Does Can-C work for cataracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Can-C work for cataracts

We have a 8 yr old regulated Schnauzer that developed cataracts and went blind in less than 2 weeks after we noticed it. I know 75% get cataracts but it's just hard to accept and I won't say we were prepared for it. We looked into the surgical option and with all the "what if's" and possible side effects were torn. The last thing I want to do is lose my dog to complications.

Has anyone tried the Can-C and does it work?

Re: Does Can-C work for cataracts

None of the drops offered out there have any effect significant effect on canine diabetes-induced cataracts because the lens is physically destroyed.

Our veterinary ophthalmologist takes the position that all such drops are essentially quack medicine as far as diabetes-induced cataracts are concerned.

The lens gets cloudy because its structure is actually broken down by the excess glucose and there's no recreating that structure. The lens can, in very rare instances (Kathy's dog Lucky was one) eventually liquefy completely, restoring some vision - equatable I think to removing the lens and not putting in an implant.

However, that's also a highly inflammatory process.

The best article I've seen on canine cataracts is this one: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1945&SourceID=

Our Chris was not a good candidate for surgery. At the time his blood sugar was poorly controlled plus he had a corneal defect that made them slow to heal and viral infections in his eyes and he was allergic to many of the antibiotic drops and heart disease... So we felt that in his case the risks of surgery were too great. Same concern - we didn't want to risk losing him just to restore his vision.

He spent four of his five years with diabetes blind and managed perfectly. He navigated the house when he felt like it and when he didn't feel so well from other problems he did a pinball sort of navigation. He went on walks every day, played in the snow, waded and swam in the river, and travelled 1,200 miles to Montana and back, staying in motels.

Because the cataracts do cause inflammation, that should be treated. Steroid drops are fairly inexpensive. We used Voltaren, an expensive but very effective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drop that kept the inflammation well controlled.

Natalie

Comment

I've been really trying not to pay attention to the talk about cataracts and blindness. Is it really true that 75% of diabetic dogs go blind? That makes me very sad, if it's true.

Where I realize that dogs can live a great life with no sight, I sure hope that doesn't happen to Oliver.
      My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Comment

Natalie - Thanks for the input. False hope I guess.

About the article, that's the same article my vet gave me. It seems to be the one I find the most when I google canine cataracts.

I felt even worse today when I got home. We took her in for the 1st Vet Opthalmologist visit yesterday for the surgery talk and she began non-steroidal Flurbiprofen last night. When I got home from work today I noticed her eyes were swelling shut. Before the vet visit yesterday & drops her eyes were perfect (except the cataracts). My own vet told me to discontinue the drops and give her a benadryl to make sure it wasn't an allergy. I guess we'll see later tonight.

Either way she is in good spirits and seems to be doing rather well considering how quickly her eyesite went. Our main concern is her health, attitude and comfort.

Comment

When my dog's eyes started to go (one eye at a time), the first eye got bad fast and looked as if she could barely open it too- this was because it was so inflammed (even on the drops) but after a few days on the drops she got better (the inflammation started to go away that is).

Hopefully it isn't an allergy but that i'm sure is the same drops I had her on at the time.

Not trying to push either way because all dogs are different etc etc... but I did end up with the surgery with my dog and it has gone very well so if you have questions I will help the best I can.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that she had a reaction to the flurbiprofen and hope the benedryl helped her out - has she taken NSAIDs before? Or maybe a preservative in it...

http://www.entirelypets.com/phflso.html

Description
            Flurbiprofen sodium ophthalmic solution 0.03% is a sterile topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory product for ophthalmic use.

Contains
            Active flurbiprofen sodium 0.03%.
            Preservative: thimerosal 0.005%.
            Inactive ingredients: polyvinal alcohol 1.4%; edentate disodium; potassium chloride; sodium chloride; sodium citrate; citric acid; hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH; and purified water.

If the benedryl oral doesn't work, an injection probably would. Chris had a reaction a few years ago to something - never did know what - and he had a somewhat anaphylactic reaction. His gums went white and he couldn't stand. Once he got a bit more stable, his face started itching like crazy. An injection of benedryl got it under control quickly.

I like that article because I feel like it does the best of all the ones I've seen of explaining the cataract and the inflammatory process and why the cataracts can't be fixed with anything but surgery.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Natalie

Comment

Lucy developed cataracts shortly after we got her (I suspect they were already developing).

I was amazed at how well she adapted. She had no problem navigating the house & yard (as long as I didn't move stuff around) and even knew when she was in the safe, open area so she could run.

Thankfully Lucy was adopted by a wonderful family who were able to have them removed and she can see now. But she was blind when I dropped her off and she had no problem adapting to her new home.

The complication rate is about 10% for the cataract surgery. Or, as Dr. David (Lucy's new dad) said "There's a 90% chance of success." I like the way he thinks.

Dogs don't react to blindness the way we do. They do pretty well.

This pic was taken on Lucy's last day with us. You wouldn't know she was blind...OR diabetic.

Rick
              Last edited by Fishslayer; 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wbwillyb View Post
                We have a 8 yr old regulated Schnauzer that developed cataracts and went blind in less than 2 weeks after we noticed it. I know 75% get cataracts but it's just hard to accept and I won't say we were prepared for it. We looked into the surgical option and with all the "what if's" and possible side effects were torn. The last thing I want to do is lose my dog to complications.

Has anyone tried the Can-C and does it work?
                Hi, My dog wilson also developed cataracts very fast. We decided to get the surgery done he had it done on May 5 2009. We are so pleased with the out come he can see great now. He does get some inflammation in his right eye so we use a steroid ointment which does clear it up. He also is on Flurbiprofen eye drops. If I can be any help I will be happy to assit you. Janie

Comment

Working...
                X