Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Sydney

It is amazing how we can be so affected by the lives and losses of our fellow members. I have thought of you all day Tami, as Sydney's leaving has brought back my own losses. On a car trip today time was spent in tears brought on by a ??? favorite grieving song....Basil is careful about what songs I listen to since my brother passed.

I wish our feeling grief for Sydney could lesson your sadness Tami. Until the sadness lightens know that we are standing right beside you too, just like the Sydney in the poem.

Tara
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Tami,
We kept a journal with smiley face, straight face or frown face to denote what the summary of each day had held for Sydney.
I'm so glad you kept this journal. Such a visual picture of her quality of life.

Before Erik got ready for work yesterday I said “I think we need to discuss Sydney” – he glanced into the living room at her and then went upstairs to shower to get ready for work. No conversation had.
I feel like I can relate to this in that we didn't want to have this conversation either until it was just unavoidable.

Monday evening we asked our dear friend Bryant if he could come over and take some family pictures of us. It was very nice.
Love this Tami. Those will be treasured.

When they arrived, after they were in the living room for a bit, Sydney started barking (she hasn’t barked in ages). I think she could smell them (she is deaf and mostly blind now). It was a gift to hear her voice one more time – and, Erik got it on video! Precious little things..

10 minutes later, the vet/assistant came back in and Sydney was resting comfortably – no pain. Erik smothered her and her hair was soaked by his tears (up until this point, I had only seen him shed a few tears (although I’m sure he cried in private) it was really me balling my eyes out – now it was his turn).
It's amazing how we seem to take turns in breaking down and finding strength to support the other.

My heart goes out to you. Wishing you vivid, beautiful dreams!
Patty
Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 AM

Tami
I was really sad to read about Sydney. If it is any comfort at all it really sounds as if you did everything you could to make it as easy on her as possible. In the end there isn't anything better that we can do for them, though it is so sad.
I hope in time your happy memories will resurface and you will remember all the many good times and not just the very last few days.
Antonia
Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

No words Tami; just a lot of tears. She will always be with you. I know Forby, Ali and all our other friends met her at the bridge.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Tami,

I am so sorry to hear about Sydney. I am not on the forum now. Peggy contacted me to tell me.

My heart goes out to you,Erik and you were very special dog parents. I know how much you will be hurting. I cried when I read your post. It brings back such painful thoughts of Lucy.

I know you will both have many lovely memories and these will sustain you over the next few months.

Please accept my condolences just to let you know you are in my thoughts.

Hugs

Margaret
Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Thank you all so much. Words really cannot express my appreciation of each and every one of you.

Times are tough - that is for sure - I know that with time, things will improve, I just need to be patient and accept that at random times - tears will pour...that I won't be able to think straight etc etc etc.

As you all know, the grief is indescribable. We know it was the right choice - there hasn't been a moment of doubt in our minds - we just miss her - plain and simple.

Did you know that Sydney was an agility rockstar when she was younger?

Also, she could clear a 4 ft fence in a single leap from a stand still.

She was a canine good citizen and certified therapy dog - our favorite place to visit was in upstate NY - the Sisters of St Francis Provincial House (where the retired nuns lived). THEY LOVED HER! When she was scheduled for a visit, they would put her name on the TV in their announcements "Sydney will be here this Saturday from 9-10am" etc. When we arrived one would squeal 'Sister Sydney is here, Sister Sydney is here!" and then the next nun would chime in with the same sentiments, along with a 'bless you sister sydney". Nuns that had alzheimers and hadn't had a decent conversation in ages would see Sydney and reflect back to when they had a dog when they were a child. It was amazing.

It's all about the hair.

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Founding Member

i love it sister sydney

she was truly a saint
Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Founding Member

the hair, the hat, your girls have style.

I didn't know Sydney was an agility dog. And I love hearing about Sister Sydney. She must've brought so much comfort to some very deserving people.

And I bet a lot of them were waiting to greet her in heaven.

we love Sydney stories because we loved Sydney.

how is Soaphie doing?

hugs, Judi
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Tami,
There is so much in your posts that strikes a chord with me - yet I am still at a loss of words...

I'm so happy you are able to come back and share some of her younger years - still keeping her alive in spirit. May she visit your dreams often.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:12 PM

No Tami I didn't know that.....

We get to meet each other's dogs usually later in life and we don't talk about the wild teenage years. The therapy dog stuff is really something to be proud of, for both of you.

I am glad that already these memories are there for you.

I want to start a memory wall for the people and animals I have lost. As much as I loved my shorthairs I know there are things I have forgotten about them.... I wouldn't have believed it could happen. Think about when I am 90. I want to remember the thump, thump, thump of Maggie's footsteps after her nails were cut because they were clicking on the floor. Or the way when you put something on her nose for her to toss and catch, how her eyes would cross as you slowly moved your hand away. The four short years with Ruby didn't produce as many memories, but I can still hear her little "HEY, where did you go!" bark, and remember watching and waiting for her little stubby tail to start wagging once she smelled me come into the house.

Now when I think of Sydney instead of Sharpei Fever I will instead think of Sister Sydney.

Tara