Chris passed away August 1, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chris - 14 years old

You all said I could whine, so here goes (it's a doozy)...

I've been down with a nasty flu bug combined with some kind of muscle spasm on one side above the right hip that makes walking painful and only some sitting and lying positions halfway comfortable. The two together are making me really cranky!!

Chris has been panting like a fiend and making me anxious. I gave him a Lasix today and he seems a little perkier but then I worry about killing his kidneys. His BG is fine, his heart rate remains high but not astronomical... I can only guess that he's winded and uncomfortable from the chronic lung inflammation and/or the enlarged heart pressing on his larynx as the Lasix does seem to help. I've read that it can help the lungs even before it manages to reduce any fluid buildup. It's the first one I've given in three days.

So the dog's freaking me out, my relatives are driving me crazy, I feel like crap on multiple levels, and I had to drive 20 miles to take Gus in for a blood draw. They're checking his blood for calcium levels, potential anemia from the chemo, and whatever else might show up. Gus seems lethargic. Not miserable but not content either. At least excretory systems seem to be functioning.

Bleah...

I've also been sad as I stopped by the CDMB and so many of Chris' "buddies" - dogs who were there when we joined or whose owners I had more of a connection with - have lost the fight in the last few weeks.

Kind of sorry I started this....

But I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow.

Natalie

Comment

Darn! I almost missed this whole "whining post!" I want in on it too!!!!

Nat, I know how you feel when you say you feel better when Chris feels better. Don't need the flu/muscle spasm thing on top of pets that don't feel well. I know if I have a headache day it's a lot better timing if the critters are all feeling OK.

What does the vet say about what Gus might be feeling with the chemo? Do they have nausea? Lght headedness? Maybe just the BLAHS????

I'm lucky, Bubba is acting ike his old self, feisty, picking on others, running and sailing over the gate we have between the dining room and kitchen. I really would like to get that on video one day, something to look back on. He is so graceful. It's not a jump, it's flying and going an extra 6 feet. It makes me smile.

Oh Chris. You've been through so much.

I've been sad too with the recent pet loss. Way too many, that's for sure.

Wishing you all a feel better day tomorrow, one that lasts and lasts.
      Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
      Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Hey Denise, please feel free to whine here! I hate to do it alone.

I'm feeling better finally. Chris goes up and down daily. Some days okay, some not so good.

I've been experimenting with different types of carbs to give him since he tends not to want to eat the pasta unless it's covered in tri-tip juice, which kind of defeats the purpose of a mild diet... have actually been using cheesy crackers this week. He's definitely in favor of those. And I picked up a different kind of vitamin supplement as a tablet that so far I've been able to get him to eat so I don't have to use the powder.

Tried some kibble yesterday (Avoderm) but they never seem to work well for Chris. He likes it but his blood sugar goes a lot higher even though it's the same number of calories as the rice or pasta. I bought a sample size bag of Pinnacle kibble too and probably will be experimenting for a while.

All this is combined 50/50 with chicken.

He just seems to be tired of the mush consistency of canned food and cottage cheese so I'm trying to find something chewy or crunchy, which he likes a lot better.

Will post about Gus over on his thread.

Natalie

Comment

Jody!

You were on my mind with Shiner's plight going on... I was looking at the map thinking... Jody's not so far away!!

I'm very excited to hear that you've applied to foster!! I'm fairly certain I'd fail right into pet ownership but someday we might try it so we can be more mobile. I'd take Shiner in a heart beat if I could. I've just got a thing for black and white dogs especially, and cats!

I think you should take Betty's approach when her hubby said "It's me or the dog" and she said "It's been a nice 15 years, dear, but you knew who I was when you married me!" After all, if a dog makes you happy, that's what's important!!

Some of us need them to be happy.

Natalie

Comment

Quoting Nat

"So the dog's freaking me out, my relatives are driving me crazy, I feel like crap on multiple levels"

LOL, I hear ya, Nat just whine away, I fear this week or next week will be Chiefs time, he's getting that look, GDMT!! I can't stand it, and my relatives make me sick to my stomach!!!!!!!!!
            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Chris spent some time at the vet yesterday as a few weird things were making me concerned about him. I already had an appointment, for Gus so just brought Chris instead.

First, he hacked up a bark nugget on Monday. Which is weird for him. He's not a dog who grazes on inedible objects. He will lick dirt and occasionally eat a little grass and there was some grass with the bark nugget. But the bark was big enough - about 3/4" by 3/4" - that he wouldn't have just accidentally swallowed it! 8)

Then yesterday morning he had a marathon squat around the back yard like his butt was trying to kill him.

That and the panting and restlessness... and he let me trim six of his nails a little bit.... that's what really scared me!! So I decided to take him in.

An abdominal x-ray looked a little off and they were thinking he might have some kind of an obstruction. So they did a quick abdominal ultrasound - fortunately his vet is specially trained to do ultrasounds - and didn't see anything. Sent the x-rays to the vet school radiology department to review this morning and I fasted him in case they wanted to do a gastric x-ray with barium. Vet felt that everything I described suggested pain.

Took Gus and Chris in this morning. Radiology agreed that the x-rays looked "off" but felt we could wait and see how he does before putting him through a barium procedure so Chris got a free ride to the vet today and wandered around the examining room while we talked about Gus.

He seems pretty good today and slept better last night, though perhaps in part cuz we were at the vet for almost three hours yesterday and he was really pooped.

I've whittled Chris down to 57 pounds, which is perfect for him. So I'll increase his food a little and see if I can keep him at this weight. Now that he's about 8 pounds lighter, I have a much easier time lifting him into the SUV so didn't have to use the ramp, which is nice. With his screwed up back and hind legs, the ramp is tricky. He's also gotten used to being lifted in and doesn't thrash around anymore.

I knew we were gonna have to do an ultrasound cuz his fur was just starting to look normal after the last one - not fully grown out but getting close. So now he's a tri-level... his cute black spots are back along his tummy, then the half-regrown fur on the rest of his stomach and then his normal coat.

Two people yesterday asked me what kind of a mix he is and I had to tell them that literally no one knows, after two DNA tests!

Natalie

Comment

Here's hoping that Mr. Hammie will not need to do barium!

Comment

Hi Natalie,

Just checking to see how Chris is doing? Hope everything is ok. Hugs to you and him.

Luv,
                  Lynne and Lady
                  Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Natalie,

You mean Chris didn't even get a hammie out of all that? I'm so envious that your vet has an ultrasound machine!

I do hope that Chris is feeling better. I will have an interesting weekend with the 4th. Crissy will be terrified, but I bought some over-the-counter 'calming medicine', which is mostly alcohol. Think I'll just keep her tipsy!

Hugs,
                    Bonnie and Crissy

Comment

Bonnie,

Just a word of caution--alcohol lowers bg's. This is why people with diabetes are told to be careful when they use it.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims...20Interactions

"Alcohol, beta blockers, salicylates, oxytetracycline and monoamine oxidase inhibitors potentiate the hypoglycaemic effects of insulin".

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Medication_warnings

"Alcohol can strengthen the blood glucose-lowering effects of insulin. Though our pets don't use alcohol as people do, there are medications and supplements both by prescription and OTC, which contain alcohol as part of their ingredients. Reading labels carefully and being cautious when using meds containing alcohol can prevent possible hypos."

We used Bach's Five Flower with Lucky, but sparingly because of the alcohol content of it. He got a drop in his water in the morning and once again when I changed it in the afternoon/evening. You can smell the brandy the minute you open it--I said a St. Bernard should come with every bottle.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...1568&O=Generic

"The founder of the modern flower essences, Dr. Edward Bach (1886-1936) established the Bach Flower System: He found 37 individual plants, spring water and one combination of 5 plants (Rescue Remedy). The essences of the Bach Flower System are numbered from 1-39 and listened alphabetically from Nr. 1-Agrimony to Nr. 38-Willow. Bach prepared his remedies of flowers of non toxic wild plants, bushes and trees and spring water he found in the English countryside. He developed special methods of preparation using spring water, sun and decoction.

"English Flower Essences are concentrated (stock bottles) and have to be prepared before use. They were diluted in a solution containing 3 parts of spring water and 1 part of alcohol (vodka, brandy). To make a mixture for use in animals (and man) you add 2 drops of each essence per 10 ml solution. Only the famous Nr. 39 Rescue Remedy makes an exception: you add 4 drops of Nr. 39 per 10 ml water. A mixture can contain several essences.

"The dosage in small animals is about 1-5 drops 1-4 times a day--dependant on the species and the reaction of the animal. You can give the mixture into the mouth, add it to food or water or drop it on the head of the animal.

"The most famous remedy of the Bach Flower System is Nr. 39-Rescue Remedy, the only combination in the system. It is composed of 5 flowers: Nr. 6 Cherry Plum, Nr. 9 Clematis, Nr. 18 Impatiens, Nr. 26 Rock Rose, Nr. 29 Star of Bethlehem. It can be used in every case of emergency as a first aid medicament--in practice by the vets assistant, at home by the owner. You can drop a few drops on the head between the ears and repeat every 15-20 minutes until the animal gets quiet."

Lucky never had a hypo from anything, but when we decided to go with the Five Flower for some anxiety, we factored the blood glucose lowering effect of the alcohol into the dose he was getting. He got enough to make him less anxious but not enough that we needed to lower his insulin dosage.

I just wouldn't want Chrissie to avoid the firecrackers by having a hypo.

Comment

Well, he seemed okay yesterday, but today's he a bit delicate.

We did take him out for a hammie today and he came home and threw up part of it after his insulin and meds! So I'm gonna have to keep an eye on him and probably give him some syrup or see if he can take some more food.

If this continues, we may have to have the barium x-ray.

I'm wondering if he ate the bark nugget because he threw up into the bark in the yard and then ate it and that's how he picked up the bark piece.

Natalie

Comment

We Hope,

When Crissy gets so stressed by thunderstorms (had one between 1 and 4 AM this morning), her bg's go soaring, so the alcohol in her calming stuff shouldn't cause a hypo. It's also basically a combination of natural floral essences with the alcohol. I really didn't see much 'calming' with it's use this morning. She still paced and whined and barked. I got up with her, turned the TV up, and covered her with one of her blankets. She used to just want to go upstairs and hide under my bed (although she can only get her head under it), but in the last year she's gotten so much worse.

Natalie,
                          Chris' losing part of his hammie made me sad since we all know how much he enjoys them. Hope he's feeling better.

Bonnie and Crissy

Comment

I am just catching up after being away for awhile (sometimes our humans demand attention....ho hum), and I am hoping that Chris is feeling better. Really hoping that there is no need for a barium procedure...keeping fingers crossed.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

Comment

Hi Teresa,

Nice to see you here... how's Ricky doing? I heard through the grapevine that he wasn't feeling too well himself recently.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks everybody for wishing Chris well!

He hasn't thrown up today but has been a little slow moving and his poop was unusually dark tonight. Makes me wonder if he isn't having some kind of ulcer type issue with a little bit of bleeding.

He's been picky about his food too. Sometimes he turns down the cheese, sometimes the crackers. And I haven't given him any Lasix so this lack of interest in food is coming from something else.

I'll be in touch with the vet on Monday. I want to find out how involved the gastric study will be, especially regarding any anesthesia needed. Am wondering if we can make some changes and/or treat as if there's a stomach issue without doing the scan. I'm not real anxious to anesthetize him, even a little bit.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X