Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Maggie's having trouble getting around, help?

My original vet told me that testing at home was unnecessary and I listened to her. I just never thought that she could steer me wrong. She never did one curve either and unfortunately was testing Maggie at her highest point instead of her lowest. Not all dogs follow the "book" when it comes to insulin peak times and some drop lowest right before their next meal. So, my vet kept increasing. She had my 11 lb dog on 9 units of insulin at one point. What was really happening was she was overdosed and her body was releasing stored glucose to "save" her and pushing her numbers higher and she likely was having swings from low to high as well. Since their bodies can't continue that type of thing, she finally crashed. And that was it. I changed vets immediately and started testing at home.

When I approached the next vet, I told him testing was not negotiable and he wasn't thrilled but made me promise that I wouldn't change anything without his approval. That is the best possible thing until you learn your dog's patterns and how diabetes works. After a while of consulting him, He finally said that I didn't need to call him every time and he had confidence in my decisions. He always says that I know more about her than he does. So, you just have to work cooperatively but never forget that you have the right to make decisions - you are the advocate for your dog. Some vets just aren't used to having proactive clients.

Here are some links:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4195

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2243

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5895
Old 06-07-2016, 08:36 PM

These might help with slipping:

http://tinyurl.com/h6luy2m

I used them for my Labby when she was older. Check them periodically to be sure they aren't too tight around the ankles. They are like balloons for their feet.

Here is some info on B-12:

From a published Japanese study:
New evidence suggests that oral B12 works as well as injections, according to a study published in the journal Blood. This verifies reports from Sweden dating from the 1970s that pernicious anemia, a disease of B12 deficiency, can be controlled with oral B12. (people with pernicious anemia lack the intrinsic factor).
But another form, methylcobalamin, may be the best of all. Research shows that this active form of B12 has the unique ability to provoke the regeneration of nerves without adverse side effects.

And this from another study, Division of Neurology, KingKhalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:
We studied the clinical and neurophysiological effects of methylcobalamin on patients with diabetic neuropathy. In a double-blind study, the active group showed statistical improvement in the somatic and autonomic symptoms with regression of signs of diabetic neuropathy.
Methylcobalamin, which is the neurologically active form of B12.This B12 facilitates methylation, the process that creates and maintains nerves and brain chemicals.

The clinical study concerning B12/folate lowering BS is from the European Journal of Endrocrinology:
CONCLUSIONS: Folate and vitamin B12 treatment improved insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction, along with decreasing homocysteine levels, in patients with metabolic syndrome.
http://www.eje-online.org/content/151/4/483.abstract

I know of no time when B-12 has hurt and it could help.

Regardless I think the most important thing is to start home testing.

Know that others, Antonia and Eddie, Harley and several others have come here with similar issues and have made great progress.

I hope this gives you strength and hope.

Tara
Old 06-07-2016, 09:47 PM

I.d be going to my local pharmacy and pick up a glucose meter, lancets and strips

Start testing at fasting, 2 hours after food and insulin

This is a lifesaver for my dog. I have control of his diabetes
Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks all for the replies! I'm going to pick up a meter. I'm thinking of the AlphaTRAK since it's calibrated for dogs and I don't have to worry about the conversions. I'd hate to make a mistake. And it's only $55 on Amazon.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRamey View Post
Thanks all for the replies! I'm going to pick up a meter. I'm thinking of the AlphaTRAK since it's calibrated for dogs and I don't have to worry about the conversions. I'd hate to make a mistake. And it's only $55 on Amazon.
it's the strips that can get to be spendy. a lot of people use some freestyle strips in the alphatrak. they can tell you about it. hang in there!

My vet didn't want me to test either until my Jenny got regulated. But she kind of never really got regulated so I just started testing at home and would email him my results.

let us know how it goes.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:08 PM

How often should we expect to test her levels? Is it a daily thing, weekly, etc?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:27 PM

You will probably need to test more at first so as to find out more about Maggie's blood sugar levels. A really useful thing to do is a "curve" for a day ie testing the blood before breakfast, and then every two hours after it until teatime. That way you can see how your particular dog's blood sugar fluctuates through a day and especially you will discover when she tends to be at her lowest point. You don't need to do that every day but it is a good thing to do when you are planning a dose adjustment.

Once things get more settled, you may want to do more intermittent testing; our dog has his lowest point just before a meal so we usually test him before both meals and also at any time when we think he might be low or seems to be acting oddly. We rarely do a full curve on him these days.

We were reluctant converts to home testing but it is hugely useful and eventually saves a lot of money at the vet. We just started doing it without asking our vet and we just told him we were doing it once we were up and running.

By the way, you asked earlier about doses for B12 - our vet had no real suggestions so we made it up. We had been told that the reason our dog couldn't walk was a terminal tumour so we felt we had nothing to lose; so we gave him VERY high doses of B12. He had the routine B12 weekly injections from the vet, also a one-a day human dose of B12 cyanocobalamin, plus two x two human doses of B12 methylcobalamin.

I doubt any vet would suggest feeding quite such a high dose and perhaps a lot of it went straight through him.... we'll never know but he did get completely better - so that he could stand on his hind legs with his front feet on the vet's reception desk, and run around outside pretty much as well as he could before.

Good luck with the testing!
Antonia
Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 PM

Okay, I got the AlphaTrak today and will start measuring tomorrow. I did end up calling the vet and talking to him about my decision. He was very supportive and said they even use the AlphaTrak there for their measurements.

Just a couple questions as I'm pretty nervous about tomorrow...

From what I am reading, I should test her just before her morning insulin shot and then every two hours from there. I also read online on one page that once the levels fall below 150-200, to measure every hour until it starts increasing again.

I'd appreciate some clarification on how tomorrow should go just so I don't mess something up and have to try again the next day. So the day would start with measuring, giving her shot, then measuring every two hours until it drops, measure every hour then and just pretty much continue that for the rest of the day? And, man that seems like a lot of pricks! I'm worried that I'm going to run out of places to stick her!

I did get a couple apps that will help with keeping track of her levels, so that should be helpful. I just need some clarification and probably some encouragement for tomorrow so I do it right the first time!

Oh, I should add her feeding schedule as she doesn't "eat" twice a day. Her main meal is in the evening, that's when I fill up her bowl and add in some boiled chicken chunks. But she rarely eats all of it (besides the chicken) and will just kind of snack occasionally until the next main feeding. Her bowl is rarely empty and she's not the kind of dog to scarf down all food that is avaliable to her. She does get regular treats of various types when she comes in from going outside. Those aren't on a regular schedule and can be any random time throughout the day.

Last edited by DrRamey; 06-15-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Founding Member

I might not focus to much on a complete curve but just try to focus on one test . if that works out maybe another one . you dont want to overwhelm you or the pup .

your going to have to find some consistency with a routine. random teats exercise and free feeding maybe difficult to get any consistent readings which it will make it difficult to determine a dose adjustment and finding the correct dose to give

to give you an example my jesse only gets one meal a day and a milk bone . same amount and time everyday . she gets 2 walks which are at the same time and the amount is about the same . most use the 12 /12 routine 2 shots and meals same amount same time but some of us have to do other things for our own circumstances

now some treats may not have much impact but all food needs to be digested and that's a big part of the process trying to make everything work in unison and adapting to a new reality of injected insulin which is processed quite differently than the natural process
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 PM

Wink Re: Maggie's having trouble getting around, help?

I think you will have trouble getting any kind of regulation with free feeding.
Most of us feed same amount,same time morning and night. Example 6 a.m. test,feed,insulin...same at 6 p.m.
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.