Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

That's fantastic news Dawn!

I have mixed feelings on injection areas. Some dogs do better with the scruff because they 'feel' it more in thinner areas and object (Judi's Jenny for example). The scruff can have a slower absorption rate because of fewer capillaries but that works to some dogs' advantage. And, you can rotate to some degree within the scruff area. I know Tami does this with her girls.

Other dogs get better results from rotating within the flank and side like Barb's Abby. Though some experience sharp drops because the insulin can be absorbed faster. I think it's worth experimenting with your dog to see what works best for him/her. I think it's an 'every dog is different' response and don't subscribe to one or the other as better in general.

Keep us posted on the food switch. I'm encouraged for you!

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
    We had a 'ground hog day' party this past weekend, and everyone was commenting on Abby and how well she looks. One of our friends stated that he wanted to be put on Abby's food, perhaps he would look as good
    LOL, love this Barb. And what fun, a ground hog day party!
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Dawn, great news about Bogie's eye checkup. As you know, my Bo went blind pretty suddenly and we are dealing with the issues associated with it, although we are adjusting pretty well because we must learn to take it all in stride. His bgs are like Bogie's, not perfect, but so much better than before. Just got to be grateful for all the good things that come our way, right? Good luck with the food change, will be interested to hear how it goes.
      Janie

Comment

Hi Janie,
        I am glad to hear that Bo is doing ok... Bo crosses my mind quite often as it seems he and Bogie have matched so many pro's and con's throughout this journey. Today I asked my Dr about the retina problem and cataracts. She explained to me that it is possible for the retina to detatch due to high pressures. She also said that he may have had a pre exisiting problem that caused the retinal condittion to progress. I know that isn'tt much help but I do hope that his next checkup is better.
        Please keep me posted on Bo as I would love to follow him.
        Always,
        Dawn
        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
          Hi Janie,
          I am glad to hear that Bo is doing ok... Bo crosses my mind quite often as it seems he and Bogie have matched so many pro's and con's throughout this journey. Today I asked my Dr about the retina problem and cataracts. She explained to me that it is possible for the retina to detatch due to high pressures. She also said that he may have had a pre exisiting problem that caused the retinal condittion to progress. I know that isn'tt much help but I do hope that his next checkup is better.
          Please keep me posted on Bo as I would love to follow him.
          Always,
          Dawn
          Thanks so much for the encouragement! The only odd thing about it is the opthamologist had told us what a good candidate Bo would be at the previous visit He was so surprised at the lack of retinal activity that he ran the test twice. So if there was a pre-existing problem, nobody ever mentioned (or caught it). We still have fingers crossed that inflammation was the cause and is being treated, but we also have to be ready to accept it might not be. I'll post our next visit results on my thread. Janie

Comment

Great update on the eyes. Wishing you the best with the food switch.
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

• ??? About low numbers prior to feeding and insulin

Hi Guys,
              I have a question?? Today @ noon I checked Bogies BG and it was 150 then tonight one hour before his dinner he was @ 123 That is Bogies lowest number thus far. I thought I should bring his numbers up a little before dinner and shot so I gave him about 6 kibbles and some chicken. I waited 35 min and rechecked and he was up to 234. So I fed him and gave him his insulin...

Did I handle this correctly or should I have done it differently... Feed and wait to give shot etc. Since I am going to be switching his diet in a few days I am looking for some help on what I would do should I get numbers like this again.

Thanks
              Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

The morning and evenings are in the low to mid 300’s with an occasional mid 200 and I know his nadir is around 160 to 170.
                Since his pattern has been to come down quite a bit from fasting, I think you were wise to bring his fasting up. If he continues to trend lower you can always cut back insulin a little too.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Well, My 4 pound box of Zeal arrived today I will start transitioning Bogies new diet on Friday when I will be home to keep an eye on him... I should say like a hawk
                  I will keep you posted on our newest transition.

Comment

Dawn,

Good luck... you may want to read, if you haven't already Yoshi's thread. She transistioned Yoshi over to Zeal a few weeks ago.

Barb
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Dawn,

Good luck with the transition!!!!

Yoshi began his transition last Thursday and what a difference! I am utterly thrilled!!!! Can't say enough about Honest Kitchen. I thank my lucky stars I joined this group to learn about the product. Barb has been such an asset with promoting Honest Kitchen (intentional or unintentional), I thank you Barb.

I don't know if you have ever read the article where high triglycerides in miniature schnauzers can be associated with kibble, let alone mini's being prone to high triglycerides on their own.

For at least a few weeks prior to the food change Yoshi's fasting BG's were in the high 30's (mid 500's up) low 40's (720) ...yes they reached 40 (720). I was beside myself but also knew from past experience Yoshi's triglycerides were high once again....kibble being the culprit I was positive.

I am happy to report since last Thursday Yoshi's insulin has been reduced from 5.5 units to the current 4.5 units.
                      Yesterday morning Yoshi's insulin was reduced to 4.5 units and I am pleased to report his 6:00 pm fasting last night was 15 (270) and this morning's 6:00 am fasting was 16.7 (300).

I like you stayed home with Yoshi to watch over him...took the Thursday off, Friday was a snow day and than it was the weekend. Thankfully so as one of his four hour out readings was 5.7 (102) and that evening's reading three hours out of injection was 4.4 (79) which prompted the immediate second reduction of insulin. From past experience I was very aware of what happens when kibble is removed from Yoshi's diet and his triglycerides begin to come into check.

Best of luck with the switch! Please watch Bogie closely!
                      Debbie - Yoshi, April 28, 2002 to May 7, 2013, Running pain free seeing everything.

Comment

Wishing you success Dawn!

Comment

• Day 1 of 4

We started our food switch this morning... Day 1 of 4. Bogie loves Zeal Wish us luck
                          Last edited by BogiesMom; 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Good luck! Love the new avatar picture!
                            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Good luck with the food change.
                              I too love Bogie's avatar... so cute
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

• Day 2 of 4

Hi Everyone,

Today is Day 2 in our food change...

Yesterday went well Bogie eats and cleans his dish of both kibble and zeal but goes for the zeal first. His fasting BG was 253 last night and this am 289 (close to everyday numbers).
                                His stools relmains very good and he is active and healthy.

This am we started half zeal and half kibble...

Thank you for the avatar compliment... That was Bogies when he was 2 years old

Comment

Working...
                                X