Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Bubbles in syringe question

Thank you Craig, I'll try Facebook. I would like to be able to use the Relion syringes because they work well and are so much less expensive, but Gretel for sure notices the difference in the gauge - she tries to pull away from the needle. You wouldn't think there'd be that much difference between 29 and 30 gauge but I guess when you're being stuck twice a day for several years it's easy to pick up on that.

Carolyn
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 AM

Pam's post below solved our bubbles. I didn't have issues because most of the time with the ReliOn syringe I can easily unstick them. When I inject the air in the bottle right side up, like Pam suggested, I am not getting any bubbles at all that way. Is there any down side to doing this?

This what I do. Open syringe, push out the tiny bit of air that is always in syringe. Draw in 10 units of air. roll insulin to mix. Put insulin on counter, insert syringe (bottle is setting on counter right side up of course) and push in 10 units of air. Turn bottle upside down (needle is still in bottle). Tap side of bottle and draw in 10 units of insulin.

I've done this 2x per day since Pam suggested it below and I have not had a single bubble to tap out. So far its great!

Susan
Old 04-07-2013, 06:45 AM

So glad that helped!!! I can't imagine any issues with that, but let's sit back and wait to see! I've been doing it for years on the advice of a nurse friend.

Pam
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGram View Post
Thank you Craig, I'll try Facebook. I would like to be able to use the Relion syringes because they work well and are so much less expensive, but Gretel for sure notices the difference in the gauge - she tries to pull away from the needle. You wouldn't think there'd be that much difference between 29 and 30 gauge but I guess when you're being stuck twice a day for several years it's easy to pick up on that.

Carolyn
Carolyn,
Even if your Walmart pharmacy doesn't stock what you want, they can order it if you ask and usually have it in the next day.
Patty