Forgot sparky's insulin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot sparky's insulin

We just realized Sparky didn't get insulin at 8am. Checked BS - 645 at 1:13pm. Gave 3 1/2u out of 5.
    Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Re: Forgot sparky's insulin

It probably made sense to do that. But I now don't know how to handle the evening shot. I suppose you could give something like 4 units relatively safely at the normal time this evening - but - I tell ya, Carrol, with the possibility of overlap in the doses, I'd hope Patty or Natalie or Peggy would check in with suggestions!

That shot (late) was something like a bit over halfway between normal shot-times, right?
    Edit: make that a bit UNDER halfway.

I'll be watching. That is, after I take a long nap - just completely worn out!

Love and hugs,
    Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:25:50 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Thanks Carol,
      It was 5 hours past the usual time. I will check his BS in about another hour. I will then check FBS before he eats. Based on that number plus the amount he eats I think I could decide on how much to give.
      I tried to catch Natalie while she was online but my computer went down - darn cable company!
      Carrol
      Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

May 30
        FBS 7:00am 399
        7:30 Meal
        8:00 Insulin 4u
        9:00 389
        10:30 392
        11:30 542
        12:30 419
        2:30 426
        4:30 353
        6:30 357

I think I'd not only base his dose on what number he is but how far he's come down. If he's getting a pretty good drop, you may wind up with some overlap and want to cut back his next dose. As to how much, I don't know that I could say ahead of time. But since you've raised his dose now to 5u, you might want to cut back a unit if he's dropping rather sharply into the next shot time.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks, Patty! was hoping you would be here!!!

Comment

Carrol,
            You're an hour behind me. I'll try to be sure to check in just before 9pm my time and see how things are going if not before.
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks, Patty!

Comment

Sparky's BS registered "HI" on the Alphatrak. It is 4 hrs til next insulin is due. If he eats his full meal, I think i should give him his full dose of 5u.

Comment

FBS at 7pm was 364. Am going to give meal and if he eats whole thing will give 4u.

Comment

Sounds good to me, Carrol. Let us know how things go!

Sat, 4 Jun 2011 19:51:04 (PDT)
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

Carrol,
                      SO sorry. I had to run out (wasn't expecting to) and just got back. I think you made a good choice too. It's a bit of a guessing game as to how much overlap you may have so I think cutting back a bit since he has come down is a good idea.
                      Patty

Comment

BTW, what does HI mean on your alphatrak? The older models only went up to 500 if I remember right and the newer ones to 750 before registering HI. I may be off a bit but I know there's a difference. Was just trying to gauge how far he's come down in the last couple of hours.

Comment

Hi Patty!
                          Not really sure. I am not sure how high Alphatrak goes. I want to say 700 but will have to check. sparky has shown no signs of distress and ate all his dinner right up. Am still watching him.

Comment

Book says high is over 750. BUT when I went to test FBS at 7pm, The Alphatrak showed code 60 so I reset meter to 6 and got the 364. Sooo, I'm not sure that "HI" reading was right. He was acting too "good" to have a BS of over 750.

Comment

Ok, good to know. And glad you have the meter recoded for 6. Sounds like things are going well.

Comment

Working...
                              X