Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Bob,

According to this, they can hold out 3 weeks without a host:

http://www.placervillevet.com/flea_life_cycle.htm

Kathy
Old 10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Founding Member

Hi,
What is Mik's weight now?
I hope you don't think I am being rude but are you trying to get him to eat too much all at once. You know like the day after Christmas when you don't feel like eating. Buddy, who was on the slim side, was just under 5kg and his daily energy/nutrient requirements were about 350 k/cal per day so that was divided up between the two meals. So I tried about 180 k/cal per meal.
Jenny
Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Fleas spend something like 95% of their lives OFF the dog. In the carpet, bedding, blankets, etc. The carpet is a big one and that's why frequent vacuuming will cut them way back. Treating the dog is actually a minor part of getting rid of them.

If you have a vacuum with a throw-away bag, you can suck some flea powder into the bag to kill whatever is going into the vacuum bag. If it's a canister you empty, you can empty it and then suck some powder into the canister and let it sit in there.

Not sure what all the vet gave you. Sentinel essentially sterilizes the fleas when they bite the dog, which drastically reduces the population by preventing them from reproducing. Capstar is a pill that kills them wholesale for about an hour after it's given. When we had a stray dog here last, he was thoroughly infested - just crawling with them - and Capstar knocked them out. Kind of amazing and kind of scary but they say it can be used often.

Both Chris and Jack have always tolerated Sentinel really well.

As for ticks... only because spiders move fast do they scare me more than ticks. Ticks make my skin crawl! I have never busted one open - yuck!

Sorry about your wardrobe Bob - between the force feeding and the tick treatment, you might have to do some serious clothes shopping!!

Natalie
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBuddy View Post
Hi,
What is Mik's weight now?
I hope you don't think I am being rude but are you trying to get him to eat too much all at once. You know like the day after Christmas when you don't feel like eating. Buddy, who was on the slim side, was just under 5kg and his daily energy/nutrient requirements were about 350 k/cal per day so that was divided up between the two meals. So I tried about 180 k/cal per meal.
Jenny
You are not being rude at all! I crave all information. Since this thread is so long, it's entirely possible you missed this, but wife did all this stuff for 33 years with 5 dogs and 2 cats. I always loved them, but never understood the feeding, medical, flea, diet, etc side. In fact, never witnessed it. I was gone for work before and then came home after all these tasks.

But she passed away last year which why I am such a novice at this.

Kindergarten level.

Mik is slightly over the same weight. 11 lbs, 9 ounces.

5kg = 11 lbs

But I am stumped on converting 350 k/cal and 180 k/cal. kilocalories? I cannot find any conversion for k/cal. Naive here, but don't understand.

Please clarify. Mik is eating about 500 calories a day. 200 am/300 pm.

I am really basing it on rough calculations, plus info on pet food, plus MUCH help from users on this site, some info from vet, but mostly from comparing his intake to his brother, Mak's intake.

Mak used to eat about the same, but less now since he's over wt at 17 lbs.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

See if any of this from Google helps:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/kcal/to/cal

Convert kilocalorie [15 C] to calorie [15 C]

"How many kcal in 1 cal? The answer is 0.001.
We assume you are converting between kilocalorie [15 C] and calorie [15 C].
You can view more details on each measurement unit:
kcal or cal
The SI derived unit for energy is the joule.
1 joule is equal to 0.000238902957619 kcal, or 0.238902957619 cal.
Note that rounding errors may occur, so always check the results.
Use this page to learn how to convert between kilocalories and calories.
Type in your own numbers in the form to convert the units!"

--------------
http://caloriecount.about.com/cal-vs-kcal-ft26383

"kcalories is what you see on the labels and what you burn (called Calories, with a capital "C"). kcals is equivalent to 1,000 calories (calories with a small c). So when it comes to dieting, kcals (Calories) are what you really deal with. usually though people refer to kcals as calories with a lower case c including me, but as long as you're talking about food and the Calories burned, most likely the person is refering to kcals."

"That's pretty much the correct answer. 1 kcal = 1 Calorie = 1000 calories. Common usage in the US is that a calorie is the same as a kcal (as far as nutrition labels are concerned anyway). Other countries (esp. European ones) tend to use kcal instead....it's a more accurate term anyway."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrition_facts_label

Wikipedia-Nutrition facts label

Kathy
Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Amazing info about fleas. I never knew any of this. Thanks Natalie and Kathy.
The reason for asking is all the pillows [and cases] and throw rugs that Karen had around the house on the floor. The pillows line the brick base of a long fireplace where they run through and it's a rough surface.

My plan is to vacuum the world in the am and dump bags. Remove all pillowcases, washable rugs, etc and put them into large trash bags in the garage. I will spray them and close.

Take dogs to groomer for a bath, then come home and spray the world. It's called Siphotrol, and based on the past, I cannot stay in the house.

Powerful stuff and I use a lot.

Disappear a couple of hours [buying a new bathrobe] then come home and begin washing those loads and vacuum again and dump bags.

I need to rush, because groomer is on short hours tomorrow and cannot keep them past noon. Then continue to wash those loads from the garage before bringing into the house.

Please don't tell me fleas can survive a washer/dryer?

Vet said Karen has always used Frontline, which I put on them the first night. I called Frontline today and asked if a bath would wash it off and need to be done again. They said no, if I did the Frontline on Wed night and bathed them on Saturday, it's in their system and need not be repeated for a month.

Unless I see more fleas.

My next plan is to repeat this entire process in two weeks because I seem to recall that is the best 'kill' period to get larvae that might have been missed.

Other suggestions?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Founding Member

Me again,
Confusing isn't it. I was lucky that Buddy ate his food well and the Science Diet canned had all the info on the can..such as

Canned 939kcal/kg (155 kcal/ 165 g can 347 kcal/ 370 g can )

So I knew that Buddy needed to eat half a can each meal. I used to feed him about 1/3 of the canned and added some dry kibble (higher in k/cals) so he was getting enough to eat without the bulk.

Jenny
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks Kathy, so I assume Jenny's 350 k/cal is 350 calories? That would be about right, based on my crude knowledge of 30 calories per pound. Her Buddy was 5 kg or 11 lbs.

11 lbs x 30 = 360, so that fits my figures of Buddy's 350 daily consumption.

Perhaps I am over doing it with 500, but once we hit the 12-13 lb range, which is what vet wants for them both, [and they used to be under Karen's guidance] I can adjust.

I am continually stumped why Mak went from 15 lbs to 17. I watch closely and he is not stealing Mik's food. Of course Mak is an honest dog and would not ordinarily steal, except for food, which in his mind all belongs to him.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

Years ago, a family member took in a stray cat. She had him with the run of the unfinished basement for quite a while and after she found out how friendly he was, she decided to bring him upstairs.

We both suspected he was a walking flea hotel, so before he got the run of the house, we took him in for an exam. To say he had fleas was an understatement.

He went for a flea bath and the vet told us to wash all of the rugs, towel and throws that he used in the basement. We also washed up his litter box and brought it upstairs. He also told me to immediately take off my coat when I got home and throw it into the wash, so Lucky didn't have any chance to get fleas; Irene did the same with her coat.

She got some areosols from him to set off in the basement so there could be no fleas surviving down there. After all that was done, we collected Moose from the vet. I took my coat off and threw it into the wash as he'd said. Moose never had another flea and Lucky didn't get any!

Mister Moose, lounging in bed.

Kathy
Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

From the Google pages, it sure looks like while everyone else calls them k/cal, we just call them calories.

Your goal was and is to put more weight on Mik, so more food would be in order. Once you have him at the desired weight, cutting back, as you say, would keep him on "maintenance".

Am just glad to hear Mak is hungry and eating because a while back he went through a time where he wasn't, just like Mik!

Kathy