Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Damn! Had to force feed Mik!
After 10 days of high appetite and calories, he would not take a bite of anything. Tried them all.

Finally force fed him 150 calories of baby food and then 3 IU of insulin. I am hoping he will get a high, and return to the kitchen. He did eat a huge 4:30 am meal of 350 calories so this makes no sense.

Right now, he is sulking in the other room.

more:
If he does not get a high and return for more food within two hours, I will force feed another 75-100 calories of baby food. I am worried about the 3 IU of Vetsulin on just 150 calories, but I don't want to break the regiment.

Last edited by robertpri; 10-29-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

I agree with your plan re: more food to balance against the 3 units of insulin. Am wondering, though, if this problem might not be a temporary one possibly caused by the meds both Mik and Mak need to take and that it will clear up after the meds are done.

Toodles sulks professionally when things don't go his way. When I need to tell him that's enough of the treats and he doesn't think so, he goes under the chair to pout and to "deprive" me of his company because I said "no".

Kathy
Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Hope View Post
Bob,

I agree with your plan re: more food to balance against the 3 units of insulin. Am wondering, though, if this problem might not be a temporary one possibly caused by the meds both Mik and Mak need to take and that it will clear up after the meds are done.

Kathy
I could be imaginng this, but at times Mik is so 'smell sensitive' that I wonder. I usually prep his meals first, and set them aside. Tonight, for whatever reason, I did Mak's first, including the mixing of his pills and capsule powder. I then turned to Miks' bowl, using the same forks to mash his Purina. Is it possible the little detective could smell residue from the forks? He has already proven that he hates Maks' meds.

Quote:

Toodles sulks professionally when things don't go his way. When I need to tell him that's enough of the treats and he doesn't think so, he goes under the chair to pout and to "deprive" me of his company because I said "no".

Kathy
People have tried to convince me that pets don't pout or hold grudges. I disagree. Every dog we've ever had pouts and sulks if they don't get their way.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

I would be willing to think you've hit on something. I've had some of mine decide they were willing to take a chewable heartworm med in one strength and not in another. The only differences here were the strength of the med and the color of the pills (they were color-coded at the time).

About a year and a half ago, Toodles' dog food changed the formula slightly and they added blueberries and cranberries to it. Toodles was eating the food without problems before they did that for a long time. At first he decided he wasn't going to eat the food with "that stuff" in it.

We tried changing his food and while he was happy to eat it, but there was something in that formula that didn't go well with his seizure disorder and that was the end of that food. We just decided that he would eat his usual food with "that stuff" in it when he was really hungry enough and we outlasted him; he had to get back to a food we knew didn't cause these problems so we were "tough" about it.

The ones who didn't pout would "talk back" when they didn't get more treats--Toodles does his share of that, but when he realizes his "hot air" didn't work, then he pushes the "pout" button.

Kathy
Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 PM

It's been two hours + since his 3 IU, so I carried him to the kitchen. I set aside that "poisoned" bowl of food [Mak will gobble it in the am] and had a new bowl of purina mashed with clean forks.

Mik hovered over it a long time, sniffed, hovered, pondered, sniffed, and then decided I was trying to trick him. He walked away but I was ready.

Force fed another 100 calories of baby food. If nothing else, I am getting good at this.

My crude math: when he was eating about 100 calories at dinner, I reduced his 2 IU to about 1.5. But his vet blood tests were still high BG.

So, now with 250 calories, I am not too worried about 3 IU. And he did eat a huge breakfast.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

Mik may yet bark for more before the night's over.

I think all will be fine but hope Mik will start the morning with a "clean slate", realizing the food is fine and get back to his usual style of eating now.

Kathy
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Hope View Post
Bob,

Mik may yet bark for more before the night's over.

I think all will be fine but hope Mik will start the morning with a "clean slate", realizing the food is fine and get back to his usual style of eating now.

Kathy
You have no idea how much this worries me. I do NOT want to force feed him at 4:30 am, and have to resort to that method.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

Sometimes the things we worry about most thankfully don't happen like we imagine they will.

The other week Toodles irritated his eye and needed ointment in it. At one time, he would have none of me touching that area. Of course I worried about how I was going to get the ointment in that eye twice a day for the length of time needed.

Decided I was just gonna go for it and see what happened. Toodles sat down and was so good about it all, I couldn't believe it!

I hope that the worry you have tonight about tomorrow is only that and that Mik gets back to eating as he's been doing up until now.

Kathy
Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM

I know he feels bad because he allows me to hold him for long periods. Usually, it's one minute and he gets fidgety and wants down. When he is hurting, he likes being held.

After about 20 minutes, I took him to the kitchen and after long hesitation, he finally ate another 50 calories of baby food and maybe 50-75 cheerios.

So, he's well over 350 calories for tonight, and about +600 for the day. That would ordinarily be a good day, except he does not feel good.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:18 PM

How long can fleas live without a living host? Like an old blanket?

Can the larvae grow and hatch without a living host? [like an old blanket]

I ask because of all the old rugs and blankets the dogs have used in the past.