Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Default Vetsulin vs. Novolin N vs. Novolin 70/30

So we are going on just about a year with Ace and his EPI/Diabetes and he has been fairly stable (for the most part) with 6 units of Vetsulin twice daily at meals. I've been recently looking at costs and ways to manage his diabetes and found some threads along the way talking about Novlin N but haven't really found a whole lot of discussion pertaining to the 70/30 mixture. In what (I think) i'm reading, the 70/30 a little more closely matches with the profile of vetsulin with a fast acting and longer lasting component. The 'N' is more of a long acting insulin.
I'm just trying to weigh out some options and my current vet does not have a lot of background in dealing with diabetes. Looking forward to hearing from anyone. THANKS in advance!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Vetsulin vs. Novolin N vs. Novolin 70/30

Most of us who have switched their dogs from Vetsulin to Novolin N have been successful. You can get it at Walmart for about $25 per vial.

I would start your dog with Novolin N, which is an intermediate acting insulin, and see how he adjusts to it. Donít even worry about Novolin 70/30.

Most dogs wind up on the same dose of Novolin N as they were on with Vetsulin. To be safe, you could start him with one unit less and then do a curve every week until you get him to the proper dose.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. I still have some time before my schedule winds down enough that I'm able to make a switch. Just wanted to try to gather as much info as I can in the meantime.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Just a reminder that you would also want to switch syringes. Vetsulin uses U-40 syringes, while Novolin-N uses U-100 syringes. This is another advantage since U-100 syringes are the standard syringe used by most humans and come in various sizes that might be easier on the pup. I believe Walmart sells U-100 syringes $12 for 100. Prescriptions may, or may not be required, depending on your local laws / regulations.

Craig
Old 05-30-2019, 09:38 AM

Vetsulin users actually now have a better option with their choice of insulin syringes.
Advocate has developed a new very thin 31g U-40 syringe. Available also with half unit markings on the barrel.
They come in either 0.5cc or the 0.3cc.

https://advocatemeters.com/advocate-...-5-16-100-box/

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 07-22-2019, 05:51 AM

I've been ordering my syringes from ADW diabetes online. The ones i get also have the 1/2 unit markings. I haven't been able to make the switch over yet due to travel, family visits, and just life in general. Been too hectic to make the switch AND make sure that everything is pretty much stable before making the switch.
Ace (border collie) was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18 and weighed 24.6 lbs. On 7/28/18, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic. 2 meals per day. 1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, and 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese. 7 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Founding Member

If its working for you and your dog you maybe good to go
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcooper14 View Post
I've been ordering my syringes from ADW diabetes online. The ones i get also have the 1/2 unit markings. I haven't been able to make the switch over yet due to travel, family visits, and just life in general. Been too hectic to make the switch AND make sure that everything is pretty much stable before making the switch.
It might be a good idea if you would tell us exactly what syringe you are currently using with your Vetsulin. Iím a worry-wart and believe itís important to use the correct syringe.

Please remember to get U-100 syringes when you switch to Novolin-N. Using the wrong syringe could result in an insulin overdose. When I switched from Vetsulin to Novolin-N, I donated my leftover U-40 (Vetsulin) syringes to my vet clinic because I wanted them out of the house to prevent any mistake.

Craig
Old 08-19-2019, 01:26 PM

Does anyone continue to have such wide BG swings on VETSULIN??? I haven't been here for awhile..still up 24/7 worrying about the awful swings with VETSULIN..am still trying after 1.5 years to decide whether to change to Novolin 70/30..If no one has terrible BG swings, then I don't know??? But started thinking...It is thought that a few dogs only need 1 dose/24 hours but most need 2/24hrs...so what if the VETSULIN kicks in sometimes working on 24 hour curve vs 12 hour curve? OR what if the beginning of the vile does not remain the same constituency as at the end of the vile for whatever reason..20 shakes/rolls vs 15, etc.? I almost think I'd rather mix two insulins myself as use to be done with patients in the old days. BTW..because Suzie is so small, I use U-100 =9u rather than U-40= 3.6 units. I hope all of your babies are doing well!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=811447094
Old 08-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Founding Member

do you have any recent complete curves so we can have a look see ?
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number