How the Hank Turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How the Hank Turns

Thanks Patty! I was just thinking of you the other day when I spotted some squirrels in my backyard and remembered how much Ali used to love them! Always made me smile to think of!

And gotcha, Amy! Inconsistency is the new consistent! Today he had a fine day...got up a bit late...no urinating in the house. *sigh* I just toss my hands in the air and go 'what the hey!' LOL

He still likes his cat food and he still likes his treats (cringe and double cringe). As long as he keeps up with that stuff...I'm ok. When we went to the new vet, she asked me what food I had him on...and I had to chuckle, look chagrined and admit that we'd all pretty much given up on him ever eating anything that was actually good for him. She laughed too and got it right off. Think that is when I decided I like her! She realized the futility and was ok with that. I should call him my junk food dog! LMAO
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

What we did with Sydney was figure out the three things she really enjoyed doing - and when those were gone - and she had more "frown" days than "smiley" days, we knew it was time.

For Soaphie - for her three things we are using 1) eating!! 2) walks and wagon rides 3) snuggles - she LOVES snuggles
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Happy belated holidays, Shellie! Always great to hear from you.

Here is to wishing 2015 brings more good days than not so good days for you and Hank. I've always thought of him as one of 'our' dogs on here and have a soft spot for him as some of your stories of him remind me of Decker. Please give him a belly rub from me.

Hugs to you. No easy way to navigate through watching your pup grow old and coming to the realization that they are not invincible.

We are all here for you and Hank. Take it day by day and enjoy each and every good moment - may those far outweigh the bad moments.
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Hi Holly! I think of you and Decker often! I really wish we had gotten together while Decker was still here with us! Things going well with you, I hope!

I love that idea of the three things! That seems to be so sensible and it seems to be so thoughtful of their little lives! I will keep that in mind! Thank you!

I DO happen to have news! Hank had his ultrasound this morning! He's clear! No mass! No cancer!!! I am so excited that I'm not even sure how I feel! I was so, so down and this is just such great news! Apparently, he does have some minor calcification in his left kidney but that's pretty normal for his age. If it did develop into a stone, then we'd be in trouble but for now, we're good. Doctor said, 'we could put him on a special diet...' and I laughed! Right! So she just said he's good to go.

We did put him on tramadol for the stomach discomfort and we'll be continuing on the famotidine as well. I'm also moving his dosing sched slowly to a later time which seems to be helping already.

Yep...he's old, wanders a bit, has his issues...but he's going to be ok! Yay!!!! Thank you to everyone for all your good thoughts! I know it helped me...and helped my little man, too! Hugs!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Yay! So glad you got good news!
            Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Thanks Mandy! I was very relieved! Whew!

But especially after you chimed in...I had a lot more hope of Hank being ok. Knowing someone else who was going thru it...and doing ok...made a lot of difference! Thank you for helping! Hugs!!!

Comment

• Hey Shelly- just stopping in and saw you posted! So glad you guys are found well. Love me some hank!!!

I have my scruffy little spoiled cat/dog Luigi. He will only eat his food if I mix Sheba cat food in it and it always reminds me of Hank! He's the same size as the cats and loves them. My Chooch does give him quite the wallop occasionally.

Happy holidays and wishing for a great new year to you both and everyone else.
                I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

Yeah for more good Hank news - breathing a big sigh of relief here!

Your comment about meeting Decker totally made me smile. I can just picture in my head how that encounter may have gone - total chaos at it's best. He really did love people and would have been thrilled with the experience though.

Happy 2015 - hoping the year brings continued good news and lots of peace and joy.
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

great news! special diet - that made me laugh!

whew
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Yeah...that special diet suggestion made me giggle, too!

I think I would have adored Decker! He was just so goofy...I loved watching his videos!

Luigi sounds great! LOL Yep..cat food will do it every time!

Hugs and happy new year to all!

Comment

I absolutely LOVE that kind of ultrasound!

Natalie

Comment

Wonderful to hear!
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Shellie,

So glad that you and Hank are hanging in there.... and the results of the ultrasound was good news.

Always look forward to your posts.

Barb
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Such good news to start off the new year! Great to hear!
                              Mel
                              Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I swear that, every time I get five minutes, I KNOW there is something I have been wanting to do...and I keep forgetting it's come here!

Hank is doing pretty well. We had a bit of a problem with the possibility of having to have his four teeth cleaned due to bad breath but the vet says there is no infection or anything other than a bit of ickies in there to warrant a full surgery. She didn't want to do it since there might be more risk at his age. She also heard a third heartbeat which worried her. So no teeth cleaning! Yay!

He's getting a bit more walking in now that the weather is warming up (cross your fingers for us!) and I'm so excited (well...for him, not me...bleck! lol) that the extra exercise will be good for him. He's been getting so little this winter that I actually considered a doggy treadmill.

I have noticed a bit more confusion and/or wandering lately. I'm not really sure what it is...whether it's related to the diabetes or the blindness/deafness. Or just old age. He's on tramadol in the evenings... a half of a 75mg (?) pill for his tummy pain. I thought maybe that might be a contributing factor but it's not really a new symptom. I'm just grateful he can't open the door and wander off like you hear about the little old people on the news!

So we ARE coming up on birthday number SIXTEEN! (We think..you know rescue dogs!) That's like five hundred in dog years, right? *wink wink* Older than the rest of us in my house anyhow! Wow! And three and a half years as a semi-regulated diabetic! Woohoo! Three years? Four? Dang...when did he get diagnosed. Ok..so he's not the only one wandering around confused! LOL He's old and been diabetic a long time...how's that? LOL

Onward and upward! Take care all my lovely friends! Hugs!

Comment

Working...
                                X