Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Is an Angel - Loved, Released, and All Promises Kept

What a wonderful place for support and information:
    Eddie- 10 yr old Rat terrier - 15 lbs (perfect weight) Diagnosed 9/25/10 started on 2 units we are now up to 6 units still trying to get him regulated we are getting close I think.
    Diet WD Kibble and can he prefers the can.
    Ed was diagnosed in March of this year with Pancreatitis, not sure why he wasn't tested at the time for diabetes. He was one sick little fellow - I was worried sick about him
    Water intake and output increased and this was how he was diagnosed. I transfered Ed's care (1 month into this diagnosis) after some reccomendations- he had and has a great Vet who is diabetes savvy- we are fortunate that she is close by with Early am - late pm and Sat/Sun hours

I have learned to home test, each time is a little easier. I will attemp a curve tommorrow and hope to be successful.Now that I know he isn't dying right this minute I can breathe again

I will post a pic of Ed once I figure out how
    jj
    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Re: New member

Welcome to you and Eddie.

I'm glad you have a knowledgeable vet because that is a great start and home testing will be so helpful. What do you feed and which insulin?

Love to see some of the BG numbers and the curve when you get it done.

Jenny

Comment

Hi jj and Eddie,

I'm so glad you found us here, as I believe this forum is far superior to any other on canine diabetes - that's because of the wisdom, knowledge, and completely responsible posting, of site-owner Natalie, and moderators Patty and Peggy. (And it seems the rest of us forum members try to follow suit; haha! - or, if we don't have answers, we ask questions!)

Also, it's particularly excellent because of the organization - one dog, one thread, so we can track each dog!

Sounds as though you're well under way. It's still very early in Ed's career as a diabetic dog, and you might find - are likely to find - that his insulin dose needs adjusting from time to time.

I"m SO glad you can test Eddie's BG levels at home, because if his numbers start dropping too low, you can give him Karo or other syrup, then a snack, and - undoubtedly, adjust his insulin dose accordingly.

Diabetic dogs ARE very individual in the amount of insulin they require. My Kumbi, Australian Terrier, was getting around 7 units twice daily

Looking forward to seeing Ed'a pI'll be watching and cheering you on

Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:03:56 (PST)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Thanks for the welcome -
        I was immediately over whelmed with the diagnosis 9but gald to have one now at least I know what we are dealing with.
        I have learned alot in the past few months and still learning-
        I have lots of questions still and many fears- hypo being one of em- hyper the other. I have slep many nights with one hand on him and the other on the phone.
        I have stuggled to understand a curve, but have a better understanding, just by being a lurker on this site :-) and then thought to just join ya'll

I am happy to start each day with a wagging tail instead of one that is tucked (usually an indicator of sorts) he is doing great especially over the past few days! - His weight is stable now-at first he did lose 2 pounds

Ed is very intuned as Rat terriers are I belong to him and he is very specific about that. My first dog in over 20yrs - work kept me too busy to committ.
        I have had him since he was 10 weeks old- crate trained and housebroken at 12 weeks,
        Ed'd diet is W/D - prior to dx he was on id
        Insulin is Humulin N
        Ed has a wonderul pet sitter that comes when needed for visits

My vet is phenomenal -
        All staff is instructed that when a parent of a diabetic dog calls they are to stop and get a tech to take that call over all others- sorta like a diabetes hotline! Doors open at 700am - usualy the time when shots are being given I have called a few times in the am! and they close at 6pm.
        The pic posted is couple of years old but still ED, he is just a little graier around the eyes- I will change em up he does love a camera.
        Thank Ya'll again

Comment

JJ and Ed,
          Welcome and sounds like you have a good start with Ed. I see you are using Humulin, and just want to be sure you know about the great price of Humulin insulins at Walmart ($24.99).

Annie and I will be reading your thread here on the forum.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Welcome to you and Ed!

What a wonderful thing to hear you have a great vet! Sounds like you're on a good road toward regulating Ed. Glad you decided to join.

Look forward to hearing more as time goes on.
            Take care,
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome JJ and Ed.

Comment

Hi JJ - I'm a fellow lurker as well! I learned a lot that way. But I'm glad you joined and welcome to you and Ed. Ed may have diabetes, but I've read that Rat Terriers are by in large a very healthy breed so perhaps this ride will be a piece of cake for you and Ed.

Comment

What a great price almost 50% less than Walgreens. I bought an extra bottle just in case I dropped the open one. I wish I had known about Walmart. Thanks again

Comment

Welcome to you and Ed.

Having a phenominal vet is fabulous news and everyone's dream. Lucky you

Good luck
                    Louise

Comment

Welcome JJ & Ed,

My JRT, Maggie May, has a similar story to Ed. Diabetes was apparently brought on by an unexpected bout of pancreatitis this October.

We started at 2 units, then to 6, now we are back to 3. Most of the unit changes are due to stomach issues. Maggie has always had a sensitive stomach. She is allergic to corn, etc., so we are changing from the current diet of i/d. Plus, she is dropping weight. That food does not support her level of activity very well. I am slowly intergrating Blue Buffalo Longevity dry and canned. I am sure that the insulin will have to be adjusted again.

Good luck to you and Ed. It sounds like you have a great support system at home. You will find lots of tips, critical information, and encouragement here as well.
                      Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.

Comment

First Home Curve- Talk about exhausting

Okay, I did it. I will post numbers later today- sent off to my vet this am via e-mail- she usually responds mid-day.
                        I do not remember if I saw it here, but did i see a posting that +35 is added if using the relion micro- I have a One touch Ultra Mini as well just requires more blood.
                        Off to work I go.
                        Jj

Comment

Re: First Home Curve- Talk about exhausting

jj - heartiest congratulations to you for getting a curve on Eddie! Exhausting? Oh, YES!

You'll be glad to know the first time is the worst. I found the scheduling always difficult and annoying, adding an element of fatigue right there.

I use a computer Calendar program (Calendarscope)

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/calendarscope.php

(works only on PCs, sorry)

to schedule my readings. Without that, I"d go TOTALLY NUTS! The computer keeps talking to me (beeps) till I check off the task.

But then also, I'd keep track of the readings right there in the Calendar - very handy. However, I used a text file - ONE single file - to keep track of all readings until Kumbi died of cancer this past 8 June.

Takes up very little room. HOWEVER, the HARD COPY (paper) is what counts, so I kept spiral notebooks, leaving a few pages blank at the start, numbering the pages, and putting date at the top of each page. Then I'd write down the readings in this notebook. THAT is the most useful record possible.

For those unfamiliar with curves, here's a description (with step-by-step instructions based on my Lip-Sticks with Kumbi)

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/bgcurveprep.php

And for those who just LOVE charts, here's a collection of charts, a few from this forum, mostly, Kumbi.

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/curvejourney.php

I'm through making charts - need to move on - takes me forever to make ONE chart, because my skills are so limited. HOWEVER, I will be HERE on the forum, cheering you all on.

And I'm SO HAPPY for you, for your success, and I'll be watching for your numbers report!

P.S. It's best to include times of feeding and giving insulin along with your readings; otherwise, the readings are more difficult to interpret. I trust you did that for Eddie, but if not, you can add that information.

Mon, 6 Dec 2010 06:04:26 (PST)
                          http://www.coherentdog.org/
                          CarolW

Comment

Okay folks,
                            see below my first home curve- It was exhausting for me but Ed was very patient. He decide to throw up 2.5 hrs into curve- I immed called vet- fed him and 5mg of pepcid.
                            He hadn't done that in a while.
                            According to the amount for his weight 3/4 of a can is alot of food. He does have hx of Pancreatitis.
                            E-mailed curve to vet-
                            Thanks everybody for the support- I noticed some new folks on and need to give some encourgaement- trying to catch up - have a great day!

12/5/10
                            breakfast 630am - - 6 units 645am - did not get a pre-feed/shot read
                            Date Time BG
                            12/05/10 855 am 169 - 2 hrs post shot
                            12/05/10 1100am 147 6hr-***
                            12/05/10 300pm 214 9hr
                            12/05/10 603pm 168
                            12/05/10 607pm 155
                            12/05/10 1050pm 224 4 hrs post pm feed and shot

12/06/10 638am 391 Am pre feed and preshot 6 units 6:45am

*** Ed threw up breakfast- 2.5hrs into curve @10:30am- called Dr W. fed some food 11:30am - pepcid 12:30 fed some more

Comment

Good work Ed! (and you too JJ)

Of course the throw-up, and extra food, may have affected the curve but the numbers looked very good.
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X