her too. I know in the beginning, most of us are afraid and nervous because we are desperate for them to feel better and we don't want to screw it up. My hands would shake so hard and I was so bad at giving shots. Really bad. I was trying to tent her skin. I stuck myself and even injected myself once. Plus, my dog wasn't eating. Anything. At all. She wasn't going to eat prescription food. So, I was a wreck before I even got to the shot because I had begged, pleaded and coaxed her for an hour.

The shots are not that painful. Are you sure you are just injecting under the skin and aren't moving the needle or something? Are you warming up the insulin? Cold insulin can sting. If all of this is ok, it has to be the drama of building up to it. I would just spend some fun time with her before her meal maybe playing or just sit petting her (whatever she likes) and stay calm. She might be stubborn and think she is going to "talk" you out of it by being sad.

Maybe you need a better treat too. Something she only gets at shot time. My dogs love any of those freeze dried meat treats like Primal or Stella and Chewy's. Stella's makes these meal mixers and they are already in little nuggets. I use them as treats. Plato has an organic chicken treat that is another favorite. These treats aren't bad and won't add a bunch of fat/calories. They are mostly meat.

Another product some use is inject-ease. You might look into it.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hey guys,

I have a few more quick questions. Since I was here last we have gotten so much better with her shots. I am still handing feeding her the w/d "gel soft food" and she gets half a can of the w/d chicken and stew which she loves. While she is eating the chicken and stew is when i give her the shot and she doesn't even notice it.

My first question is this ( I have 2 dogs only 1 is diabetic)
                          Sunday when my husband and i went out for awhile we came home and found a small amount of diarrhea in our hall way. Like 3 small spot with a tad bit of hard in it. ( sorry i know to much info)
                          Monday we went to work and came home from work and there was more diarrhea in our dinning room. I don't know how much because my husband got home first and he cleaned it up. I have a feeling it is Roxy ( she always acts guilty when she thinks she does something wrong. )

any advice on what could be causing that?

2. I noticed on her left front paw in between her "fingers" one of them is bright red with a little spot on it. she is always licking it. ( I just noticed it last night)

any advice on that? Is there anything I could for that?

Comment

Hard to tell which pup is sick. Years ago we had three dogs and one look guilty even if one of his brothers did something wrong.

You better do something about the toe problem, sounds like an infection. As you know, diabetics are more inclined to infections because of the higher blood glucose that can "feed" the infection.

Craig
                            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                              Hard to tell which pup is sick. Years ago we had three dogs and one look guilty even if one of his brothers did something wrong.

You better do something about the toe problem, sounds like an infection. As you know, diabetics are more inclined to infections because of the higher blood glucose that can "feed" the infection.

Craig
                              Should i try anything at home first? or just make an appointment and take her to the vet?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
                                Should i try anything at home first? or just make an appointment and take her to the vet?
                                Let's see what others say. I hate running to the vet for everything, but don't know if you will be needing antibiotics.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X