Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lily - My English Setter - Diabetis and Hypothyroidism

Woohoo Lily!
    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

It's great to see how "feathery" she is getting!

Comment

I am just in awe of how pretty she is and so glad she is doing well! I think my best moment was when Maggie could actually see me for the first time after surgery. She got so excited and was wagging her tail and doing her happy dance. She had not adjusted to blindness at all.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Re: Lily - Cataract Surgery

she is a gorgeous girl and is progressing just like Forbes did! Congrats on being a wonderful nurse
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
            The eye vet is normally a half hour drive for us, but this morning it took us 1.5 hours to get there in a zero visibility lake effect snow storm.
            White knuckle driving...Glad you made it there safely and even better news on her recovery. Wishing you positive thoughts that it continues to go smoothly! Did she used to lay by heat sources before the thyroid meds?
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
              White knuckle driving...Glad you made it there safely and even better news on her recovery. Wishing you positive thoughts that it continues to go smoothly! Did she used to lay by heat sources before the thyroid meds?
              Holli,

Yes. When she was really sick, prior to us knowing that she was hypotyhroid, she was not very tolerant of cold. Sometimes she would come back in from the cold with her teeth actually chattering.

Right now I think she is enjoying being able to see things again thru the sliding doors. After a while she falls asleep. We have a lot of critters around here ... Squirrels, rabbits, deer, pheasants and even coyote packs howling at night!

Our next door neighbor got this shot of a flock of wild turkeys perched on our tiny crab apple tree ... Talk about dumb turkeys!

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 12:04 PM.
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I'm so glad her surgery went well! We have a lot of turkey farmers around here too. silly birds
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Oh, love the pic. Ali used to sit for hours watching the turkeys out back in Maine. Glad Lily can fall asleep! Ali used to be on alert the whole time sitting so still just willing the glass to melt away so she could run after them .
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Oh Gosh, I'm with Patty, Decker would have lost his mind with all that activity. Wonderful that Lily can see it all again and glad she can get some rest.

Our female cat is a bit senile and would be down in the lower level of the house and would sometimes 'cry out' in the middle of the night. Decker would hear her 'crying out' at times and would go into a full on howl. Nothing like be startled out of a sound sleep by a howling dog - we only heard the cat after he'd awakened us. I can't imagine what a pack of howling wolves would have done to him.
                    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

FreeStyle Lite Test Strips

I use the AlphaTrak2 meter for testing Lily's BG. Craig had posted that money could be saved by using Abbott's human FreeStyle Lite test strips.

So I ordered 100 of the FreeStyle Lite strips from Amazon.com for $56.42. This is about half the price of the AlphaTrak2 test strips. The strips actually shipped from diabeteshealthsupplies.com.

My current vial of AlphaTrak2 test strips is coded 5. With the AlphaTrak2 meter set to code 5 and using the AlphaTrak2 test solution, I got the following readings:

AlphaTrak2 strip = 157
                      FreeStyle Lite strip = 158

I know this is not a very scientific sample, but so far so good.

Thanks Craig!

Comment

Re: FreeStyle Lite Test Strips

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                        I use the AlphaTrak2 meter for testing Lily's BG. Craig had posted that money could be saved by using Abbott's human FreeStyle Lite test strips.

So I ordered 100 of the FreeStyle Lite strips from Amazon.com for $56.42. This is about half the price of the AlphaTrak2 test strips. The strips actually shipped from diabeteshealthsupplies.com.

My current vial of AlphaTrak2 test strips is coded 5. With the AlphaTrak2 meter set to code 5 and using the AlphaTrak2 test solution, I got the following readings:

AlphaTrak2 strip = 157
                        FreeStyle Lite strip = 158

I know this is not a very scientific sample, but so far so good.

Thanks Craig!
                        Looks great! I'd still "stock" a box of true AlphaTrak test strips and do the same type of test whenever you get a fresh box of FreeStyle Lite strips. We never know when Abbott might make a change to the strips that could throw this off.

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Photos

Added a few pictures to Lily's Photo Album.

You can ses them here http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/member.php?u=6354 or tap or click on her avatar.

She goes for her second cataract surgery followup visit on Thursday.

Comment

Great pictures! Hope all goes well with the follow up visit later this week. Hope Mother Nature is a bit more cooperative too.

Had to do a double take on all that green stuff - LOL! We are gearing up for one more storm predicted to hit tomorrow or Thursday. Hoping it will be the last and that maybe Spring is around the corner.

Comment

Re: Photos

she's just gorgeous
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Re: Photos

Tell me, how is she adapting to being able to see? I really wonder what goes through their minds!?
                                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X