Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Need Advice - Dog Sick / Diabetes Now Unregulated

I'm sorry that things have become more worrisome.

The biggest concern you may face with higher bg readings is the development of ketones. You can encourage him to drink lots (if he is not already doing so).

Most local pharmacies carry ketone strips (just ask the pharmacist to point you in the right direction). You can test your dog's urine for ketones. Anything more than trace ketones should be considered an emergency phone call/visit - as it could quickly develop into DKA and become life threatening.

When my boy was insulin resistant his bg readings ran mostly 300-600+ for about six months. He drank a lot, urinated a lot, and did end up losing his vision to cataracts, but there was no damage from his bg being elevated for so long.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdecker View Post
I'm sorry that things have become more worrisome.

The biggest concern you may face with higher bg readings is the development of ketones. You can encourage him to drink lots (if he is not already doing so).

Most local pharmacies carry ketone strips (just ask the pharmacist to point you in the right direction). You can test your dog's urine for ketones. Anything more than trace ketones should be considered an emergency phone call/visit - as it could quickly develop into DKA and become life threatening.

When my boy was insulin resistant his bg readings ran mostly 300-600+ for about six months. He drank a lot, urinated a lot, and did end up losing his vision to cataracts, but there was no damage from his bg being elevated for so long.

Thanks momofdecker.. Well thats what I am doing. I got the strips, familiar with that concern (DKA). So far, the strips are negative (not even a shade change). I dont trust strips to be honest.

As for the cataracts, that is one of my top fears. It has been for a year. I put my guy on ocu-glo, eye sight was consistent before this. Slight grey in the eyes, doc says hes ok. After this I am going to really worry. Like I said, over 1 year he was 125-175 avg and peak he never really broke 250 during the day. So, I hope all that good proactive early on saves his eyes for a while longer. I dread that, big time. Hopefully this little stint wont break all that hard work.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Founding Member

It's possible your going in the wrong direction and need to reduce .a clue to that is the numbers deteriorate as you raise the dose
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Cataracts and development of ketones are really the biggest concern with high blood sugar. Many dogs never get below 300's for whatever reason and still do just fine. Organ damage is not a concern and dogs can take high blood sugar much better than humans. Of course, when you have a dog who has been regulated and then suddenly not, you want to get to the bottom of it. I just wouldn't worry about damage in the meantime as much as if it was a person. We humans are delicate by comparison
Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 PM

The only issue I have with that, is that his numbers were fine until he got sick. So basically, in the last 72 hours his insulin requirements change which was coincidentally the same time he got sick?

Also, wouldnt too much insulin lead to hypoglycemia?

So now he was 416 when I got home, just before his meal time. I decided to try and cut his food in half, and give him 16 units instead of 18. I know this is a huge risk, in the past he has had some resistance to any insulin that was under 12-14 units. Not enough to move the bar at all. I tested him now 3 hour after eating, hes 506.

The more I read, the more it seems like hypothyroidism could be the case. I read that fat lipids are increased in the blood which cause a block on insulin.

I pray the vet is actually in tomorrow.

Last edited by jaycapz; 06-09-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Cataracts and development of ketones are really the biggest concern with high blood sugar. Many dogs never get below 300's for whatever reason and still do just fine. Organ damage is not a concern and dogs can take high blood sugar much better than humans. Of course, when you have a dog who has been regulated and then suddenly not, you want to get to the bottom of it. I just wouldn't worry about damage in the meantime as much as if it was a person. We humans are delicate by comparison

Amy - I know this thread got long fast. If you saw what I wrote earlier on, its all timed out with when he started not acting right. weight gain, sluggish, tired, depression, was lethargic, was vomitting first 2 days, sometimes shaking in back legs.. and now insulin resistance. So I am at a loss, just seems like thyroid issue made sense.

I know i was lucky that I had him in a range of 125-175 for 1 straight year. I am just concerned that running over 400 for a week, or however long it takes to get the cause fixed. Won't cause cataracts or blindness to pop up. 1 year of really hard work would be flushed down the drain.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycapz View Post

Also, wouldnt too much insulin lead to hypoglycemia?

I decided to try and cut his food in half, and give him 16 units instead of 18.
In answer to your question, sometimes when overdosed the liver can shoot out stored glucose to save the dog from low bgs. If testing were to catch it it might look like the bgs going steadily down to a point where the body senses danger and then a sharp spike.

So sometimes spot checks only catch the sharp spike.

My gut tells me there is something else at play here be it thyroid or even a UTI, but to be on the safe side I would monitor him enough over nite to be sure that cut in food and only a two unit drop in insulin doesn't backfire.

Hang in there, Tara
Old 06-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycapz View Post
I know i was lucky that I had him in a range of 125-175 for 1 straight year. I am just concerned that running over 400 for a week, or however long it takes to get the cause fixed. Won't cause cataracts or blindness to pop up. 1 year of really hard work would be flushed down the drain.
From what I've read there doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can count on or control with regards to blindness. You either get lucky or not and some dogs just lose it seemingly overnight even with good regulation.

Tara
Old 06-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubytuesday View Post
In answer to your question, sometimes when overdosed the liver can shoot out stored glucose to save the dog from low bgs. If testing were to catch it it might look like the bgs going steadily down to a point where the body senses danger and then a sharp spike.

So sometimes spot checks only catch the sharp spike.

My gut tells me there is something else at play here be it thyroid or even a UTI, but to be on the safe side I would monitor him enough over nite to be sure that cut in food and only a two unit drop in insulin doesn't backfire.

Hang in there, Tara

Hi Ruby,

Yea, today for instance my girlfriend monitored him every 2 hours to try and see what is going on with the BG levels. He never dropped below 380 all day, so I dont think its liver/glucose.. but I did forget that could do it. He hasnt been peeing excessively, right now 2-3 times a day. So figured it wouldnt be UTI.

Your right in other response, I am hoping it doesnt backfire. My thinking was, that hes not going to bathroom as much, hes gaining weight.. basically body is just not metabolizing anything. I thought it would be better to cut the source of the issue, the food for now and only slightly reduce insulin. I feel like I am just piling sugar into his body and nothing is keeping up. I thought the logic is solid, but I know that doesnt always equal a logical outcome.

I also tried swapping the insulin for a new bottle, thinking the insulin may have gotten contaminated. No dice.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Blindness is kind of a crap shoot. There are folks that do every prevention thing possible, and their dogs still go blind. Some never go blind.

I think you are on track with something causing resistance like thyroid. I am concerned a bit about the constipation a bit. Is he uncomfortable? Any digestive issues? G. I. Issues are also pretty common with diabetics.

You guys are doing great - hopefully your vet will be able to get you answers soon.