Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Thanks Laura and Cara. Yes, I have needed to care for him since he was around 2-3 with epilepsy but he really needed me even more with diabetes. It's really weird, I feel guilty not having to be home by 8pm to feed/needle him. I feel guilty for a whole host of things. I doted on him so much, as we all do.

It must be a relief for him, poor puppy. Each day I take as it comes, I usually shed a few tears (OK, lots!) But I still talk to him lots too, must sound like a crazy man. I used to tell him what the sky looked like when he was blind when we went for a drive or walk sometimes.

Its my first day back at work without him, all these firsts I am going through! I would rather be at home, but it's quiet there so probably not a good idea...
Anyhow, I'm rambling again!! Thanks for your thoughts. Geoff
Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Last edited by Geoff; 06-29-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Geoff - just had to let you know - one of the other members (thread title Stopping In To Say Hello) who recently lost her dog and I decided that Sparky, Bailey, and her dog Fred are all hanging out together right now. Sparky is teaching everyone agility, and Fred is teaching everyone how to open a door and get treats. The mental picture made me smile through my tears.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Cara, yes, I am on that thread now too. I think we have all become post maniacs over the past week or so! But yes, that is a lovely thought and beautiful mental image thank-you. He did love his treats.
Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I remember that guilty feeling Geoff...Definitely one day at a time.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Thanks Laura and Cara. Yes, I have needed to care for him since he was around 2-3 with epilepsy but he really needed me even more with diabetes. It's really weird, I feel guilty not having to be home by 8pm to feed/needle him. I feel guilty for a whole host of things. I doted on him so much, as we all do.

It must be a relief for him, poor puppy. Each day I take as it comes, I usually shed a few tears (OK, lots!) But I still talk to him lots too, must sound like a crazy man. I used to tell him what the sky looked like when he was blind when we went for a drive or walk sometimes.

Its my first day back at work without him, all these firsts I am going through! I would rather be at home, but it's quiet there so probably not a good idea...
Anyhow, I'm rambling again!! Thanks for your thoughts. Geoff
I think it is beautiful that you used to tell him how the sky looked. I'm sure he appreciated it.

And yes, one of the things I'm noticing is how very quiet it is without Sparky. I keep listening for the jingle of his little tags.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 PM

Yes, well he used to LOVE going for walks with me so I thought I could tell him when I could what the weather was like, I did that too on his last day when I took him to the vet. Yes the quietness is unnerving I must say. We will get another dog when we move to our new house in a few months. I don't think I can live with a dog in my life. It was 20 years since my last one, and she died very young (before she was 1 by a car.) I had an incredible bond with him, he would follow me everywhere. Anyhow...
Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

This site is like a journal Geoff for us all. Keep sharing
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 PM

Thanks Peggy. I got a call last night from the crematorium who advised that Bailey's ashed have been returned to him and he will drop them off tonight (1/7/2014) That made me sad. Still I know it's weird, I look forward to having him "home".
Old 06-30-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Thanks Peggy. I got a call last night from the crematorium who advised that Bailey's ashed have been returned to him and he will drop them off tonight (1/7/2014) That made me sad. Still I know it's weird, I look forward to having him "home".
I picked up Sparky's ashes today as well. While it hurt terribly, it was beautiful to bring him back home.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Ahh Cara. Yes its been a roller coaster ride of emotions, I am so, so grateful I can share this with someone who is going through the same thing. Hard as it is for all of us and so sad we "are" sharing this, it somehow eases the pain a little.
Hope you're OK