Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Hi Natalie,

I don't have the results yet as the vet was out of the office yesterday. She said she'd call me today.

I have already checked out the Cushings forum - another wonderful site. Hope I don't have to use it, but glad it's there if I do.

I'll post results as soon as I know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Carolyn
Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Carolyn,

I'm thinking of you and Gretel today. Will wait patiently for the test results, and I'm hoping for good news!

Keep your chin up!
Kevin
Old 04-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Hi Kevin, good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like you really had a nasty bug.

Yes, I'm hoping for good news also - there's been way too much of the other kind lately .

Thanks for thinking of us, I'll post again as soon as I have something to report.

Carolyn
Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Question Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Hi Carolyn,

And? - hope you've just been too busy to report, or your computer is off, or something!

Fervently hoping all is okay with you and Gretel! Maybe I missed something!

Mon, 3 May 2010 06:19:31 (PDT)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Hi Carol,

Unfortunately I still don't have an answer. The vet didn't call me on Friday as promised (perhaps she didn't have the results yet?) and she's not in the office until tomorrow. So....I'm still dangling.

Hope all is well with you and Kumbi.

Thanks for asking, and I'll post as soon as I know something. Have a great day!

Carolyn
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Thumbs up Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Oh, Carolyn,

How horrid to be left in the dark! My sympathies!

I'm having a heck of a time holding a phone line connection; it's stormy here, and I think our phone lines are wet inside. I might be appearing and disappearing without warning! Sheesh!

When and whether Kumbi and I get walks remains up in the air, or out in the wet!

I'll look for your report - when you get it! Fingers, toes, paws and eyes all crossed here. Patience hat dripping with flowers and Dyne Drops.

Mon, 3 May 2010 07:49:20 (PDT)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 AM

Good morning eveyone,

Well I heard from the vet today regarding the UCCR test done on Gretel last Thursday to try to rule out Cushings. Unfortunately it warrents further testing. (Nothing can be too easy, can it?).

Tomorrow I'll take Gretel to the clinic for most of the day and they will be doing the low dexamethasone supression test. I have been doing some reading about these tests, and it appears that if this one is positive for Cushings, then another one must be done to narrow it down to what type of Cushings it is.

I'm quite upset about this, even though I don't have a definitive answer yet. And as much as I hate this, I can't help but be worried about the expense of yet another illness. We have had two years of massive expenses and I just don't know how much longer we can continue at this pace. Yet, I look at my sweet little girl's face and know that somehow we must find a way.

Sorry if I sound like I need a pity party, I know that all of you have been in my shoes too and understand how I'm feeling.

The strange thing about this is that Gretel does not look like she has any of the Cushing's signs - except for a bit of a belly. But she has always, since she was a pup even, had that little belly, because my daughter always referred to her as "little pork belly". But she has no hair loss, no bony appearance, none of those other signs.

Well, I guess that's all for now. Thanks to all who inquired about the results, and I will update you when I know more.

Carolyn
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM

Arrow Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Hey, Carolyn!

Glad you got the results. Sorry for what they are! Fingers crossed on results of the next one (LDDS - Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression) test.

Kumbi had one of those a couple of weeks ago. Because he stresses like mad at the vets, I drove him back and forth between the test-times.

We were on the road for over four hours that day - we'd have a couple of hours at home (during which Kumbi rested, and I worked at the computer) - then out we'd go again!

Kumbi was a champ about that. But it's STILL stressful - ONE trip is stressful; THREE in a day, at least three times as much.

And this test is supposed to have the patient relaxed and resting.

YEAH, RIGHT!

Our results were inconclusive, so our next move is ultrasound.Then we'll see.

Kumbi also shows no obvious external signs of Cushings, but my vet thinks maybe he has it, and wants to rule it out (result of bad livier values in bloodwork done 23 March).

Like you, I'm totally strapped financially, and like you, I plan SOMEHOW to keep Kumbi alive and well for as long as his natural (and medicated) life will keep him comfortable and happy. It's just unthinkable to put this dog down - or to give him away, at age 13.5!

Kumbi says, tell Gretel the LDDS test isn't bad at all.

Tue, 4 May 2010 07:23:34 (PDT)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Hi Carol, thanks for your response. Your support, and the support of everyone else here has been so appreciated. I'd be lost if I hadn't found this forum.

What a day that must have been for you to drive Kumbi back and forth three times in one day. It sounds like you're quite a distance away from the vet. Luckily I only have a 10 minute drive. Gretel seems to tolerate her visits quite well (at least externally anyway). Our previous dog, Pepper, got so stressed out at the vet's that once they actually had to sedate her just to trim her nails....now THAT's stressed!!

I have so many question swirling around in my head. I need to write them down so I'm ready to ask the vet. One thing I'm wondering about is the results of the UCCR (urine) test they did last week. Apparently the results were such that they couldn't rule out Cushings, but my question is, if it turns out not to be Cushings, does that mean something else is wrong?

Another worry I have is the medication(s) given for Cushings. In just the little bit of reading I've done so far, it seems that there can be problems with the medications causing some undesired side effects. I certainly don't want to give her something that will make her sick when she isn't sick now.

See, just a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I'm just kidding though (sort of ). I know that if I don't understand what I read, at least it gives me a starting point to ask questions.

Well, guess I'd better go and get productive! Tell Kumbi Gretel says thanks for the encouraging words regarding the LDDS test.

So long for now,
Carolyn
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGram View Post
One thing I'm wondering about is the results of the UCCR (urine) test they did last week. Apparently the results were such that they couldn't rule out Cushings, but my question is, if it turns out not to be Cushings, does that mean something else is wrong?

Another worry I have is the medication(s) given for Cushings. In just the little bit of reading I've done so far, it seems that there can be problems with the medications causing some undesired side effects. I certainly don't want to give her something that will make her sick when she isn't sick now.
Carolyn,
If it turns out not to be Cushings, I'd look at the triglycerides and start ruling out other factors. If fact, it couldn't hurt to look at that now with a simple blood test.

I would want as much confirmation as I could get too before starting medication. I know you've been doing a lot of reading...have you posted to the Cushings website? They can help with these questions too.

Carolyn, I am not a Cushings expert by any means but I believe the LDDS test typically yields false results in a dog with diabetes. Diabetic dogs should be given the ACTH stim test. I would also go so far as to have the full adrenal panel done by University of TN Knoxville if she doesn't have the outward appearance of Cushings, as that may help diagnose atypical Cushings.

It's listed here: Go down to Adrenal Panel ACTH stim Dogs http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...logy/index.php Some vets will send it to their lab first but it will save you time and money to have the sample sent straight to UTK.

Patty