Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Dog just diagnosed with diabetes and I am afraid!

From one rat lover to another
Ed my Rattie and I are newbies and we are cheering you on. You will be okay
Welcome Jj

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Dog just diagnosed with diabetes and I am afraid!

Hello and welcome to you and Hattie! Repeating what others have already mentioned -you have come to the right place for advice and support. We all started out feeling scared and overwhelmed, but things will get better as you get answers to your questions and learn just what you need to do and how to do it.

I, too, would suggest that you write down any questions you can think of to ask the vet on Monday, and remember - there is no such thing as a dumb question. My vet has always been very informative right from the beginning in showing me how to give the injection, how to store the insulin, what to feed and not feed Gretel and when, among other things. If your vet isn't as forthcoming with all the information you need, it will be all the more important for you to ask questions. Being new to this, you may not at this point even know what questions to ask, but the experienced folks here on this forum can help you to know what questions need to be asked.

I am certainly no expert - still learning , although it's been a yr. and a half since Gretel was diagnosed, but I notice you said you'd been free feeding Hattie - leaving dry food out all day. I believe that you'll need to stop doing that as it will be too hard to get her regulated since you won't have any idea how much she ate and when she ate it. Her blood glucose would be all over the place without any control of her eating. But this is something else you want to talk to your vet about.

Good luck to you and Hattie. I'll be watching to see how you're getting along. Just keep visiting the forum and you'll get all the support you need.

Carolyn
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 AM

Question Help!..Hattie got shot at 7 and is now acting strange!

I gave Hattie a shot at 7 .. fed her first and now it is 9:30 and she is panting and her nose is warm and she is drinking alot of water.. just isn't acting right.. doesn't even want her chew toy..WHAT SHOULD I DO????????
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Help!..Hattie got shot at 7 and is now acting strange!

Hi and welcome to you and Hattie!!

First of all try to stay calm, I KNOW it's hard with all the changes!!
Watch her closely, if she's drinking that much water, she might very well throw up her meal. Mind you I'm by NO means an expert....My Tiggy was just diagnosed in Feb., but I have been one of the very lucky ones that the transition to this new lifestyle has been fairly easy compared to others.

What did you feed her this morning, and how much insulin did she get?

Do you have an emergency vet? You might want to give them a call or even take her in if she seems she in real distress.

Others MUCH more experienced will be on the board this morning I'm sure so try to hang in there and just try to comfort her, believe me this will all get easier.

Sandy
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 AM

I gave her 10units of insulin..She is panting and restless.....The Vet I am taking her to does not do emergency calls.. I am going to another Vet on Friday that does take them.....I don't know if I should give her something sweet?????She just started on the insulin on Thursday.. all was well until this morning..Gave her white meat chicken,small bit of yogurt, half a bottle of beef baby food and some cheese....Maybe I did something wrong!!!This is horrible......
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 AM

I just came online and saw your post. How are things going right now? It is hard to know for sure if she is too high or too low, but my guess would be too low since 10 units starting point for a small dog is alot. Do you have a meter and could you do a quick check? If not, you may need to run her to an emergency facility to see what her blood sugar is at.

I'll stay online for a while if you want to ask some questions..

And, you did nothing wrong!! Don't blame yourself. You are doing everything you can to protect your furbaby. You wouldn't be here (on this board) if you weren't.

Last edited by LilyBell; 04-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM

No don't give her anything else to eat. You haven't done anything wrong as long as you've been consistant with the amount you are feeding her. If she's had the exact same foods and amout since you began this on thursday. If her BG was low, she wouldn't be drinking all the water and she would be more on the listless side. If anything she's probably running high (and I know it sounds strange but that's the lesser of two evils) Her insulin is taking awhile to kick in....My tiggy doesn't go down immediatly, usually takes a couple of hours with the Humilin....it's slow acting so it may take a couple of hours. That's one of the BIG reasons everyone here is so proactive about home testing....brings peace of mind and some viable answers to why our furbabies are acting the way they do

This may not even be related to her diabetes, so that's another factor to consider Even before her diagnosis, tiggy would have those warm shaking, panting episodes...vet could never figure out what was wrong with her, even thought we would get her in when it was occuring!

Most emergency vets are just that...emergency! You can generally call any of them that has emergency hours and get your baby in.

Hopefully she will calm down shortly, but if she doesn't, I'd place that call!!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 AM

She weighs 30 pounds.....so she is kind of heavy...She is breathing faster then usual..I don't have a meter yet...I am going to get one...I don't know if I should feed her tonight?????Why did the vet talk about karo syrup???I don't know much about this disease is this makes it scary....I am watching her like a hawk.....I fed her maybe too much at 7....she was doing good the last 3 days.. so something is wrong..Have to bring her in tomorrow at 8.. hope this episode passes...Never had a dog with this.. I have had over 17 dogs in my life,,, all lived to be old....she is only 6.. this is heartbreaking...thank you for all your help.. I am trying to stay positive..Just wish she would take a nap.....the breathing is just bothering me....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM

The Kayro syrup the vet mentioned is for VERY LOW BG. If she was unusually listless and sleepy then that's the time you would rub the kayro on her gums so that the sugar would get into her system immediatly and perk her up.

Does she seem to be getting ANY better?? Keep calm, and keep us posted

Sandy
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Yes, I agree the syrup is for lows to bring her sugar up. The only problem is that when Lily has had lows over our three years of dealing with this it has been hard to tell by the symptoms if she was dealing with a high or low. She has had excess panting, not wanting to play, during a low. She has had those symptoms during a high also.

Is there any way you can get her bg checked? Can you call an emergency vet and see what they would charge to do a quick bg check? I really feel it would be worth the time to find out what you are dealing with here if she is really out of sorts.