Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Diabetes and Regulation in General

Diabetes and Regulation in General The big picture of managing and regulating a dog's diabetes

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Hero - Juvenile diabetic now thriving at 2 years old

Natalie,
I lost your last message but I am interested in hearing how you think I should inject 3 times daily. I have a hard time with this forum. Maybe my AOL doesnt like working with it. Hope this comes through. I will try to pose my original dilemna again.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Hi Lisa,

I sent my email to you again. Here's the main part of what it contained... I don't recall mentioning shots three times a day recently but maybe that was in this thread as I haven't had a chance to read it again. I've got to run right now but will try to get back to this later today.

Email Text:

I saw your posts about the trouble youíre having with Hero. I think itís a combination of all of the inflammation from the dog attack, the antibiotics, and the food change combined thatís requiring more insulin.

I would increase his insulin based on the curve you posted Ė itís reasonably flat so no reason you canít go up. I think you will just have to keep a close watch on his blood sugar until heís healed and the antibiotics are out of his system. For some dogs the antibiotics alone raise the blood sugar quite a bit.

Once thatís out of the way, you will have to see what the new food requires. Changing diets can make a huge difference in the shape of the curve and in how much insulin is needed.

You are my Hero for doing all that you have done with your Hero Ė very inspiring for other people dealing with baby diabetics.

That must have been really scary when the other dogs went after Hero Ė was he seizing? I wondered if they might respond to that as something ďwrongĒ and attack.

As far as his regulation goes, sometimes itís hard when you have had really good regulation for a long time and something changes. It kinds of throws you for a loop and shakes your confidence. It looks to me like youíve gotten him pretty well stabilized despite a whole lot of factors beyond your control.

Natalie
Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Talking Re: Hero - Juvenile diabetic now thriving at 2 years old

Lisa,

Sounds as though you've been through a lot with Hero, and are coming out on the other side!

I'll be watching with interest, and cheering you on.

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:52:24 (PST)
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I see there are some issues with AOL and vBulletin, the software that runs this forum. Not sure what problems you are having but according to one page I saw, just clicking the "Remember Me?" box when you login will fix a lot of it.

Quote:
AOL users should be able to login without any problems if they click "remember me". The AOL browser uses cache servers and the browser's IP changes on each page view which causes problems with session validation.
Looks like you might have to allow Cookies also.

Quote:
[If they are still having problems] Then they are either not using the 'Remember me' [or] they are blocking cookies. Those are the only possibilities.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archi.../t-157375.html
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Arrow Re: Hero - Juvenile diabetic now thriving at 2 years old

About cookies - yes; you would have to allow cookies for this site, to make use of "Remember me." Ticking (checking) that box on the site puts a cookie on your machine. If you lose the cookie somehow, in some kind of cleanup, next time you log in, the box will be UN-ticked - just tick it again to get the cookie back!

Also, don't log off the site at all, because doing so may remove the cookie!

I'm looking forward to more news of Hero!

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:03:39 (PST)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hey Lisa,

What is the status with his liver issues?

I have seen an interesting approach done recently with Lantus and the same could be done with Levemir where the main insulin given is NPH but a small amount of Lantus is given at the same time to extend the duration of the injection to last a full 12 hours. This might be something worth considering in the future for Hero. Levemir is another long-acting insulin and might fill in the time during which NPH doesn't provide for him. No guarantees it will work that way but would be worth trying. The other is the 10 - 10 - 4 schedule I described earlier in this thread.

I don't see any problem with having to give him more insulin. Even now he's on a smallish dose. It would be quite normal for him to need a larger amount. And with all of the stuff he's dealing with in terms of antibiotics and inflammation from his injuries, he could need quite a bit more.

So I would expect that he might be a bit unstable right now and perhaps some correcting R insulin can improve the situation until he's healed up. I would only be seriously worried if, after healing up and coming off antibiotics, etc. that he stayed unstable, at which point he might need some adjustments to his diet or insulin regimen.

Natalie

Quote:
I noticed a rather large and distended abdomen today, that I have only previously noticed in pregnant bitches. Obviously Hero is male, and not pregnant so off we went packing to the vet. She was concerned about the fluid like feel and possible enlarged liver and took radiographs. She then proclaimed Hero's liver to be the size of Texas. A bunch of liver related bloodwork was run. His liver enzymes were low and she was worried about loss of liver function. So a bile acid test was performed. Hero had to be force fed the small meal required for the second blood draw of the bile acid test. The first reading fasted was less than 5, the second gave a reading of 6. Both proclaimed his liver to be normal functioning. So the puzzlement of why it is so large and possibly inflamed. She feels this is likely cause contributing to his loss of appetite. The instructions were to give him Vitamin B12, Baytril and metronidazole for 7 days. He was a little anemic but she didn't feel that needed to be addressed. She also instructed me to get him to eat whatever he wanted. I plan to try a raw packaged diet next. I have already exhausted every canned variety, several dry options. He likes my cooked hamburg or cooked chicken, but I never can give him the right insulin injection off those foods. I have read and investigated a food called Primal. It seems pretty similar to the canned diet I have been using in terms of proteins, fats and carbs. The next steps in the process here would be ultrasound and liver biopsy. Interestingly to point out that Hero's initial bile acid test done at 8 weeks old revealed a normal functioning liver, but with much worse values than he has now, but without the disended abdomen. Go figure. Any thoughts on this? Much appreciated.
Lisa & Hero
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM

I wanted to thank you for sharing your journey with Hero. There is so little out there on Juvenile Diabetes. We adopted a 2 1/2 month old puppy we named Pepper, 6 weeks ago and after having her home for two weeks we discovered she was diabetic. She is the first at our vet clinic with this diagnosis and we are all learning together how to best care for her. Anyway, it is encouraging to hear that what we are going through is not new and that Pepper is experiencing what others have gone through with their puppies. Today Pepper's blood sugar was 591 and we are back to figuring what the next plan of attack will be. Again, thank you!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Glad you found this post - Lisa was very helpful to several people dealing with juvenile canine diabetes. I really should check in with her and see how she and Hero are doing.

Natalie
Closed Thread