Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > K9 Biographies / Stories

K9 Biographies / Stories A place for you to post your "story" about your dog, including details of diagnosis, treatment, and management of your dog's diabetes; other medical issues; diets; and any other history or information about your dog that you care to share.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Baxter's story

Hi, our sweet, smart (he understands French and English) loving 10 year old cockapoo Baxter was diagnosed a few weeks ago, we were sooo sad and devastated. We don't have human children, he is our child! We had never heard of canine diabetes, but the urination, lethargy, and water consumption make sense now..we just thought it was too hot out! He has slowly been upped in insulin Humulin N (8 units 2x/day) we do see some improvement in his spunk and energy. I am looking for some encouraging stories you all can share...I keep reading heartbreaking ones Please share your success stories..I need them!!

1. I wonder if anyone only has to inject once a day?

2. I'm wondering if any of you out there "vary" the diabetic diet? He is on chicken, brown rice and a small amount of WD canned food.We worry this finicky eater will tire of it.

3. Has anyone gotten vet approval to use "Petfresh select" chicken and brown rice..we read the ingredients and didn't see sugar or high carbs..we will ask our Vet, but wondering what everyone else has fed successfully.

4. Baxter misses his beggin strips, milkbones and beneful treats..so any treat recommendations would be welcome.

I'm so grateful in advance for your sharing ...Jen
Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Baxter's story

hi and welcome yes its not a diagnosis we like to here but they can live normal happy lives with some limitations

routine and structure is important food shots and exercise and this is not a problem for dogs they due enjoy structure and predictability and thats why they handle the disease so well

you may want to consider blood testing sugar at home my jesse wags her tail and gives me a kiss after each test and we do it quite a bit such a funny girl

testing well help you understand how insulin food and body are working together help to catch those times they run low and that is something eventually you will run into and help to keep your babys blood sugar in a better range and may give the opportunity to give some snacks my jesse actually gets a milkbone mid morning because her blood sugar tells us she needs it so with testing at home that will tell you what you can and cant do including snacks

very few dogs do well on one shot a day my jesse only gets one meal for specific reasons and she gets 3 shots a day and once again testing and the numbers will tell you what to do if you do decide lots of info on the site a yuotube videos on how to do

home is where we manage the disease with advice from a vet but make sure you are getting the correct advice dont take anything for granted and do your research
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Hi Jen,

I put a copy of your story in the main Diabetes Discussion area where more people will see it.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3850

Natalie
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockapoo Mom View Post
Hi, our sweet, smart (he understands French and English) loving 10 year old cockapoo Baxter was diagnosed a few weeks ago, we were sooo sad and devastated. We don't have human children, he is our child! We had never heard of canine diabetes, but the urination, lethargy, and water consumption make sense now..we just thought it was too hot out! He has slowly been upped in insulin Humulin N (8 units 2x/day) we do see some improvement in his spunk and energy. I am looking for some encouraging stories you all can share...I keep reading heartbreaking ones Please share your success stories..I need them!!

1. I wonder if anyone only has to inject once a day?

2. I'm wondering if any of you out there "vary" the diabetic diet? He is on chicken, brown rice and a small amount of WD canned food.We worry this finicky eater will tire of it.

3. Has anyone gotten vet approval to use "Petfresh select" chicken and brown rice..we read the ingredients and didn't see sugar or high carbs..we will ask our Vet, but wondering what everyone else has fed successfully.

4. Baxter misses his beggin strips, milkbones and beneful treats..so any treat recommendations would be welcome.

I'm so grateful in advance for your sharing ...Jen

Welcome Jen and Baxter...

We have alot of success stories, here. You will find that in alot of cases all of us have successfully worked through the diabetes, and accept what becomes 'normal'. We have some members that there dogs have been diabetic for many years, and when they have passed on, it is because of other ailments.

My initial vet subscribed one shot a day, but that was early on, and I think my Abby was producing some insulin on her own. In reviewing how long the insulin works, if Baxter is on NPH, and all dogs are different, it will fall short of 24 hours, as this is an intermediate lasting insulin.

Tiggy has a varied diet, and I believe Sandy's success with Tiggy has been to count calories. When making any food changes, it is good to keep the calories the same. There is a link that gives some guidance as to the weight of the dog and how many calories they should have.

http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm

We all feed such a array of different foods. Some are on raw, dehydrated, kibble, canned, along with some homecooked or raw vegetables. I am not aware of any that are feeding PetFresh Select, but perhaps someone may chime in if they have used it before, or currently.

Treats.... A few of us use Blue Buffalo Healthy bars.. but only a few varieties do not have any molasses in them... The Bacon and Cheddar one I know for sure, but there are two other varieties that do not. I also provide some freeze dried chicken liver, or homemade Chicken Jerky. I do also give on occassion dried Sweet Potatoes (but NEVER any bought in China). All of these I found not to make any impact to Blood Sugar.

Glad you could join the group. Alot of wonderful people here, with great suggestions.