Serena is doing fine , so glad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

Thanks Pat I been looking as well , well Chemist gave me phone number of company Eli Lilly who makes this in Australia and that is where Chemist orders his
    so i can ring maybe i can get it form them .
    Once I done all the checking i will talk to vet about changing here
    I so thankful i found this site and I just want to say Thanks for everyone helping out on info
    Helga

Comment

Humulin N or NPH is the same thing. I paid about $25-30 several years ago so the price is still good and it will last more than twice as long.

I used to get a script from the vet and take it to my local chemist and get it from there. They were a Diabetes Australia Distributor so it was always on hand. I believe some chemists might have to order it in so you would need to make sure you always had enough on hand.

Jenny

Comment

Hi Somhelga,

Marvelous! That's exactly the insulin you want - Humulin-NPH! So glad you can get it for $30 a vial! (Thanks, Pat, for passing on that information.)

Can you find the syringes you'll need? U-100 syringes - generally, that is what a chemist will sell; they don't sell Caninsulin syringes (U-40) in Canada nor the U.S. - those, people here have to buy from vets.

So you're on the way!

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 02:06:07 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Thanks Jenny well all I need know to convince vet to change

yes Carol the syringes they sell where my son works but I thought they bit expensive there 50 for $ 46 and that is whole sale
          I think Jenny send me a link where she ordered them from so will ring there

It pays to shop around

Serena done well today not very low but best was BG 9.4 .
          I don't think I mentioned that she is on heat right know , what puts Sugar levels out as well .
          I had her never de-sexed due to here weight problem . was really bad luck she got on heat about same time as treatment started
          But for that she is holding well, she is so much brighter and I sometimes worry , hardly see her drink anymore
          know finding cheaper ways to help here will mkae it easier on my budget

Comment

Hi Helga,

I just read about Serena not being desexed. Every time she comes into heat her hormones are racing around messing with her blood glucose. Sometimes getting a dog desexed will resolve the diabetes. Either way I think you are going to have to seriously think about getting Serena desexed to get her regulated or maybe if you are lucky stop her being diabetic.

Hopefully someone who can explain this better than I will also respond.

Jenny

Comment

Hi Helga,

Jenny is so right - the first priority is to have Serena spayed. It's pretty well impossible to control blood glucose in an un-spayed female. Better talk to your vet, then!

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 05:16:40 (PDT)
              CarolW

Comment

Hi Helga,
                So glad you mentioned Serena not being desexed. That info is a very important part in managing her diabetes. Sometimes we forget to ask if a dog is spayed or not.

It is possible for a dog to be diabetic while in heat but once desexed, the diabetes goes away. It doesn't always happen that way but it is possible. You also likely won't find her to be stable while in heat as her hormones are fluctuating so testing will be very important.

We had another member here who went through this last year and once spayed, Gypsy was no longer a diabetic: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...t=1667&page=14

Patty
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Great to know. I learned something new to day.

Pat

Comment

wow that is interresting the vet wanted her spayed but she said she was to sick right know , then she came on heat .
                    So once she is better we will get it done
                    That is a great peace of Info Thanks

Comment

If you are unable to get her stable enough to spay (and you almost certainly won't get anything like stability/regulation until this heat is over) there is one other option available here in Australia and that is the new(ish) drug, Suprelorin. Here's a link to some info: http://www.peptech.com/HTML/Animal_H...orin_Uses.html

If you were to get the implant now it could possibly shorten this current heat (stop ovulation), which would certainly be a plus. It is used (off label) in cockatiel hens who are laying eggs and it certainly switches their egg production off very promptly once they get the implant put in.

It lasts about six months which should give you some breathing space re getting her stable enough to spay.

Alison

Comment

HI Alison thanks for that link the vet talked to me about it when we realized she is on heat .
                        After checking it out the vet said it is not good for Serena when on insulin it makes the insulin play up .
                        So I better of to get it over she is about half way through. her BG was really good last 3 day between 6 to 8 in morning after feed about 15 and then her best around 2 pm down to 6.1
                        So maybe it does not affect her to much being on heat

I think i also learning what foods affect here and I'm avoiding them
                        Thnaks for all the good advice and help

Comment

Helga - please keep us posted! Rooting for you and Serena!

Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:19:18 (PDT)
                          CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by somhelga View Post
                            HI Alison thanks for that link the vet talked to me about it when we realized she is on heat .
                            After checking it out the vet said it is not good for Serena when on insulin it makes the insulin play up .
                            Was it definitely Supralorin that your vet looked into or the older drug Ovarid? Ovarid (which is a progesterone-like steroid) would certainly mess with BG but I would be surprised if Supralorin would - except in so far as once the heat subsides (whether naturally or not) her response to insulin will almost certainly change (probably need less and maybe - just maybe - none at all.)

Alison

Comment

Alison not sure what she checked into , my aks but Serena is soon done anywhey so want worry this time and by next time we hope it be all ok

Would be nice is she is well again but here problems started a few weeks before she came on heat so I don't expect chnages but even less Insulin be great . will keep u all posted , BG been pretty good was down to 7.1 this morning
                              Helga

Comment

Serena is doing fine , so glad

Well we seem to have settled in out routine , she is still on heat so one day BG is perfect next up . i guess not much we can do .
                                The Vet agreed to change her over to Humulin NPH so that will work out cheaper for us , I just hope she does well on it .
                                She is nearly here old self , nice to see her better. I asked her about the BG meter as well and they use a human one as well so she said mine is fine.
                                So our results should be pretty even
                                My poor son had to give her needle in teh morning last 2 days and wouldn't you knwo it she wouldn't eat for him. he rang me up all panicking, i cant make her eat so I cant give her needle .
                                I tolled him to slow down and try bit later ....no no she dye .....well I talked to vet about it and she explained to me what to do then so I think next time he want worry so much .
                                Trouble is in about 2 months I have to go away to visit my parents in Austria they having there Diamond anniversary and Dad send me ticket ( they 81 thsi year and not well) so have to go .
                                My son will take care off the dogs, so he better get used to it , he is ok giving needles but i still worry .

So I hope once she is off heat our BG is settling down more .
                                Thanks to everyone for all the good advice
                                Helga

Comment

Working...
                                X