People's reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People's reactions

Just thinking about the way people react to Ruby's Diabetes...makes me ANGRY Apparently people think I fed her cola and choc chip cookies every day...poured sugar down her throat...First response seems to be what did I do to her, what did I feed her, how did I cause it? Well I did not cause this...People need to learn about diabetes! Ruby will now be working on educating people...

After "what did you do to her" I get "and how much is that gonna cost?"
    I dont care what it costs, Ruby will get the best care I can afford. How much does you're daily coffee cost? What about your beer? What about your cell phone bill? Its all relative...

Ruby is priceless

Sorry for the Rant...
    Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Re: People's reactions

She sure is special mom & you are doing a great job with her despite her challenges with shots.

Had both my dogs at my folks over Memorial Day weekend. My father took Decker out to potty while I was still at my brother's house. When we got home he mentioned casually that we may have to make a difficult decision soon because Decker seemed to be in a lot of pain. Now my dad is a vietnam vet and has seen his share of suffering. He also had to make the choice to have my brother's great dane put to sleep (because he was suffering) while my brother was on his second tour in Iraq. BUT, I was still upset and told him I was not ready to go there just yet. He came to visit over fourth of July and pulled me aside to let me know Decker seemed to be looking a bit better and he hoped he would continue to come around.

Sometimes people are just careless and rude in what they say but sometimes they are speaking from a perspective we may not fully comprehend.

So glad you are here! Seems everyone here understands all too well the love we have for our fur babies.
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Pain is no fun

Our Paws are crossed for Decker and you...
      Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Comment

Like the saying goes..... You can't fix stupid!! So many people just can't understand why we do what we do for our babies!!! They are a part of our family... Would you put mom down because she had severe neuropathy or went blind from her diabetes???

We've all come in contact with these type of people..... And thats one of the reasons we're all here!! We can relate, sympathize, cheer successes, and rant to one another because we care!!! And we always will, because that's what kind of people WE are!!! And now you're one of us!!!!

Sandy

Comment

Ah, the hell with those people, some of my family members said I was tied down to my dog, they haven't a clue what a best friend is, I'd of rather been with my Niki than with any of them.

Dolly and Angel Niki
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Amen (Sandy and Dolly)!! I have been told the same thing ("being tied down by my dogs") by family members. If only they knew the unconditional love my dogs give me. Wouldn't trade their love for anything.

Comment

I never got the reaction that I must have done something wrong, what I do get is how can you spend so much money on a cat (at first) and then on a cat and dog. Then a friend started going on about how I was unfair to Poppy, that she was suffering and the kind thing would be to have her put down.

My response is also it's my choice how I spend money, I don't buy lunches and endless coffee, don't buy lottery tickets etc. And as to Poppy suffering, she had a few days when she wasn't too happy, but suffering? I think not. She's a 10 year old lab with nothing wrong with her aside from diabetes, and to have her put down for that at this point wouldn't be fair to her.

I must say I like being "tied down" by the animals. I hate traveling, hate going out in the evenings, now I can say, I can't do that, Poppy needs her shot.

Comment

Never got a reaction like that. People who know me know that Otis is a family member and is accorded everything that supposes.

Have had comments made, actually queries, about different expenses associated with different issues we;ve gone through, but that's about it.
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I also get a little frustrated by folks who think diabetes is a disease of punishment for bad behavior. I don't even believe that with type II diabetics as I think there's a lot more to any diagnosis of this disease.

I have found myself telling folks my dog had diabetes and then immediately telling them - it's not because she's plump or anything. It's more like Type I and it just happens. I get that feeling of immediate shame that folks want to cast at the idea that I caused Zoe's diabetes.

Well, look at her! She's trim, fit, exercises a bunch. My dog is more fit than I am, that's for sure, and I had nothing to do with her disease. Even before she was diagnosed, I was extremely disciplined about her eating because of her allergies.

And my friends have been frustrated because it's hard for me to do things around 5 pm because she will need her shot at 6pm, but I've managed and they have come to deal with it. It is what it is, and Zoe is a priority in my life.
                  Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I didn't get to do the diabetes stuff with Rivie, but my sister is type 1 (juvenile) diabetic and people have said things to her about it. For example, we both work at Walgreens, and we do a lot of fundraising for JDRF. My sister asked a man if he would like to donate a dollar while she was ringing him up, he told her no and that it wasn't a real disease and it was stupid. She got offended and told him she had type 1 diabetes, his response 'well maybe you shouldn't eat so much chocolate.' Really?! If I had heard that, I probably would no longer have a job. I get that some people don't understand the difference between the different types or know much about the disease in general, but I don't get why some people have to be so rude about it.

Comment

As someone who's been around for awhile, I've long ago given up trying to understand people's reactions - whether it's to diabetes, care for diabetics, training dogs, or any of a number of issues.

I guess that's why I enjoy my dogs' company so much!

Comment

I'm lucky I have a family who has two diabetics; my mom and my aunt, both type 1. And dogs are such close members in our families, too. I know a few of my husbands co workers thought we were crazy to do this, but you know what, Geeg is a member of the family. You do what you gotta do.
                        Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

I don't talk about the diabetes aspect of Hank much anymore...folks are just not interested in any of that stuff. Oh, they'll listen if I want to talk about a funny thing he did the other day but when I need to share my concerns over something medical with him...I just come here. No one gets it like everyone here and most folks just don't quite get my devotion to Hank. He's just a dog.

Or I will get the money question...or more like...gee that must be expensive. Well, yeah...but he's my entertainment budget. I don't do a lot of stuff out of the house so the money I would have spent goes to my babies.

I do wish my family was more inclined to understand but they don't...and it's not likely they will. My dad is pressuring me to go to Florida to visit an ailing aunt. I want to go but feel like I just can't leave Hank. It's a horrible spot to be put in.

It's a tough world out there in some respects when it comes to our babies and their disease. Thank god every day that we have this place!
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Both my parents just died last month. My sis and bro HATE ME AND MY DOG.

Because Side is a medically needy dog, I couldn't just fly across the country to "visit". He not only is a diabetic, but cushings and 5 other diseases.

Dad said he would pay for A flight. I told him our situation and he understood I couldn't on a whim just fly back. That I had ONE vet who was willing to take him for 7 days, in the office during the day, and she would take him to her home at night. I thought this was wonderful of her to do. A one shot deal. And even that would be stressful for him. Stress is terrible with a diabetic/cushing dog. Stress is stress. I didn't want to "kill him" to "visit" the parents. Dad understood that.

I was told by my brother (after they had both passed) "you picked your DOG over your PARENTS".........

The morning of my dads funeral, both sis and bro were PUSHING ME OUT THE DOOR......."when are you leaving, don't you have to get back to your DOGGGGG?????" "What about your doggggg???" Aren't your worried about your DOGGGG?????"

Dad understood. He waited up for me to arrive late at night. First thing he asked about was "how is Side".........

I had told dad I would be there for his passing. I was.

Mom had already died from ALZ they even forget how to swallow, she died of lack of food and water, dad died early AM of moms funeral.

My sis and bro HATE ME AND MY DOG.

Mom was 95 with ALZ. Dad (93) was diagnosed with leukemia in Feb. 2012, he willed himself to live until mom passed, & until I came home. He died 4 days after mom. both died at home.

My sister and brother treated me like dirt the entire time I was there.

There is just no talking to people like them. I have peace knowing my dad knew how much Side meant to me, and that his care was utmost important.
                            Last edited by spiritdog6; 08-18-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

i worry about the same thing my brother died in reno i was able to bring jesse up there for his memorial but could not fly back to new-jersey where he was laid to rest i have missed weddings babies, vacations with my children the list goes on but thats who i am

this is a big challenge for many of us who do not want to leave our dogs thinking if we came back they would be gone

jesse is not a stable diabetic and i do not trust her with anyone else and if i did and something happened there would be allot of guilt on both sides

it would be difficult to convince anyone who has not worn your shoes and feel the way you do your peace is with your mom and dad who definitely understand hopefully in time your other family members will come to terms with that also and most times they do after the pain subsides
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                              X