Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Dozer's sweet spot is just in front of his canine tooth. He is much larger than Gretal but I flip his lip up & hold it against his nose so I can use just a little bit of pressure when I push the button
Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel

So happy to hear she doesn't mind the lip. It will make things so much easier for both of you. Like others, I've found it takes a little experimenting in the beginning to find the exact area of lip that bleeds the best for each dog.

The area we use sounds about the same as others have mentioned - in the area adjacent to the canine tooth. Sometimes it can be as simple as making sure you have the base of the device firmly against the skin so that you are making full contact when you hit the release. I also kind of scrunch the lip gently between my thumb and finger as I lance. That gives me the ability to immediately give it a little squeeze if I need to enlarge the drop a bit. If they've been laying on their side before you test, it can also help to use the side they were laying on - I swear it seems to pool there, like all the blood rushed to that side, lol.

The lancet size can also make a huge difference - I prefer 26 with Noodle. If the brand you're buying doesn't list a gauge size, you might want to consider buying some generics. I buy the Walgreen's generics. They come in a range of gauge sizes and work with a long list of other brands of lancing devices...plus, they're inexpensive.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Thanks to all who responded with testing advice. It does look like the lip is going to be the desired testing site once I get the right lancet. I'll check out a couple of the local pharmacies to see if I can find the 26 gauge.

I'll keep you posted on further progress. I really appreciate all of you, I just can't imagine where I would be right now if not for all the great help and support I've gotten. No matter what the question, there's always someone with an answer.

Thanks again!
Carolyn
Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM

Arrow Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel

Checking in a bit late, Carolyn; also, unbelievably tired; I won't last long tonight. But I have a few words for you. (haha!) (And, my apologies; I haven't finished reading your thread, either.)

You remarked:

[QUOTE]
As a last-ditch effort, I decided to try the lip. She actually let me do it and didn't resist at all. But again, no luck. Not even one tiny blood drop - nothing.

Now I'm wondering if the lancets are just too thin?

[\QUOTE]

That's exactly what I suspect - the lancets are too thin. I asked OneTouch to label their lancet boxes with the gauge, but they haven't done so yet.

The only ones I know about are:

Ultrasoft are 28-gauge
Fine Point are 25-gauge.

I think you'll be hard put to it to find any lancets any thicker than 25-gauge, though I could be wrong. Ebay might have sales of 21-gauge lancets, which I love, love, LOVE! ONE prick, by hand, and you get your sample.

I did read Patty's message - the one right after the one from which I quoted here, and she's right. (hehe, Patty tends to be right!)

Thicker needles on the lancets help unbelievably much! You could buy Freestyle lancets; THEY label the lancets on the box. But then I don't know if they'd fit your lancet-gun.

I always prefer to prick by hand, for two reasons. First, I have much finer control that way, and second, I avoid any jarring. But I also suspect the lancet-guns of giving a pretty heavy jarring, or punching, effect. And I suspect that of delivering more blood per poke than a hand-prick does.

I WAS able to use the 25-gauge lancets on Kumbi, but to get a blood drop big enough, I had to place the prick as Patty suggested, and ALSO, I had to warm the lip (lining of the mouth) before pricking. It's that initial warming that turned the event into a Procedure, and Kumbi always hated Procedures, bless his little heart!

However, here's how we did it when I warmed Kumbi's lip before pricking.

I'd wet a paper towel in HOT tap-water, then wring it out some. I'd carry the hot, wet towel, and a dry one, with the meter, test strip barely inserted (or, if confident I could do the warming quickly, I'd insert the strip all the way, turning the meter on).

Then I'd lift Kumbi's lip, and then tuck in the hot, wet towel (careful not to be so hot it burns at all), and hold the lip over the towel for maybe 15 seconds. Then I'd remove the hot wet towel (coolgram'd off by now), and pat, pat, pat with the dry towel, to dry the prick-site.

THEN I'd lance, by hand - usually the warming did allow a big enough drop to form - not always. I could massage a bit to encourage the blood to come up after pricking, but that's not very efficient, and you don't want really to MILK the site, as that could bring out interstitial fluids which woul corrupt the reading.

Yep; I am reeling, and falling asleep at the keyboard - I really had more to say but can't type!

Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:56:36 (PDT)
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 AM

I checked the gauges available on the Walgreen's lancets. They come in 21, 26, and 30. The 30 were so fine that I had a difficult time getting a big enough drop on Noodle. I bought the 21 gauge once, but I felt like it was practically punching a hole in his poor lip, so I ditched 'em. The 26 works really consistently for us, but perhaps the 21's would work easier for anyone who has problems getting a large enough drop on their dog.

They are supposed to be compatible with almost all lancing devices, but they do specifically mention that they don't fit the Accu-Chek Softclix and Multiclix. I know some of you use those, so wanted to mention that point. I just use the Walgreen's lancing device. Not fancy and only has 5 settings (we use "3"), but it does the job.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks for checking on those lancets. We don't have a Walgreen's around here, but do have a Walmart - I'll check there. It's a shame those sizes won't work in a Softclix. I had purchased one because others here recommended them and I do like it very much, but the bottom line is, I just want something that works and that she will tolerate without too much discomfort.

I would imagine the 21 gauge really did leave a hole! I'm going to try the 26 gauge when I find them. I'm just surprised that the ones I bought to go with the Softclix, don't have a gauge number on them. Oh well, as is often the case we're flying by the seat of our pants with this disease - we learn as we go!

Many thanks!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Walmart's ReliOn brand lancets come in 26, 30, and 32 - so you're in luck if you want to try the 26's.

I've bought the 26's at Walmart too and they seem to work in almost any lancer. I guess the Accu-Check folks must have made their lancing devices specifically so they wouldn't fit other brands of lancets...better to lock you into buying there lancets for eternity...like most of the meter brands with their test strips.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a strange problem with Gretel and am wondering if any of you have had a similar situation and how you might have resolved it.

For the last week or so every evening after dark, Gretel's main mission in life is to catch and eat bugs. She "asks" to go out many many times during the evening, and I never can know for sure if she really has to go or she just wants the bugs. We have a fenced in yard, so normally I just open the door and out she goes, I don't stay outside with her, she just lets me know when she's ready to come in. But even if I did take her out on a leash, I'm sure she wouldn't care, she'd eat bugs anyway and not take care of "business".

Although I don't usually watch her the entire time she's outside, I've been doing that more since this problem cropped up. I'll give her about 5 minutes, and if she hasn't done anything in that period of time, I figure she didn't really have to go and I'll bring her back inside. However, even in only 5 minutes, she can consume a lot of bugs.

My #1 concern is what that might do to her blood sugar, if anything, and secondly I just don't want her eating those things, and last but not least, I'm constantly getting up to let her out. She's even begun to wake me several times in the middle of the night. I don't feel comfortable telling her she can't go out, because with her previous bladder issues I never know if she really has to go. But every time I follow her out and watch her, all she does is catch bugs.

I'm kind of stumped as to what to do (other than pray for winter).

My husband suggested we might need to use some sort of muzzle on her (I've seen soft ones made of mesh). I don't really like that idea, but yet I haven't been able to come up with a better one.

She has been eating only w/d dry food (no more canned) for about a month now, and it just seems to leave her hungry. She absoulutely inhales the food, then for 5 minutes after she's finished she continues to lick the dish, the floor, whatever's nearby, just in case she missed something. I know she's consuming enough calories, because her weight is perfect now, I wouldn't want her to be any heavier, but she just doesn't seem satisfied.

Have any of you had this problem, and if so, what did you do about it.

As alway, thanks for your help!
Carolyn
Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Jack is just the opposite - he finds bugs and points them out to me so that I can get rid of them!

Did the bug eating start after she switched to WD?

Does she like to do tricks or play games?

Maybe you could entertain her inside and take her mind off of the bugs. Teach her tricks or play tag.

When Jack came to us, he didn't know how to ask to go outside to potty. And when he had fun out in the backyard, he asked to go out ALL the time so he could play and we could never tell when he needed to go out and when he just wanted to.

So we stopped playing in the yard (it's small anyway) and moved all of his playing indoors or at parks and other places away from home. So now he knows that outside at home is just for pottying and he only asks to go out when he needs to potty. We also have mostly been taking him out on a leash to potty because he fence-fights with the neighbor Jack Russells... Poor Jack has a lot of issues. Putting him on a leash has made him a lot more focused on the task at hand and we now know his routine and anticipate when he is likely to truly need to go.

When it was less structured, his thing was chewing wood chips and that's all he would do out there was dig out duff from the borders and chew on it. So everyone is a lot happier now that outside is just for doing business and then back in where the fun is.

The muzzle might help you get to that point.

Could she go back to her old diet?

Natalie
Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM

She has always enjoyed catching bugs, from a puppy on up. In fact, when I was working on house training her I always took her out on a leash and around and around we'd go, but her primary focus was bugs - in particular lightening bugs. Jump, jump, jump, all around the yard. So, it's not a new thing, but I do think it's worse this year and I believe it's because she's still hungry. We have those disgusting earwigs here in PA, don't know if you're familiar with them, but they're a longish black kind of hardshelled bug with pinchers, and that seems to be what she's going for. Makes me sick to even think about her eating them, but they're everywhere at night, crawling all around the patio and out it the grass. Yuk!

I can certainly try to play a little more in the house during that time, might just be enough to make her forget the bugs. I have to say that I'm not a very happy camper when she wakes me up at 1:00am and again at 3:30am and I find that she really doesn't have to go after all.

I'm just concerned as to what they might do to her BG. Do you think they would have much of an effect? I guess this is one of those time when testing would be a great help. I did get some new lancets (26 gauge) and I'm going to try again this week.

As far as changing the food, I doubt that's an option because the vet put her on all dry because of her triglycerides being so high. Before that she was on wet and dry mixed. I need to find out if there are any other things that I could giver her a little bit of that might take the edge off her hunger without adversely affecting her BG, or her weight or the bladder stone issue. Poor thing has so many things that have to be taken into consideration. I just may call the vet tomorrow and see what she has to say about this. I think Gretel's chart must be as big as a world atlas by now!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Carolyn