Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Hi! Jasper is a 5 year old king charles cavalier spaniel diagnosed with diabetes 2 days ago, we noticed him drinking a lot of water about 2 weeks ago although his urinating wasn't excessive & no accidents in the house.

At first we thought it was his heavy winter coat & he was over heating but his appetite became ravenous last week so I tried on several occasions to take his BG which were all to no avail could not get any blood, tried his pads his carpal pad his ears several times & even as a last resort the inside of his mouth which did produce blood but was quickly shook off. Finally we managed to get blood from his ear & his BG was 25.1 (UK) so we made an appointment for the vets and their reading was 23 we are going later today to get the caninsulin cartridges & VetPen & to find out his dosage.

We had a diabetic cat who was steroid induced, who we managed to test at home & who only just survived our last vets ignorance (nearly killed her with too much insulin & urine sticks ) so I found FDMB & managed to stabilise her with diet, insulin & home testing. She was 10 years old when dx diabetes & after 6 years on insulin went on honeymoon and stayed there until her death from cancer at the age of 18.

Jasper has had both ear canals removed last year due to a build up of dead skin in his inner ear which caused infection, he was treated with steroids for three months which I wasn't too happy about & asked if there was an alternative but told there wasn't and here we go again a diabetic pet.

wet food once a day + scraps from my meal (this will change)
caninsulin cartridges
One Touch Ultra meter
Dosage not yet confirmed

I know from reading a few of the sticky posts that it is going to be different from how I treated my cat. Am I correct in thinking I need to feed Jasper a couple of hours before his injections to allow the glucose from the meal to absorb first then give the injection?

I have only skimmed through the sticky posts as we are due at the vets in a couple of hours & would really like some information to take with me as I haven't got time to read through everything & ingest the info properly plus I would need to print it out & read it over & over to get it to sink in as I have recently had a stroke & info & memory are not so good now.

Any help or info would be so appreciated as we will need to feed him anytime soon if my assumptions about feeding before insulin are correct?

Thank You! So glad I have found this website it means a lot to know I will be able to get help with Jasper xx

kind regards

Hilary x
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM

I am brand new to this site. I was browsing to see what everyone is feeding their pets with diabetis and came across this site. I am not happy with what we are using and definitely need to make a change.

My dog Tristan looks like just a plain black lab but he is mixed with Cocker Spaniel. his mother was full bred Cocker Spaniel. We adopted him and his sister Trinity when they were 7 weeks old from an SPCA in North Carolina. They are now 9 years old. Tristan was diagnosed back in October with diabetes. Over the course of about a week, he went from being fine to drinking constantly and then needing to go out almost every two hours and he did have accidents if we were not home. When we took him in, his level was over 700!! We began insulin right away and within 2 months he was blind and now suffers from Glaucoma. I recently purchased the AlphaTrak and we just did his first curve last week, which was very successful.

I believe his sister Trinity is now diabetic as well. I noticed that she had drank an entire bowl of water over night and then she did it again this afternoon. I usually only fill the bowl once every other day or every 2 days. She has also been needing to go out more. I took her blood this morning and it was 356. So we will be making a trip to the vet to confirm.

I would really like to get these guys eating right and see if that can help!

Dog's name, breed: Tristan & Trinity - Black Lab/Cocker Spaniel Mix

Dog's weight: Tristan started off over 80 lbs and is now down to 65 lbs. Trinity was about 75 last we checked and I doubt she has lost anything even though they are on a strict diet.

Diet: PurinaOne Healthy Weight Formula Dry (suggested by vet, which surprised me, and it smells awful when wet) - Tristan is fed 2 cups twice a day when he has his insulin. Trinity is fed 1 1/2 cups twice a day. My husband got them used to eating it mixed with warm water (kinda like the Gravy Train idea / )

Insulin: Novolin

Number of units per injection and injections per day: We are up to 15 units twice a day

Brand of BG meter if home testing: AlphaTrak

I have read so many opinions on food that my head is spinning. If it is confirmed that Trinity is also diabetic, I will now be buying needles and insulin for both. BTW, if you do not do this already, you should all talk to your vet about having your pet prescriptions done through Walmart, they have the cheapest price on insulin!!! I pay $36 or maybe it is $38 for the bottle of insulin and a box of 100 needles! So with that said, I really need to find a food option that is inexpensive, even if I have to make it myself.

Thank you!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2008 View Post
Hi! Jasper is a 5 year old king charles cavalier spaniel diagnosed with diabetes 2 days ago, we noticed him drinking a lot of water about 2 weeks ago although his urinating wasn't excessive & no accidents in the house.

At first we thought it was his heavy winter coat & he was over heating but his appetite became ravenous last week so I tried on several occasions to take his BG which were all to no avail could not get any blood, tried his pads his carpal pad his ears several times & even as a last resort the inside of his mouth which did produce blood but was quickly shook off. Finally we managed to get blood from his ear & his BG was 25.1 (UK) so we made an appointment for the vets and their reading was 23 we are going later today to get the caninsulin cartridges & VetPen & to find out his dosage.

We had a diabetic cat who was steroid induced, who we managed to test at home & who only just survived our last vets ignorance (nearly killed her with too much insulin & urine sticks ) so I found FDMB & managed to stabilise her with diet, insulin & home testing. She was 10 years old when dx diabetes & after 6 years on insulin went on honeymoon and stayed there until her death from cancer at the age of 18.

Jasper has had both ear canals removed last year due to a build up of dead skin in his inner ear which caused infection, he was treated with steroids for three months which I wasn't too happy about & asked if there was an alternative but told there wasn't and here we go again a diabetic pet.

wet food once a day + scraps from my meal (this will change)
caninsulin cartridges
One Touch Ultra meter
Dosage not yet confirmed

I know from reading a few of the sticky posts that it is going to be different from how I treated my cat. Am I correct in thinking I need to feed Jasper a couple of hours before his injections to allow the glucose from the meal to absorb first then give the injection?

I have only skimmed through the sticky posts as we are due at the vets in a couple of hours & would really like some information to take with me as I haven't got time to read through everything & ingest the info properly plus I would need to print it out & read it over & over to get it to sink in as I have recently had a stroke & info & memory are not so good now.

Any help or info would be so appreciated as we will need to feed him anytime soon if my assumptions about feeding before insulin are correct?

Thank You! So glad I have found this website it means a lot to know I will be able to get help with Jasper xx

kind regards

Hilary x
Hilary, curious why you wait 2 hours to give injection. I always give mine right away. Can you elaborate?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Sidney
Cattle Dog
12 years old
58 pounds
Diagnosed April 9th, 2014
Currently feeding him Hills' W/D glucose management dry and wet food mixed twice per day prior to insulin injection
We now have him up to 16 units twice per day on Novolin.
I use the Alphatrak 2 to monitor his blood sugar.

He is still very high in the 600's. I am very worried all the time and I feel like his insulin is not working. We had him down to the 400's and 300's last week, but then it spiked at 662 and has been high ever since.
I'm not sure if I gave him insulin incorrectly and thats why that happened, but we have been in the 500's and 600's since.

Does anyone have any experience with the insulin not working?

Help! I'm totally devastated.

Last edited by SidneyDog; 04-26-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Phee

Breed: Boston Terrier

Weight: 15.5 lbs

Age: 4-5 years old, but he came from a shelter, so we're not 100% sure

Diagnosed: December 2012

Insulin: Mix of Novolin N and Novolin R

Meter: Alphatrak2 with Freestyle Lite test strips

Food: EVO Weight Management 2/3 cup a.m. and 3/4 cup p.m. (Low carb, low fiber. Phee cannot eat high fiber due to fecal incontinence issues.)

Supplements: 1/2 TBS Flax meal (for fiber) and 1 scoop Nupro Gold (for enzymes/vitamins/omegas)

Other medical issues:
Cataract removal and lens replacement in April 2013
Lost left eye to an ulcer in May 2013
Currently has glaucoma and dry eye
Eye drops: Dorzolamide 2x a day ~ Tacrolimus 2x a day ~ Diclofenac 2x a day
www.snortrescue.org

Last edited by ABCisMe; 04-28-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneyDog View Post
Sidney
Cattle Dog
12 years old
58 pounds
Diagnosed April 9th, 2014
Currently feeding him Hills' W/D glucose management dry and wet food mixed twice per day prior to insulin injection
We now have him up to 16 units twice per day on Novolin.
I use the Alphatrak 2 to monitor his blood sugar.

He is still very high in the 600's. I am very worried all the time and I feel like his insulin is not working. We had him down to the 400's and 300's last week, but then it spiked at 662 and has been high ever since.
I'm not sure if I gave him insulin incorrectly and thats why that happened, but we have been in the 500's and 600's since.

Does anyone have any experience with the insulin not working?

Help! I'm totally devastated.
My dog spent the day at the vet, who assured me that Zaar was not over 180 all day. This morning when I did the reading, he was 646!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am going back to the vet today, but must say.....this is not fun and it's scary. you are not alone.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natcle View Post
Teddy, 5lb toy poodle age 11.
Humulin N, 2.5u
Diastix

When first diagnosed (11/2013) he would eat the prescription Hills with no issue. Then as time went along he became more picky. We mixed his old food, then started feeding him boiled chicken mixed w/prescription hills.
His eating has gotten so picky that tonight I fed him ham, turkey, pastrami w/Gerber baby food (sweet potatoes). Unless it is something he can't refuse, he will hide under the bed and not come out unless we trick him.

I don't know how to test him with a meter. The vet is still trying to figure out his insulin level and just told me to use Diastix, but when I do they go right to brown.

I messed up with his insulin dose three weeks ago and was giving him 4units instead of 2. When they did a curve on him with 4units (thinking he was on 2) they said it was fine but still on the high side. Then when I started with the correct dosage (and told the vet what I'd been doing) he had high ketones and was at the vet for 4 days being flushed out.
They sent him home on 3units, and his latest curve was yesterday and they told me his first glucose reading was 47. They don't understand why when he was on 4units his curve was on the high side, now he's on less and it's like this. So now he is getting 2.5u.

The vet said in the beginning what's going on with Teddy is common. Maybe he's not eating enough, so she did a fructosimine (sp?). Has anyone else experienced this?

I want to do the glucose meter, but I need a very gentle one. My dog is really starting to hate me. The Diastix definitely are not helpful.

Thank you,
Natalie & Teddy
I'm reading through a lot of these posts - all so full of valuable information. I had to reply to this one, and about the comment: "My dog is really starting to hate me. " Cute.......I thought that between the BG readings and two insulin shots- as well as the multiple eye drops - that my dog would begin to hate me too...............but, he is such a trooper...so good....I hope your dog understands I sure he does.................(whether present or not.)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 PM

Dog's name,breed:
Precious, Rat Terrier Mix

Weight:
12.5 pounds post diabetes, before diabetes she was portly at above 20 lbs

Diet:
Orijen,Wellness Small breed, and Whole Earth Farms Canned or homemade mix of chicken, veggies, and oatmeal

Insulin:
Vetsulin

Number of Units Per Injection and Injections per day:
2.5-3 units twice a day
Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Dog's name, breed: Australian Cattle Dog (Heeler, Red)
Dog's weight: Was 57 lb, when diagnosed 2 months later her weight was 45 lb!
Diet: Vet wants her on WD which she steadfastly refuses, prior to hospitalization she was on limited ingredient foods, Taste of the Wild -meat based foods, due to suspected allergies.
Insulin: Humulin N
Number of units per injection and injections per day: Still trying to regulate, yesterday it was 7u, 2 times daily
Brand of BG meter if home testing: Not sure, research is underway

My Ginnie is a 9 year old, previously active and healthy ACD. She developed a very bad yeast infection on her skin that refused to clear up. 2 runs of prednisone, medicated baths and limited ingredient hypo-allergenic, low sugar foods cleared her skin up, but she never recovered from feeling 'rotten' after the last run of prednisone. She had started having accidents in the house and then had incontinent events.
When we had to rush her to the emergency vet over an hour and a half away...over Memorial Day weekend, her sugar was 663! She is still in the hospital, this is day 5 and hope she gets to come home tonight. I am really kinda scared, we have very busy schedules and I am worried about leaving her for the long periods, working 12-14 hour days. She hates the food, WD and for the most part attempts to bury it when it is offered. We have never fed 'people food', and one of the vets at the emergency hospital is insistent that she must eat the WD....beginning to think he must have stock in the company or get a commission!
All of this has been very frightening for me, so glad to have found this forum.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 PM

welcome to the forum

hope Ginny comes home soon

the best food for Ginny is what she likes. She doesnt like w/d then feed her what she ate prior.

Need help with meters and hometesting we can help

mo