Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Yup the lip worked great for us
I added some salmon juice on Riles food for breakfast..he gobbled it up
Different tricks for different dogs
Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Founding Member

ha! I remember when vet #3 didn't want to use my curve info because it came from Jenny's lip which might be dirty. By the end he'd just say "you've got the diabetes thing handled right?" LOL

You and Tiggy pretty much taught me how to test so I know you can get your husband trained! xoxo
Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
ha! I remember when vet #3 didn't want to use my curve info because it came from Jenny's lip which might be dirty. By the end he'd just say "you've got the diabetes thing handled right?" LOL

You and Tiggy pretty much taught me how to test so I know you can get your husband trained! xoxo

😆😆those were interesting days for sure!!! But at least we all knew we weren稚 in the trenches alone!!
In ALL the years with tiggy I think my hubby actually got a good test ONCE!!!😳. Usually it was one of my girls to do it, but now one lives in Texas and the other works crazy hours so we値l see lol
Old 09-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Jesse girl I just want to say THANK YOU!! Giving Andie 1/2 her dose in the morning with my treat driven girl seems to be working great! No coaxing in the world would get this girl to actually eat a meal so I知 doing a modified version of your routine and so far so good. Tastings have been high 300痴 and I plan on doing an actual curve tomorrow. But the fact there痴 no stress, wasted food, me sitting on the floor crying lol is a good thing!! I thought Tiggy was a picky eater?!?! 😆. Every dog is different and we need to do what works!!
Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Founding Member

Oh that is great to hear Sandy . Not many will go down this path and I dont understand why . It doesnt need to be a struggle . You just need to stay consistent with whatever you are doing and you should get adequate blood sugar and have happier human and dog for this new reality .

keep us posted on how its going so others can see
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-15-2019, 05:52 PM

So I ran a curve today on her not so covential day time routine lol

Perfect bowl!! So I guess I’m gonna have to do an all nighter to see how she does with a full 4U and a regular meal though��. Thoughts Jesse Girl??
6:30. 413. 1/2 sausage treat. 1greenie 2.5u
8:30. 357
1030. 225
12:30. 215
2:30. 299
4:30. 354
Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Founding Member

Yep I did some all nighters

Curve looks good .You getting close to going with a quarter to half unit increases so not to upset the balance of the curve

Doing good sandy . Stay consistent with what you do and only make one change at a time

Your at safe level so no reason to be impatient
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Thanks!!!! You validated EXACTLY what I was thinking!!
Fed dinner 1/2 hr early and she was 390. Fed normal dinner and gave 4U. Going continue the curve for as long as I can tonight.... I知 NOT a night owl by ANY means!! Lol. I have a feeling I値l have to raise her pm dose slightly and hopefully she値l hit the bottom of the bowl at midnight tonight. Fingers crossed!! I値l let you know what I get!!
Thanks for your input!!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 AM

So the night Time curve doesn’t look as pretty. Let me mention she’s 16lbs... her meal is 1/3 c kibble soaked in chicken stock , 1/3 c boiled chicken, 1 tsp Metamucil
6:00 390. Fed and 4U
8:00. 269
10:00. 387
12:00. 392
2:00. 490
4:00. 460
I’m sure she’ll be in the low 400’s at 6 for her morning dose

I really don’t think it’s just food got ahead of the insulin, it’s just not enough... raising 1/2 unit for her dinner injection tonight
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Founding Member

I think it just takes time . jesse 6 hours after eating vomited and her food wasn't even digested yet so the belief that food in dogs have much of an affect on blood sugar in the beginning may not really apply . I think for dogs they just have a reaction to injected human insulin and the body needs to adapt . Its nothing like he natural process of calling up insulin or sugar on demand . Its a time lapse system now

you could be at it for months till you get to a point that you are satisfied . jesse always had better sugar with the dose without the meal . Her regulation is from 100 to 250 on average

great job sandy on the night time curve . Its nice to know how things are going . so the goal would be to reduce the fasting number slowly over time .