Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Introducing Maggie - Diabetic 8 years!

My heart hurts for you and pain you are feeling in having to make this heartbreaking decision. Just know I am thinking of you and your sweet Maggie. Hugs to you, and sweet kisses for Maggie.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 06-17-2016, 07:14 AM

Amy,

Much support coming from this side too. I think it is the hardest decision to make, but one you do out of love. We are all here for you, and give a kiss to Maggie from us.

Barb
Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Founding Member

amy maggie is a reflection of you

strong not throwing in the towel under dyer circumstances . from a little dog being bitten multiple times by a rattlesnake and being diagnosed with diabetes and chronic pancreatitis.

you two are an anomaly something that doesn't happen a pup that can live this long with these challenges is amazing

i think maggie never accepted being sick and she thought she was normal like every other dog . in the end she was not normal but head and shoulders above

you two are an inspiration for others in terms of whats possible if you want to do the work

your probably write maggie will not go without your help its maybe an obligation to you for all your hard work and the love you 2 have for each other

what ever decision you make it will be the write one
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 06-17-2016, 10:43 AM

The way you write Amy brings me back to when we let our Abby go. I remember being at work and watching people out the window going about their day, not cloaked in pain wherever they turned. I remember wondering when my life would ever get back to that.

Through the many dogs that have shared my life I have experienced complete devastation to somewhat okay-ness upon their passing. One of the sort of okay ones was my cleft palate doggy Basil who to this day still remains the ONE. He died at the end of 2 years of losing three dogs in quick succession and after long illnesses. I never knew how I would survive losing him, but it didn't kill me as I was afraid it would....now my Maggie was a different story and I was just about undone.

For me part of the difficulty is being afraid that you can't bear that much pain. The fear... how will you make the call, how do you get through the morning, how do you hold her when....Amazingly we do it the same way we do other things....while our head is exploding and our heart is screaming NO!

Even losing my brother, as bad as that was, wasn't as bad as losing Maggie- surreal, but not debilitating. But Maggie was a loss I felt every time I moved, everywhere I looked. Truth be told it still hurts like hell when I let myself go there, but for me there is no option. I could not live a life without them so I have to swallow the incredibly hard pill of losing them.

I still struggle philosophically with the idea of me deciding to end their lives, but in the dwindling that some of the biggest questions in life come down to, I guess I will take it over the alternative.

I like the idea of taking pictures to help make the decision. In my frantic picture taking before losing an animal, when I look back on those pictures I can see just how miserable they are. When the changes happen so gradually we don't realize how much it cost them to stay.

If you believe in animal communication the book Animals in Spirit may help.

I have allowed myself to do whatever gives me comfort during an animal's passing. For doggy Basil it was surrounding him with things that brought us pleasure in our life together, for Maggie it was staying home with her body that remained for the day to allow her spirit to go in it's own time and for me to adjust.

One thing I know to do now is to rid myself of other distractions like children and other dogs. After the vet is gone it is fine with me to allow other family members including animals in, but not as they leave this world. It is like the sacred nature of a mother bringing a child into the world just in reverse.....either that or just preservation. Preservation of the last moment I have with them, undisturbed by anything else.

We all suffer along with you- today and everyday until. All of us reading and responding, with the lump in our throat and remembering our time, our dogs, wishing we could spare you.

I sometimes think the days before are more painful then after but still treasure them. Soak her in, sniff her, feel her fur, feel the weight of her body against you...

I will go cry now. No, not allergies- the peircing pain of loving and losing.

Tara
Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Thanks, guys for revisiting your own pain. It helps to know that as much as I don't even want to survive right now, that I will. You guys have been such comfort to us throughout this journey. I have no regrets. If I could have done this for my poor mother who battled cancer for three years, I wouldn't have had the horrible nightmares that plagued me for years about her final days.

I have to say my vet is one amazing man. I didn't figure him for being the sentimental type but he actually was in tears. He told me he wanted to be the one because he felt like he had battled right with us every step. He also said that Maggie was the most incredible dog he had ever treated and she was "once in a career" and as long as he lived, he would never forget her. I was so surprised - I mean he didn't have to say all that. He told me that I was not failing her but once again tuning into her and what she was telling me. I hadn't thought of it like that. As much as I hate it, I know it is true.

We are set for Monday. At least, tomorrow and Sunday are going to be cooler(still 90 degrees) but I will be able to get her outside in the sunshine she loves so much.

If you still have your babies, hug them tight. Take the extra walk you don't think you have time for or just spend some time doing what they like to do. I have been doing this now for a while, not getting frustrated with her needs but realizing that the world doesn't end if I don't get some work thing done because Maggie needed me. You will appreciate this journey someday.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:03 PM

Something told me to check the forum this morning - and I have been procrastinating - finally getting around to it.

Now I know why.

you can do hard things. you have done hard things. you will breathe again.

Although nothing tops this in difficulty and no amount of air will fill your lungs quite the same.

Tears are flowing - I really, really have nothing to offer you other than sadness as she is ours....

I'm so sorry, please, please tell her that we all love her - all of us. She is ours.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:12 PM

Amy,
I have no words, except that maggie, thanks to you,has been a huge part of all of our lives and our journeys...
Give her hugs and kisses to the moon and back all weekend.and some for all of us . My heart goes out to you..i can't imagine your pain.
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:54 PM

Dear Amy, I know it is easier said that done, but please be strong for Maggie. Remember that our loved little ones feel what we feel, and this is one of the hardest things to do...I had to make that decision several years ago with my beloved Colorado and to this day it still hurts, if I allow myself to go there. I remember hugging my baby as he took his last breath and his head rested on my lap. He knew we loved him that much to stop thinking about ourselves & to let him go...until we meet again.

Crying & praying for you,

wlw
Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Know we are all here with you Amy... I know that yes, eventually, you will be able to breath again. Although, it always has a bit of pain in it. I try to remember that I can only grieve as deeply as I have loved and I never regret loving so deeply.

Natalie
Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 PM

(((hugs))) You will be in my prayers. It's only been 3 weeks since I had to make the decision for my Jazzy so my emotions are still a little raw. I feel your pain.

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016