Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skippy and the Nova Max Plus

Hi all,
    I'm starting this thread because I feel I can contribute a bit back. A bit of background on my dog Skippy. Diabetes and pancreatitis struck him at the same time leaving me to wonder which caused the other. A bad vet missed the diabetes leading to DKA, a return of pancreatitis, liver issues, and severe anemia/jaundice all within days of discharge. An emergency vet and bill breaking past 5 figures, home care, advice from a good vet and advice taken from a lot of threads on here seem to have gotten Skippy healthy again. The whole ordeal has taken three months but it was great last week when a blood panel was run and the good vet seemed astonished with the values for liver, pancreas and after a bit just said that all the values were like those of a far younger and non diabetic dog, though there was still a bit to go on the glucose level. Two weeks before the blood panel I received a free Nova Max Plus meter. The meter website states that there is no hemocrit interference with the meter which caught my attention. A week after that I received my Alphatrak meter. The two meters were in agreement within 10 points or less for values between 100-300+. I noticed deviation of 50ish on a bad day of glucose in the 400s, 440 Alphatrak and 490 Nova Max. At the vet glucose was measured to be 318 at the time of last week's blood panel, the Alphatrak had 310 and the Nova Max had 315. It appears to me that the Nova Max is likely as acccurate as the Alphatrak for a wide range. The Alphatrak with ZipWik Freestyle Lite Strips read 268 on code 7, it seems that the strip trick doesn't work, at least with the ZipWik. The one big advantage I see with the Nova Max is a box of 50 strips can be easily found to cost in the low 20s and lower, that and I find the Alphatrak a bit clunky to use. There are currently offers for a free Nova Max Plus Kit that has 10 strips and I figure some on here would like to give it a try, maybe even become an informal test group and report a comparison or two. Reviews on Amazon seem mostly positive. It took about three weeks to get my meter kit (Meter,10 Glu strips, 2 Ket. strips.,lancet pen with lancets, and insurance discount card)
    http://www.novacares.com/dconnect0711/
    http://www.novacares.com/DMINE0711/
    http://www.novacares.com/cwd/
    And sorry, I just noticed this turned into a giant text block. I'd like to thank the posters on here, your experiences and advice have helped this forum lurker and I'm sure many others greatly.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Re: Skippy and the Nova Max Plus

finding a meter that you can rely on and afford is so important

it seems like more vets are accepting home testing as a useful tool for there clients and for them

thanks for the info i will look into this meter i do have a collection of them
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks for the info! And I'm glad your dog is doing better!
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

that is really helpful info. I'm so glad your dog is doing better!

Maybe you, Craig & JesseGirl should have a run off on meters!
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks for posting. I found at my most recent vet visit that my alpha trak is off by 40 points with the new freestlye lite strips. I thought it was just my meter so it is interesting you found this also. I've been thinking of trying something new so your posting of an accurate free meter is perfect for me. Thanks a bunch! I'll be sure to post my findings after I do a few comparisons.
          Tricia and Lily
          Border Collie Mix, dob 12/23/04, dx 1/08, 50lbs, Humilin N- 6 units AM & 6.5 units PM. Diet: 1/2 can Merrick Cowboy Cookout and 1 cup CORE red. fat 2xday.

Comment

Good to hear Skippy is doing better! What a rocky start you both had.
            Thanks for posting the info. I hadn't heard of this meter before.
            I know you've been lurking a while but welcome to you!
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

WOW! Take a bow! you come on here, de-lurking with the most wonderful leads! Not to mention the very hairy story of Skippy's initial difficulties. SO glad you seem to be past those, and now have a good vet.

Sometimes I forget that I no longer have a diabetic dog, as my beloved Kumbi died (of cancer) well over a year ago now. So I had an instant impulse to acquire a Nova Max Plus meter!

Oops! I have such a tight budget with my new dog (rescue Havanese, Camellia) - that it would have stopped me from buying a meter I don't need; haha!

I'll watch with great interest, because I'm guessing a number of our members here will want to try the Nova Max Plus meter. Maybe Craig will be the first to go after it!

But most of all, I want to welcome you as a poster instead of lurker - to thank you for your story, and to wish you and Skippy the very, very best of everything.

Camellia agrees with me. So do Kwali and Kumbi, from the Bridge. They're watching everything, you know! (hehe)
              Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:32:39 (PST)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the information. I actually just sent off for one to do a little experimenting myself.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Well, I just sent for one as well. I think. Was rather odd after I hit the send button but we'll see if I get one.

Thank you for the info and congrats on getting your pup better! Takes a lot of work but they sure are worth it!
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes everybody. Most of the credit goes to Skippy, he has just had an amazing will to live.
                    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Comment

Rowlf and I thank you too. I went to the website and ordered the kit and got an email today saying it was being sent. I use an AlphaTrak but not as much as I should because of the price of the strips. Amazon has the Nova Max strips as low $17 for 50! Hope this works for us!
                      Rowlf - 13-yr-old 15-lb Bichon Frise diagnosed May 2009 - Relion (Humalin) NPH 4.5 units 2x daily - 1/2 cup Royal Canin 2x daily

Comment

Thank You i ordered one also. Glad Skippy is doing well.
                        I think its funny my husband goes by Skip so i call him Skippy all the time.
                        Carol Ü

Comment

I got my Nova Max today and experimented by doing tests with my other meters. The Nova Max test was 291, The Relion was 257 and the Alpha Trak was 210. My Alpha trak is very reliable with the vet's so I'm pretty sure that reading is correct. Don't think I'll be using the Nova Max meter for BG but I will use it for the ketones test. When I did the BG test on the Nova Max it said to check his ketones (which I would expect if he was actually 291) but when I checked his ketones with the meter it said they were LO which is normal.

If you send in your warranty card within a certain number of days they will send you a bonus gift of ketones testing strips. Good deal! Thanks for the info.

Comment

still waiting for ours the ketone testing is a nice addition

that was a higher reading compared to your relion which is close to that 30 points that i have seen with my relion and the same for the one touch ultra
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Scootersmom View Post
                              The Nova Max test was 291, The Relion was 257 and the Alpha Trak was 210. My Alpha trak is very reliable with the vet's so I'm pretty sure that reading is correct.
                              Isn't this interesting! I thought most human meters would read lower than the AlphaTrak, at least my testing showed that.
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X