Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Frustrated with food spikes

Jesses NPH insulin begins 1.5 hours after giving shot . The spikes can be frustrating . I have used r and novolog for jesse to resist the spike but what happens it just occurs at another time of the day . So her general levels remain the same and all it may do is change the shape of the curve . Also like you i worry about giving it to prevent a spike because at times she doesnt have them

Now i may use the fast acting insulin's to correct higher sugar but it never worked as scooters mom sugested and stabilized the curve . May work for one dog and not another

Yes you can use r insulin with levemir the only thing i am not sure of is mixing the 2 shots together and may have to give separate shots

I do think your thought process is good and taking things one step at a time
Remember for many dogs the need for very good sugar may not be that important jesse is proof of that . Tight control also has its risks being closer to low blood sugar
Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 AM

Thanks everyone! It is really helpful sometimes just talking things through.
Jesse girl, I would have to give R as a separate shot. It should not be mixed with Levemir in a single syringe.
I just don’t know that I would ever be comfortable giving her R when she has a fasting BG under 200 (which is normal for her). I give her her full dose of levemir without waiting if she’s 150 or higher (even though I know it’s recommended that you wait and retest to make sure they hit 200 after eating). But for now I wouldn’t be comfortable giving R and levemir with a fasting BG in the 200 ballpark... even knowing how much she typically spikes after a meal.

Last edited by Lolo; 06-18-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 AM

What is her nadir numbers? Even tho she spikes after eating, as most do, does she come down to a much lower number after the spike? Does the spike last that long?
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM

The spike does last pretty long because Levemir is super gradual. Itís so different than my experience with NPH or 70/30. Those dropped her fast, but also raised her fast. She could move 200 pts within 2 hrs on NPH. With levemir sheíll move maybe 50 pts over 2 hrs when it starts to kick in... but that means when she has a food spike that pushes her to 400 it can take 4-5 hours (after a dose) to get below 300. Sheíll drop abt 50 pts every 2 hrs til she hits 150-220ish on average and then pretty much stays there with minimal movements until the next dose.
Her lowest reading is usually either at fasting or the 10 hour mark. Even though I hate the delayed action and resulting spike I know the more gradual movement of numbers is so much healthier for her. But I also can tell that that spike after eating doesnít feel good to her.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:44 PM

So I decided to give up for now on trying to find a food that didn’t spike her so much and finally got up the nerve to use R. We’ve used it before when she was on NPH and it was in the 70/30 blend she was on for over a month. It dropped her super fast in the 70/30 so I decided to start really easy with just 1u and I think this may be what we needed. I really just want the R to combat/level the spike and make the duration shorter. I don’t want to use so much that it drops her too rapidly. I’d rather she run a little higher for longer than risk her going hypo when I’m not home.
Here are the numbers from yesterday. I wasn’t home all day so missed some readings, but made sure to be home when I thought she could go low. My focus yesterday was taking a lot of readings just to monitor food spike and duration and drop of R. I’m pretty happy with it. I’ll keep it like this for the week unless I get any low numbers. Her lowest numbers are usually fasting or at 10 hr mark.
Dose: 3.25u Levemir, 1u Novolin R

6:08 237
Feed/insulin 6:15-6:20
7:30 338 food spike
8:16 306
9:14 273
10:13 281
11:34 289
2:45 177
6:07 160
Feed/insulin 6:13-6:18
6:46 206
7:15 239
8:18 233

Today
6:07 245
Feed/insulin 6:14-6:20
8:30 223
10:21 236
12:24 198
Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Founding Member

looks positive but you wont really know until doing a couple complete curves
Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Very nice
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 AM

Looking good!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo View Post
So I decided to give up for now on trying to find a food that didnít spike her so much and finally got up the nerve to use R....I really just want the R to combat/level the spike and make the duration shorter....Iíll keep it like this for the week unless I get any low numbers
The issue of low BG numbers seems to be a bit overblown. I'm sure this can be specific to each pet and some may react differently but if normal BG is 80 to 120 getting close to that by way of insulin should be acceptable.

Scooter's nadir often gets to 80 or below with no obvious negative effects. He has never gone "clinical" as his internist calls it.

Glad to see you opted for using Nonolin R. As I suggested, it is an accepted way to get a handle on BG levels when all else fails.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM

Nutro Weight Management is very good, lots of fiber and low calories. Controlled my dog well for years. Currently a little concerned about weight drop but that may be due to age as much as anything else, trying to add additional calories now is a pain.