Diabetic dog, prone to UTI's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic dog, prone to UTI's

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I am looking for any feedback and or suggestions.

Our dog Nala is a 8 year old mixed breed. She was diagnosed with diabetes in August 2014, taking 8 units of caninsulin twice daily. We have not been able to get her sugars regulated since the diagnosis, as she always seems to have a UTI throwing her sugars out of whack. She had bladder stones removed in 2012 and since then she is prone to UTI's.

Within the last 5 months we have seen weeks of great improvement and then other weeks where she is doing terrible, resulting in weekly vet visits for glucose readings, new antibiotics, etc. Since the beginning of the new year she has gone completely blind and have been on 2 weeks of antibiotics.

Are there any other dogs going through this type if scenario? We are desperately looking for some solutions/support to help us get through this never ending cycle.

Thanks, Sara

Re: Diabetic dog, prone to UTI's

Welcome to the forum.
    Diabetes and infections, like UTI, can form a vicious cycle. Higher blood glucose gives "bugs" plenty of food, and the urinary tract is just about the perfect (warm, moist) breeding ground .

What sort of BG numbers are you seeing? I don't know, but I'm guessing if you are seeing numbers frequently above 20 mmol that will make the urinary tract ripe for infection.

There are supplements that may help, but good BG is probably the goal.

Tell us about your pup. Weight, what are you feeding, are you home blood testing? Anything you can share with us.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi and welcome to you and Nala ! Maggie went through a period of UTI's and antibiotics then antibiotic resistant bacteria and she has pretty good blood sugar control most of the time. We test blood sugar at home - this is very helpful. Getting better blood sugar consistently will be your best weapon. Normally, I am not big on supplements but one big exception is DMannose powder. I sprinkle it on her food twice a day and when I am consistent and don't get lazy and run out of it, she has stayed pretty clean. Knock on wood, of course, when I brag on her, she will have a UTI tomorrow. It doesn't seem to affect her blood sugar.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Welcome Sarah and Nala

has Nala been spayed?

how much does she weigh?

glad you found us

mo
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Ok, this is great here's a little more info about our Nala.
          She weighs 23lbs
          She is spayed
          This weeks bg reading was 34mmol, her normal (when under control 12-14)
          Currently she is eating beneful

Right now we are at the vet weekly for the bg reading, we will be purchasing our own glucometer as seeing the vet weekly is costly. Where do you purchase your glucometer???

We have not started to supplement with herbal medicine because bg is our first goal. However, we have purchased a tablet called "bladder care" which contains cranberry and d-mannose. We have heard many people speak of the d-mannose, apple cider vinegar, cranberry and other supplements.

Comment

I forgot to mention that she gets 1/2 cup of her food per meal.

Comment

I'm not sure where you are. I'm in the UK and basically get it all from Amazon.

A lot of people on here find the One Touch Ultra meter is a good one with testing strips readily available online. Ours was compared to the vet's blood analyser and found to be very close in accuracy.

If you're in the UK you can get a nice kit from Amazon with a meter, test strips, a lancing device and lancets for around £45. It saves a huge amount on vet bills.

There are some very helpful videos on here giving guidance on how to set about testing and people on here can help with any specific queries.

Antonia
              Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I've also used the Now Foods brand of D Mannose powder for my dog. She has a tumor in her bladder and got several UTIs in a row. Since I've been using the D Mannose twice a day, she hasn't had any more UTIs. I also give her NaturVet's Cranberry Relief twice a week, and she gets Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes & Probiotics twice a day as well. My vet also recommended when she had her last UTI to start wiping Piper's vaginal area with baby wipes to help clean off any bacteria. I have continued doing that twice a day.
                Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Just a heads up. The Beneful dog food contains sugar which might be a reason you havent been able to regulate the blood sugar.

We fed it and changed foods when Riliey was diagnosed.
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                  X