Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Margaret's Meter Questions

OK, Margaret--you can post your meter questions on this thread. We'll keep "Lucy" ones on the one for you and Lucy, but I think having this separate thread will help you and others because it will be meter questions and answers only.

Kathy
Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: Margaret's Meter Questions

Hi everyone,
I have a lot of questions to ask about meters and blood testing.
Here goes, I have just bought a One touch ultra 2 I have read all about it
but there are a few questions I still have to ask.
1. What number should I start with for the penetration 2,3,or 4,?

2. I feed Lucy at 5.40am and inject at 6.am is it ok to test at 5.30am it is the same in the evening. What I want to know is can I test half an hour to one hour before a meal the times fit in to our routine in the morning I do go back to bed for a couple of hours. My husband does not inject due to contractures in his fingers, but he is always up before me and Lucy is always looking for her meal when he gets up. I know this sounds stupid, but we do it early because if we have any social occassions in the evening I know Lucy is all attended to.

3. The numbers worry me on the human meter Dolly has kindly explained that
in the low range I would add 1 point 2points mid range and 1 point high range. If I had a reading of 6 mmol it would read as ( 7mmol )?

4. How often should I test to begin with and at what times?

5. I have been reading up on blood testing and watching the video of Natalie and Chris and she makes it look so easy. I just have this fear of hurting her as she has never once yelped or cried from day one with her injections and I would not like to frighten her but she is very tolerant and I think she will be ok!

I will still have a lot more questions but this will do to begin with. Looking forward to all of your advice.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Margaret's Meter Questions

Hi Margaret

One of the most imortant things Natalie has taught me is that every dog is different. Too bad the vets don't get that Forbins nadir is 10.5 to 12 hours after he eats, so I check his BG at 530 am which is 11 hours after he ate his dinner. If its about 150, I go back to bed for an hour I know it won't drop to dangerous ground in 1 hour typically. I feed him at 6a and then give him insuline at 630a. I always test again, to make sure his BG is not too low. If it is, I check it every 30 minutes until I see it going back up again. It took me quite a bit of monitoring to be able to understand this pattern in him. I do the same routine for dinner. On weekends when I'm home, I test him at 10a and 2p to see how he's doing. If he's under 300, I leave him alone and don't curve him on the weekend. At the moment, I only curve when I change his food or his insulin dosage to see what the impact is. It probably sounds like alot but I've only been doing this since December, and feel very comfortable now. This board has been my god send. No question is silly. Hope this helps
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

Margaret,

I would test AM and PM fast, the one hour earlier in AM before food is OK, I do this on occassion as long as I get a pre meal number.

Then once you get comfortable doing this try a mini curve testing pre meal and every 2 hrs after that up to 6-8 hrs, but don't feel you have to do this at first, doing the testing may come easy to you, sometimes you just end up putting the meter away for another day if you get frustrated.

The figures may look different using vetsulin i can't recall if you use that because that has 2 peaks and maybe someone else can advise on that.

I tail test, I have to shave Niki a little bit, she never went for the lip, but will let me do her tail with no problem, once you find the right spot you're ok.

Hope this helps.

Dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Margaret,

You can worry about how accurate your meter is after you get started. For now, just start testing and see what kind of results you get and do keep track of all of them - the time, the BG result, and the number of units of insulin given last.

I would test premeals more or less. Thirty minutes isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Once you have collected some data, it's trends that are interesting more than individual numbers.

Here's a sample of one of Chris' charts of his BG done with home testing.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Natalie,
Thanks for the chart I am not too sure about it though I can see the numbers but I did not know what all the small crosses were (stupid) or what. I have not started yet I set up the meter this morning and I done three tests on myself on my fingers the first one was set at number 4 it did not hurt but it did sting a bit for a wee while after ( I said no this would not do Lucy) Next I tried 3 this was better but still stung slightly ( was getting plenty of blood each time ) so then I tried 2 and this was quite comfortable. I do not want to put her off the first time I do it Natalie I will try 1 and see if I can get a drop of blood from her if not then I will try the 2.
The reason I am not doing Lucy yet is I only had 10 lancets and strips but I am still urine testing. I am waiting on 100 strips coming and more lancets. Over the weekend I may do a couple on Lucy to see how she is with it I have been lifting up her lip every so often on both sides and handling it and she is fine with this it may be a bit different when I use the lancet time will tell. I am waiting on cultures coming back for Lucy to see if we are dealing with infection again (UTI). Her urine tests have been a bit erratic the last few days.
When I start Natalie I will post Lucy's readings and you can help me with it show me how to do a small chart. By the way my BG was 6.1

Thanks again
Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelostit View Post
Margaret,

I would test AM and PM fast, the one hour earlier in AM before food is OK, I do this on occassion as long as I get a pre meal number.

Then once you get comfortable doing this try a mini curve testing pre meal and every 2 hrs after that up to 6-8 hrs, but don't feel you have to do this at first, doing the testing may come easy to you, sometimes you just end up putting the meter away for another day if you get frustrated.

The figures may look different using vetsulin i can't recall if you use that because that has 2 peaks and maybe someone else can advise on that.

I tail test, I have to shave Niki a little bit, she never went for the lip, but will let me do her tail with no problem, once you find the right spot you're ok.

Hope this helps.

Dolly
Hi Dolly.
I have not started as yet you will see what I have sent to Natalie. When I do I will do it premeals and 2hours after the meal just to give me an idea what is going on. Lucy is on Caninsulin I will need to read up on it again. I know they talk about two peaks. I will check it out thanks for getting back to me Dolly
there will be more questions

LOL
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Hi Peggy,
It is just getting started but like you I will do some mini curves to see what pattern is emerging and no doubt I will need support. Once the extra lancets and strips arrive I will
have a practice run. You will see my results on here and any help will be welcome.

Thanks Peggyxx
Old 03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

We'll be here for you! BTW my father was from Scotland Been to Edinburgh many times and love it there
Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I am not much into manual labor, so I can get a drop of blood from my finger with the Softclix lancing device set on 1/2! With Chris we used 2.0 or 2.5.

You might look into getting a Softclix lancing device. They are quieter and seem to be gentler too. It's the only one I used with Chris. I prefer the single lance version over the barrel one. I never cared much for the one that comes with the OneTouch.

Once you get all your supplies, you can save a lot of test strips by working on the blood drop only first. Once you can reliably get a good sized blood drop, then you can "add in" the testing part.

Natalie