Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel

Wow Carolyn!!! What wonderful news!!

WD often does work quite well for diabetic dogs and sometimes even results in a need for less insulin. So maybe going back to the WD has helped too.

You must be walking on clouds!

I'd aim to keep her lowest blood sugar at around 100. That way, you have some wiggle room for the natural variations in blood sugar from day to day.

I occasionally have low blood sugar and start to feel it when it's in the 60s. Down into the 50s and I feel a whole lot worse - very shaky and uncomfortable.

Natalie
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I haven't had much to report in the past several months (isn't it great?!). Gretel seems to be holding her own and we have leveled off at 11 units of insulin twice a day. I, personally think she could maybe tolerate 1/2 or even just 1/4 of a unit more, but the vet thinks she should stay at 11. The last several curves (at the vet's) show the highest readings in the 300-350 range, the lowest (about 2-3 hrs. after insulin) around 120.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is an issue I've found with a new syringe I just tried this morning. For the most part I've always used the BD brand - 30 gauge, 1/2 inch needle. Gretel's skin is just too thick to use the short needle. Anyway, although I like the Relion brand and used it when I was trying the short needle, Walmart never seems to have the Relion brand in the 1/2 inch needle when I ask for it. Once they gave me Ulticare and I didn't like it at all - I always ended up with air bubbles inside and had to redraw sometimes several times.

This week I stopped at our CVS pharmacy and asked for the BD brand syringes and the woman asked if I had ever tried the CVS brand. I told her I would be willing to try them if I could return any unopened packs if I didn't like them. She said no but she was nice enough to give me one to try. I did discover when I went to use it that the needle length was 3/8" which is in between the 1/2" needle and the short needle. I wasn't aware they even came in 3/8".

This morning when I prepared it, I noticed that the plunger seemed extremely easy to push - almost too easy I thought. I got it ready and placed it under my arm to warm it and when I went to inject Gretel I noticed a drop of insulin had come out of the needle. At that point I should have looked at the marker to make sure I still had 11 units in the barrel, but I didn't. However, when I actually injected her, it went so fast that I'm now wondering if more leaked out than I thought and she may not have gotten her full dose. Nothing I can do about it now, but I thought it was worth a mention.

At this point I'm going to stick with BD because they just seem to work the best for me. The plunger pulls and pushes with just a little resistance but that means it fits a little more snuggly in the barrel and I think helps eliminate air bubbles, plus if you accidentally bump the end of the plunger you aren't going to lose any of the insulin.

I was hopeful that the CVS brand would prove to be terrific because who doesn't like to save money but until something better comes along, I'm sticking with BD.

Hope you all had a nice holiday!

Carolyn

Last edited by CoolGram; 01-20-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Thanks for your experience Carolyn. I think Daisy has used a Walgreens brand. Might be worth investigating as well if you're looking around.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Administrator

We never tried the CVS or Relions but did try the Ulticares once and had a very similar experience. I absolutely hated those syringes and wound up donating the entire box to the local vet and went back to the BDs.

This is a very useful thread Carolyn. I'm going to copy it to our Answers section on syringes and injections.

Thanks for posting it. And congratulations on settling in to "auto pilot" with Gretel!

Natalie
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Guess I spoke a little too soon regarding Gretel being on "cruise control", although this time her problem isn't diabetes related.

More bladder stones were found yesterday. Every so often the vet asks me to bring in a urine sample to be checked for crystals or infection and 3 weeks ago she did have an infection, although she hadn't been showing any signs of one, and was put on Baytril. The vet thought she'd better get an x-ray just to make sure there were no stones forming, which unfortunately there were.

The good news is that since the stones are so small, the vet is going to try to remove them by using a non-surgical method. She will fill the bladder with saline and then try to draw the stones out through a catheter. Please keep your fingers crosssed that this method is successful as I soooooo don't want to see her go through another surgery. She has already endured three bladder surgeries since 2008 and with each one it seems to take her a little longer to recover.

I'll post again after the procedure and let you know how it went.

Carolyn
Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Arrow Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel

Oh, Carolyn! Praying the procedure works! I'll be watching for your report. We're marshaling the Forces of the Universe (to the best of our ability) in your favor - you and Gretel.

Love, hugs, licks and wags,
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:19:39 (PST)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Thank you, Carol, for your kind words and good wishes - it's so good to hear from you. That's one of the best things about this forum - all the wonderful support and encouragement.

Look for my post-procedure "report" next week.

Carolyn
Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Carolyn,

I hope this procedure works for Gretel - sounds like you found out about the stones early enough that its a good option for you both.
Will be keeping our fingers and paws crossed that it works!

Hugs xx
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGram View Post
Guess I spoke a little too soon regarding Gretel being on "cruise control", although this time her problem isn't diabetes related.

More bladder stones were found yesterday. Every so often the vet asks me to bring in a urine sample to be checked for crystals or infection and 3 weeks ago she did have an infection, although she hadn't been showing any signs of one, and was put on Baytril. The vet thought she'd better get an x-ray just to make sure there were no stones forming, which unfortunately there were.

The good news is that since the stones are so small, the vet is going to try to remove them by using a non-surgical method. She will fill the bladder with saline and then try to draw the stones out through a catheter. Please keep your fingers crosssed that this method is successful as I soooooo don't want to see her go through another surgery. She has already endured three bladder surgeries since 2008 and with each one it seems to take her a little longer to recover.

I'll post again after the procedure and let you know how it went.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I hope all goes well for Gretel just to let you know I am thinking of you both

Hugs

Margaret
Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Adding my well wishes for Gretel!