Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Default Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

If you gave him the full dose of insulin I wouldn't cut his food amount.

I assume you want to fast or reduce the food for the diarrhea? To do that safely you would also need to cut the insulin dose proportionately.

Beyond that I wholeheartedly second what Sandy said about raising the dose based on one high spot check.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Well, Joe Cooper's back in range again, thank God. And thank Sandy and all the rest of you for your good advice. It does appear I gave in to "chasing the numbers." This is a frustrating game--but he's worth it.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM

Just an update on Shelby and the switch - we finally made it last week. I had stocked up on Humulin in August. She actually seems to be slightly more level on the Novolin.

The first few days I lowered her dose of course and her readings barely changed within 50 points high and low but she was in the 300-350 range. I was only able to measure 3-4 times over the course of each of those 12 hour periods since they were work days, so it's possible something weird happened I didnt catch.

We are back at 9.5/10 units now, and her readings vary more high to low. She is however staying mostly between 100 (on the Relion Confirm) and 250. It's only been a week, but I havent seen some of the higher morning readings I have seen quite often before.

We'll see how it goes! Good luck to everyone else!
Shelby - JRT | b: 7/02, a: 9/14/02 | Addison's Disease - symptoms appeared 8/25/09, DX 10/5/09 | Diabetes - 5/26/11 | Blind 7/11 | W/D can/dry | Novolin N (Relion), Percoten (every 27 dys - Addisons), Prednisolone (Addisons), Actigal (for gallbladder), Liver supplement
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Three weeks ago I went to Walmart to purchase the Humulin N and the cashier handed me Novolin N and said it was the "same thing". Seventeen days, later my pug was having a diabetic seizure for the first time. We took a trip to the vet 2am in the morning and her gluclose level was 40. I have been using the Humulin N for 15 months and my Ginger was very well adjusted. The vet is pretty sure that the change of insulin was the reason for this visit. He changed her insulin dosage from 8 to 4 (in half) and I have to now start monitoring her at home. I feel stupid for listening to the cashier and I never even thought to question the change of medicine. $600 later....... My knowledge of diabetes is minimal and I'm learning a little more each day. I now have to order a glucose meter kit..any suggetions anyone? The vet suggested Alphatrak 2.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Administrator

There was a time, years ago, when I viewed the Humulin and Novolin as essentially interchangeable, but as the switches have been occurring over the past year or so, it seems that they do have somewhat different effects on some dogs, probably dogs who tend to be sensitive to small changes in insulin anyway.

We have seen enough reports of a difference that I recommend a small decrease in the insulin dose when switching from one to the other just to be safe. Could be in processing the insulins the two companies produce slightly different products.

AlphaTrak 2 is the meter for dogs and cats and it has a pretty good track record in terms of accuracy. It is, however, a lot more expensive to buy and use - both the meter and the test strips, with the test strips being the larger cost over the long run.

I had an AlphaTrak but 99% of the time I used my OneTouch Ultra, which was, for my dog, generally about 35-40 points lower than actual blood levels when compared with a lab analyzer. I think the OneTouch Ultra is the most reliable of the meters for people when using with a dog.

I also generally prefer the full size meters over the "micro" or "lite" meters. Since there is some difference between canine and human blood, it helps to have a really really accurate meter to minimize those differences.

My preference for a lancing device is Accuchek Softclix / Multiclix... may have some other names as well. You want to stay away from very fine lancets - 25 or 26 gauge lancets tend to most reliably produce a blood drop.

If you haven't already, you can see video and picture tutorials of places to test your dog's blood sugar at www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

Testing blood sugar at home is a great tool. Most of us found it much saner to manage our diabetic dogs when we could check the blood sugar, particularly for lows.

Natalie
Old 11-04-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
We have seen enough reports of a difference that I recommend a small decrease in the insulin dose when switching from one to the other just to be safe.

Natalie
Just picked up my first vial of Novolin and will probably get into it in about 2 weeks. I'll back him off a couple of units until we see what's happening with it.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Sounds like a good idea Bill.