Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Snickers' story

oh i see it sounds like the food change maybe the culprit

i give jesse a teaspoon of honey to lick off the spoon when blood sugar is lower but we must remember the affects of pure sugar may only last up to an hour at most and then sugar can start dropping again

i would not hesitate to give some snacks throughout the day if not testing blood sugar . shaking and some panic can be a sign of low blood sugar . severely disorientated maybe on the threshold of a seizure from low sugar

usually lethargy can be a symptom leading up to low blood sugar but it also can be spiking or dropping sugar or lower or higher sugar so thats a difficult symptom to get the full story
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Do you have any of the old food that you could use to mix the new in slowly?
Old 01-31-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Do you have any of the old food that you could use to mix the new in slowly?
Yeah, normally she does not have any problems switching different foods, different brands. Since she was diagnosed we've been using Earthborn and it's worked pretty good but she tires of her food so in the past we always rotated.

Last week we tried Nutri Source which seemed to work really well for her blood glucose but she didn't really like it and it was getting to be an ordeal to get her to eat it. Friday morning she wouldn't eat it at all so today I decided to try a Natural Balance variety. Couldn't tell if it was the food that made her sick or what but I'm reluctant to try it again.

I suspect that foods with potatoes or rice give her problems so that has been the challenge - to find foods without those ingredients. I kept giving her snacks today - these omega 3 treats she has - and her glucose shot up to over 400! Her bg stayed pretty good the first couple of hours after she vomited but after those treats it went up almost 300 points.

I've suspected fish oil as being a problem for her and cut it out for a while. I don't think I'll go back to that either.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:00 PM

My dog can't eat potatoes or rice either. She likes the taste but those ingredients don't like her.

Nutrisca is a brand you might try with no potato or rice. Dogs seem to like it. I usually don't push brands but finding something with no potato or rice is tough because most can be very high protein.

Is it possible the food was bad? Does it smell funny?
Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
My dog can't eat potatoes or rice either. She likes the taste but those ingredients don't like her.

Nutrisca is a brand you might try with no potato or rice. Dogs seem to like it. I usually don't push brands but finding something with no potato or rice is tough because most can be very high protein.

Is it possible the food was bad? Does it smell funny?
I think the food was ok. I'm not even sure that's what caused Snickers to get sick but she wasn't that excited about the food either so I think I will just return it.

I'm thinking about trying Nutrisca but I can't buy it locally so I would have to order it. I usually try to get things locally so I don't have to plan ahead and order or be worried that something will arrive on time. But I really want to be able to rotate food so I think I will give it a try.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:24 PM

I rotate the flavors of Nutrisca - chicken, lamb and salmon. If you do try Nutrisca, I will tell you that we went from 5 units of insulin down to 2.5 units. Are you testing blood sugar? If not, I would. Low glycemic food can be tricky and it doesn't work for everyone. It can cause lows - maggie gets 4 meals (things like frozen yogurt(yoghund) and a carby bones or freeze dried meats). Low glycemic food can need what I call propping up to have staying power but it could just be her.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM

So this morning I gave Snicker's a fur shot. I've been trying to be careful with the shots because she was having pain with them initially but this morning it just went wrong.

Do you just leave it as is? I feel terrible because this morning she ate all her food without much fuss and her numbers were a little high.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Founding Member

the thing about fur shots is do you know for sure that no insulin got into the body ? if not most dont repeat with another shot but if you want to make a few more tests today you maybe able to give a quarter of the dose maybe up to an hour after meal but i could see 2 hours because the shot is so much smaller
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-17-2016, 07:11 PM

We have had similar issues as our girl is young and this is our first at this. Definitely tely don't try again as you can never be sure if you got any in or not. We waited till it was time for the next shot but we will be started to test at ho!e next week.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 AM

I opted to wait and not give her another shot. Numbers were high last night and again this morning as expected. I'm pretty sure I missed her completely. She even sat and looked at me before the walk like she knew she didn't get any insulin and she needed a real shot .

But she's been acting normal with no excessive thirst or urination. Could be worse I guess.