Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum
 

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Meggie1129 Meggie1129 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Default Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

I cannot believe I am asking this on an online forum, but I am hoping maybe I can get a little bit more perspective on what is best for my dog and not be clouded by my sadness.

My dog Dobler will be twelve next week and has been diabetic for slightly over two years. We have had a good amount of insulin adjustments, but he has been steady and in really great health for quite some time now, up until two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, he started occasionally vomiting his food over a period of a few days, becoming a little bit more picky. He went two days and was fine, then vomited again so we took him in to vet. They ran bloodwork which was okay, determined he had a UTI and bacterial infection, put him on a few different antibiotics. He was okay over the weekend until that Sunday night. We have a sitter come and feed him/give him his insulin shot if we are out so he stays regulated. We came home about two hours later, and he seemed okay until he basically crumbled in our basement and couldn't move. He had thrown up his food shortly after he received his shot and went into diabetic shock. He started having a seizure, we brought him to emergency vet while smearing corn syrup on his gums, etc. Another seizure in car, when we got to vet he was comatose.

We thought we were saying our goodbyes that night and told vet we did not want him to suffer, but he pulled through and by the next day we were able to bring him home. The only problem was he did not want to eat. We tried some of the canned food that the vets had given him (he is on special diabetic dry food), he ate that for one meal but then would only eat chicken breast. That lasted a few days, and he stopped eating all together for 36 hours.

We of course brought him back to the vet. Our concern is the insulin regulation if he cannot eat. They did an abdominal x-ray, could not find anything conclusive but the organs were slightly shifted so they suspect that there could be a mass there. We will not do anything more invasive or treatment wise for him, so we decided not to go ahead with an ultrasound to see if there was anything more inconclusive.

So basically, for the past week, we have just been feeding him whatever he will eat. Lots of ground beef. He actually gobbled up some ground beef and our leftover pasta the other day! He is on an appetite inducer for a week, which we just finished yesterday.

The vet has been okay with us just feeding him to get him to eat, he had lost almost ten pounds and still needs his insulin. We have tried incorporating canned food, his dry, other dry, etc. with not much success. He seemed to be doing okay though, so she said to wait until he finished the appetite pills and then we would re-evaluate.

Well, he threw up on Wednesday night, but definitely still continued to eat his food. The past three mornings he threw up again, and will not eat much of anything. I guess I just do not know when is the time to let him go. I don't want him to suffer, but for now he is still walking around, snuggling, etc. He is definitely laying around a lot more but that is also a side effect of the medicine (which he is done with). I would go ahead and pay anything, but I want him to have a good quality of life. But if there is still some life left in him, I don't want to let him go yet, know what I mean? We made an appt for tomorrow to bring him in, and decided to celebrate his birthday early today. He ate a few pieces of bacon and we took him to the woods with our other dog and kids this morning and he ran and played like a puppy. You wouldn't have known anything was wrong with him.

But then I have to remember that he has been vomiting since Wednesday again and hardly eating for weeks. I don't want to prolong his life selfishly, but I also don't want to potentially keep him alive and have him start seizing, everything failing, and have him truly suffering.

My husband is wonderful and is supportive of doing whatever we can for him so long as his quality of life is good or it will actually make a difference. After $2000 the past few weeks, he didn't want to shell out another $500 for the ultrasound if it wouldn't affect our treatment of him.

Man. . . .My mind is just everywhere right now. I thought we were saying goodbye to him twice the past few weeks already and thought I was ready, and I have been so thankful for this extra time with him, but I just don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM
farrwf's Avatar
farrwf farrwf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cordova, TN
Posts: 2,397
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

Has he completed the antibiotic regimen? What's the status of his UTI?
__________________
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Ricksma's Avatar
Ricksma Ricksma is offline
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jasper, Alabama
Posts: 223
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

This is so heartbreaking for you. My heart goes out to you, I know exactly how you feel. We try so hard to make their lives better, and when things start to go sideways, we search our hearts for the right answer, when really there isn't one. You have to do what you think is best, and this is how I feel about this horrible situation....when I have to make this horrible decision, I would rather be a week early than 1 minute too late. Do what your heart says...it will not steer you wrong. I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier today. I know you are suffering. Hugs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 PM
jesse girl's Avatar
jesse girl jesse girl is online now
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,341
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

pancreatitis comes to mind. my jesse almost passed from it .

now its possible the antibiotics can make it worst if that is also contributing to stomach upset .

your pup still wants to eat thats a good sign . how are the stools
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Ricksma's Avatar
Ricksma Ricksma is offline
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jasper, Alabama
Posts: 223
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

How is he acting? Is he behaving as though his abdomen is hurting? Is it just loss of appetite, or is something else going on?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Judi's Avatar
Judi Judi is offline
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 5,278
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

I'm so sorry. If the vet thinks the throwing up is from a mass I'd be thinking what you are thinking. Like Jessegirl suggests though, make sure they ruled out pancreatitis. My Jenny vomited when she had that and didn't want to eat or drink.

We do all understand and feel for you. Whatever you do you are doing from love and your dog knows that. hugs
__________________
Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
sibhus sibhus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 35
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

really sorry to hear what your going through. I actually went through something similar before my dog was diagnosed with diabetes as pancreatitis is common with this ailment.

It is very hard to see pancreatitis on bloodwork unless they run a special panel, usually ultrasounds will reveal it. My only recommendation would be to see if you can get your dog on SQ or IV fluids for 2 days to see if his pancreas heals and can eat again, as this was the case with my dog.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
sherryandfred's Avatar
sherryandfred sherryandfred is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: revere mass
Posts: 461
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

I just put my Fred down and he was much sicker I want to think there is something going on like maybe the meds making him sick because he wasn't eating enough? Or the UTI or pancreatitis that would for sure make them sick? How is his stool? My Fred would give me such a heard time to eat if he got sick...only you can make that choice if it's time and trust me you will know....I do hope it's just him sick with belly problems and he comes out of it...please keep us posted...best of luck we are praying for you...
__________________
sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
k9diabetes's Avatar
k9diabetes k9diabetes is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 11,279
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

While you may wind up choosing not to treat whatever is found, the ultrasound would help you answer your question. In your place, I would have the ultrasound done as soon as possible. There is a big difference between, say, bad colitis and a very large and obviously painful tumor. It would affect my decision.

I am sorry you are in this place with him...

Natalie
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 PM
amydunn19's Avatar
amydunn19 amydunn19 is offline
Senior Member and Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 4,616
Default Re: Please help me, is it time to put my beloved dog to rest?

It does sound like pancreatitis to me, too. If they go back to "real" food too fast, they will be sick. Did the vet test for pancreatitis? You might get that test done because he may be in pain from it as well. When Maggie had it in the past, I would have sworn she was near death or giving up because it is painful. But after recovery, she had a lot more life in her.
__________________
Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Disclaimer -- The content on this site is provided for informational and educational purposes only. While we make every effort to present information that is accurate and reliable, the views expressed here are not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by a licensed veterinarian. Please consult with your veterinarian for specific advice concerning the medical condition or treatment of your pet and before administering any medication or pursuing any course of treatment that you may read about on this site.

The views and opinions expressed by contributors to this forum are strictly their own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and views of the owners, administrators, or moderators of this forum and the k9diabetes.com website.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009, 2010 k9diabetes.com. All rights reserved.