Help Very High Glucose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mollie's Curves

I'd say a half unit is safe. Check her nadir number regularly to make sure it stays maybe above 90, which is still normal. See how fastings go as you move forward.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Re: Mollie's Curves

The half unit may not have a huge effect on that nadir, but you wouldn’t want it to drop too much. As long as you test frequently at first, you should be ok.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Help Very High Glucose

Hi, Mollie is not doing well today. Her last full curve numbers were on 4/8, I missed the 2PM test
        4/8/2018 429 329 297 210 329 626
        Yesterday I noticed that she was drinking a great deal of water around noon and checked for ketones and BG with the meter, Negative for ketones with the test strip
        6 AM 362
        12 380
        2 445
        Today she was acting very lethargic
        12 636
        2 740
        3 614
        I went and got some Novolin R and then realized that I have no idea if it is necessary or even what dose I should give her or if I should just continue testing for the remainder of the day.
        I would really appreciate some help today
        Thanks you
        Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
        She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day
        Using AlphaTrack2 for home testing

Comment

Re: Help Very High Glucose

Be careful with the R, Daisy is 19lbs and can only take about 1/4 unit. 1/2 unit drops her so fast and so far down, it scares me. They're just so little.

Looking at her past curves, I'm wondering if she has an infection somewhere.
          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Yea, an infection is certainly a likely suspect. Let your vet take a "look see" at Mollie.
            Last edited by farrwf; 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
              Yea, an infection is certainly a likely suspect. Let your vet take a "look see" at Mollie.
              Thank you both i will call the vet today.
              Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
              She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day

Comment

Hi everyone, about 4 weeks ago I was traveling and Mollie refused to eat the Hills w/d, after the second time I began feeding her Wellness Adult Small dog food which is what my other pup eats i contacted the vet and was advised to continue with the food and change the insulin to 3 units and do another curve
                1/3 c Welness
                1 tsp pumpkin
                1/4 c green beans 6 am/pm
                3 u Novolin NPH
                Advised to increase insulin to 4 units and made an appointment for yesterday
                8/21
                676,677,485,589,617,534, 545
                Yesterday a full workup, liver enzymes, ALP 1238, normal range 20-150
                ALT 613, normal range 10-128
                Glucose 447 mg/dl
                Urine sent to lab for culture
                Cushings test scheduled for next Friday
                I know the liver is a real problem, what I don't understand if with such high numbers it will be treatable
                R/Xs prescribed yesterday
                Flurbiprofen inflammation eyes
                Metrronidazole antibiotic
                Demarin

8/12 curve, 2 hour intervals from 6 am to 6 pm
                353, 677,485,589,617,534,545

She is totally blind but gets around the house and yard with no issues
                Totally deaf
                Her weight is 8.1, down a pound since february and 5 pounds since she was diagnosed 4/17
                I would appreciate any advice regarding her current condition
                T

Comment

well there were 3 changes that happened from what you posted . One she refused to eat WD the other you changed the diet because of that and raised the dose

Just raising the dose can make things worse and drive them higher .

How has regulation been ?
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

A change in food can be a significant factor. Totally different carb ratios, etc. It may just be a case of needing to take the time to re-regulate on this new food.
                    Some curves and insulin adjustment.
                    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                      well there were 3 changes that happened from what you posted . One she refused to eat WD the other you changed the diet because of that and raised the dose

Just raising the dose can make things worse and drive them higher .

How has regulation been ?
                      She has been very difficult to regulate 4 to 6 weeks great then a week or two with crazy numbers.
                      The changes in insulin were made because of the vets advice, when she was eating w/d she was receiving 5 to 6 units of insulin. Thursday the vet decided to leave the dose at 4 until all of the lab results were back and Mollie would have been on the meds for at least a week.

I am most worried right now about the liver enzymes being so high, we see the vet again on Friday I will do another curve on Thursday

Comment

Hope things settle down . Jesse has had many ups and downs in her diabetic life
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                        X