Jake passed away November 12, 2016 at 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake passed away November 12, 2016 at 13

Hi, My name is Linda and I have a 9 year old yellow lab named Jake. I noticed that Jake was drinking a lot of water, peeing more and acting sluggish. Since my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 15, I put two and two together. I did a urine test and the glucose was as high as it could register. After several failed attempts at trying to use his ear to check his blood, I was able to use get a reading using his inner lip. (I now use his callous elbows) Blood glucose was in the high 400's. I took him to the vet and they gave a diagnosis of diabetes on Sept 24th. I was able to keep Jake at home and we have been working at getting him regulated. I think it has gone very well. Jake gets 17 units of novolin n twice a day and his highest reading in the last 5 days was 258 and the lowest 111. We have a check-up at the vet tomorrow to see if any adjustments need made to his insulin levels. I have to say I was frightened about this new adventure, but it has been much easier than when I was dealing with my daughter. I can control Jake's food, exercise etc. much easier than a teenager. My daughter is now in her late 30's and has excellent control of her diabetes, so I hope Jake does as well. I'm sure I will have lots of questions as we get further into this.

Jake
    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Re: Jake

Jake is a beautiful boy. Lol on him being easier to control than a teenager! I'm glad your daughter is doing well too!

Are they going to do a curve tomorrow? Since you are adept at home testing you might want to see if you could do your own curve and they could analyze the data? less stress for Jake and less money out of pocket for you

congratulations on getting him under control so quickly! Judi
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Are they going to do a curve tomorrow? Since you are adept at home testing you might want to see if you could do your own curve and they could analyze the data? less stress for Jake and less money out of pocket for you
      Judi, The vet was comfortable with letting me do the curve at home. I have done two, the latest one yesterday and the vet will use it to adjust Jake's insulin. This has saved me a good deal of money. Jake has been great at letting me poke him!

Jake

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like things are going well, and that's great. Keep us updated.
        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Welcome to you and Jake. Sounds like you've been on top of things from the beginning - always a bonus! Glad that your daughter is doing well too! If you have curves you wish to share the folks here can offer feedback should you have any questions or concerns along the way. Holli
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It looks like I should keep all my questions and comment in my original post?

This is the curve I did yesterday for our vet appointment tomorrow morning. I realize I did not do the testing every two hours and my vet said I did not have to get up throughout the night to test. Any comments welcome.
            Thursday, Oct. 18
            6:00 am:111 (breakfast and shot) 17 units of novolin N
            9:00 am: 123
            Noon: 235
            2:00 pm: 233
            5:00 pm: 154 (dinner and shot) 17 units of novolin N
            7:00 pm: 158
            10:00 pm: 230
            2:00 am: 150
            Friday October 19
            6:15 am: 118 (breakfast and shot) 17 units of novolin N

Jake

Comment

Looks pretty darn good!
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hey, for only being diagnosed a few weeks ago and seeing numbers like that, there are going to be a few folks on here that are jealous. Great job! What brand of meter are you using?
                Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

What brand of meter are you using?
                  I'm using the OneTouch Ultra.

Jake

Comment

From Dog, Diet, Insulin thread:
                    Originally posted by Linda1 View Post
                    Jake was diagnosed Sept, 24, 2012

Dog's name, breed: Jake, Labrador retriever

Dog's weight: currently 86 - Jake was 92 before diabetes

Diet: 4 health lamb and rice, 1 & 7/8 cups twice a day

Insulin: novolin N

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 17 units twice a day, still regulating. This is just week 4 since being diagnosed.

Brand of BG meter if home testing: One Touch Ultra
                    That's pretty impressive!
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome to you both

Beautiful numbers for beautiful Jake. Impressive

Louise

Comment

D'oh! Thanks for reposting, Patty Forgot to check that thread!
                        Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

Welcome to you and Jake

You are doing so well testing and his numbers are fantastic !! I am jealous!! No not at all just so glad you were able to see good results so quickly and glad too that you did not go through all the ups and downs that many of us here have experienced in trying to regulate our pups. It's lovely to hear good news!
                          Well done again and continued success with Jake.
                          Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Lovely curve!!! Maybe Jake will be one of those rare quick-and-easy regulators.

Natalie

Comment

Wow Jake is a great looking pup and those are great looking numbers too. A big hello and welcome to you both, you are doing so well!
                              Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Working...
                              X