Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Introducing Maggie

Elavil?? I had no idea that was used in dogs - I took it once when I hurt my back because I couldn't sleep. I had the worst nightmares but it did work. Interesting...I will check that out.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
      Elavil?? I had no idea that was used in dogs - I took it once when I hurt my back because I couldn't sleep. I had the worst nightmares but it did work. Interesting...I will check that out.
      Amytiptyline...not sure what Elavil is...
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

It is the brand name I think - if it is the same drug. I think it is because I googled it and sure enough, there were articles about using it in dogs. I will check into it.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hope Maggie is feeling better. Love her Santa picture!
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Maggie didn't bounce back from her last UTI and it didn't seem to improve so i took her back to the vet yesterday. They are culturing the sample to see if it is antibiotic resistant. Of course, my vet said if it doesn't grow bacteria, maybe she just needs a longer course of antibiotics. She was on the last one 14 days.

Ugh...

Comment

double ugh. I remember Patty's Ali had stubborn uti's as well. Do you remember what drugs she took?

poor Maggie
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hope they are able to get to the bottom of things. Feel better pretty Maggie!
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Here's a big warm

Get Well Soon

From me and Bazzle dog. Do you give Maggie d'mannose to help with her uti's? I remember reading that somewhere on another post. If you do, does it affect her bg levels at all? Just curious.
                  Anyway, I sure hope everything turns out ok with Maggie

Edit:
                  Guess what just came up on a google search
                  http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65784
                  Sorry, I suppose there's a high possibility you and Maggie already know all about that. Either way, we're here for you good luck.
                  Last edited by Auddog; 01-08-2014, 08:21 PM.
                  Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Hope that Maggie feels better soon.

Jake
                    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                      Maggie didn't bounce back from her last UTI and it didn't seem to improve so i took her back to the vet yesterday. They are culturing the sample to see if it is antibiotic resistant. Of course, my vet said if it doesn't grow bacteria, maybe she just needs a longer course of antibiotics. She was on the last one 14 days.

Ugh...

Amy... hoping for the best. Clavamox was a antibodic that was prescribed for UTI's, but once when Abby had a UTI, it had some staph, they thought Baytril may be another antibodic that could be used to kill it. Luckily, the Clavamox helped, and at least for Abby, did not impact her blood sugar at all.

Hoping she feels better soon.

Barb
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I have been using the d mannose powder when I have been able to get it. The only place that has the particular brand I want is across town and it seems to work but I ran out for a little while and that is when she developed the one she got a couple of months ago. I don't think she ever really got over it which probably led to this last one and after 14 days of antibiotics, it doesn't seem to be gone. Her sugar has been fine, just she seems to need to go out a whole lot and she will keep trying to go even after she has gone a couple of times. Very odd for her......

Still waiting to hear how the culture turned out.

Comment

Bazz and I will keep our fingers (and paws) crossed that the culture will give you some answers.
                          Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

The vet started her on Clavamox twice a day - according to him, this should work on the latest UTI. I hate she is going through this but I think she might already be feeling better after a couple of days of clavamox.

Maggie has never had a ton of UTI problems until the past three months or so. It is always something.

Comment

Glad Maggie is starting to feel better.

Jake
                              13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                              At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Glad the Clavamox seems to be helping!
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X