Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Hi all!!! Some of you may remember me as Princess Tiggys mom..... she passed one year ago after being a sugar baby for 8 years💜. Well Iím taking the ride again as my other little Chihuahua, Andie, was just diagnosed 😳. Yep, what are the chances of it happening again so quick?!?!

On this forum we always used the quote... everybodyís dogs are different... and Iím finding out first hand that is so true!! Testing was a breeze with Tig... Andie gave me a challenge from the get go!!! I can now test on the lip!!! Yay!!! No more rice sock in the microwave!🤣. I had to look at everyoneís testing sights on the main page... thank you Natalie!! to figure something out for my girl and the lip was it. And yes, feeding breakfast is just as big of a challenge as it was for Tiggy but weíre here for the long haul and I hope Andie will live a long and happy like as Tiggy did!!🐾💜

Sandy
Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Welcome back. There isn't much activity here anymore, but some of us still check.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann
Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 AM
Founding Member

well Andie is lucky to have you! I hope she continues to have a great life and starts eating her breakfast!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Founding Member

Welcome back sandy

The lip has been jesses go to spot for her diabetic life . It sounds like you got Andie going in the right direction

You have shown with Tiggy that a dog can live a long life with diabetes . Jesse is at 9.5 years now
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdavis View Post
Welcome back. There isn't much activity here anymore, but some of us still check.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann
I see that!!! Natalie warmed me but I didnít think itíd be this desolate!😞. Itís a shame with the crazy advice people get on some of those FB pages!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
Welcome back sandy

The lip has been jesses go to spot for her diabetic life . It sounds like you got Andie going in the right direction

You have shown with Tiggy that a dog can live a long life with diabetes . Jesse is at 9.5 years now
Just trying to pick up where I left off lol. Amazed and so glad to see you guys are still doing so well!!!!! Question for you though, since you give Jesse only one meal, how do you work things out with her insulin??
Old 09-03-2019, 09:12 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
Just trying to pick up where I left off lol. Amazed and so glad to see you guys are still doing so well!!!!! Question for you though, since you give Jesse only one meal, how do you work things out with her insulin??
Well what I do is give her her one meal at 5 pm with half her insulin then i give the other half 2 hours later . In the morning I give her a dose of insulin and a milk bone snack at 7 am

So I give her 3 units at 7 am ,3 units at 5 pm and 3 units at 7 pm but that can change a bit depending when i test her before each dose .

This system has worked very well for jesse . Dont have to worry if she has an appetite in the morning and almost a 100 percent she has good appetite for her one meal

The other thing about her split dose in the evening I am not giving a full dose at meal time so I get a second look at 7 pm before bedtime a couple hours later so I can adjust the dose if needed . Our goal was to build safety into her routine so not to go to low and knock on wood we have accomplish that so far

I am so glad we went this direction because as dogs get older there appetite usually declines. It shows a routine can be modified to a dogs challenges and caretakers schedule and still work just fine . You just have to stay consistent in whatever you do
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Thanks!! Gonna looks into something similar... she REALLY hates eating in the mornings!! But offer her a treat and sheís all in so your formula with some personalized modifications might just work!!! Itís kinda what Iíve been doing all week anyway since I really havenít been able to get any breakfast into her. Now I just have to get the hubby on board with testing the lip hahaha Iíve showed him sheís so much more relaxed than doing the base of the tail but I can see him cringe every time he watched me do it lol
Old 09-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Having experience should make it a lot easier on the nerves, you know some of what to expect in the regulation process.

Activity is low on here right now, but I see that as positive, meaning most people have things under control and their dogs are doing well.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Founding Member

Yeah I remember showing the vet testing the lip and she thought it was cruel to do at the time . Funny over 10,000 or more tests latter its not a problem for jesse on her inner lip area

I always thought why fight to try to make something work . If it doesnt work try something else your testing so you know if it works or not

Let us know what your doing because its nice to see what others do which opens up the playbook for the rest of us