Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

My hat is off to working moms everywhere, who work all day, come home to maintain a home and family, and discovers their pet has fleas. I have NO idea how they cope.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM

One giant step forward: Mik now prefers to go straight to the Purina dog food instead of baby food or cheerios. After he has eaten and medicated, I offer a dab of baby food as a reward.

Going well [crossing fingers]

I plan to have his BG tested later this week so it will be about 10 days on this new insulin regime.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Robert you should write a book
Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

If you believe in "paying one's due", I think you've "paid" more than your share to get to this point!

Hoping this trend will become a habit!

Kathy
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Thank you, and we both owe many thanks to all the information and advice on this forum. Without you guys, well, Mik might not even be here today.

One more winner: after dinner, Mik has only traveled to the kitchen and barked for "more" two times in a week. I ignored him. He had a full meal and he is not going back to that "demand food" mode.

He only barked a few minutes and quickly gave up.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Founding Member

Robert I think you are amazing. You really have gone above and beyond for Mik. I remember the frustration on the very few times that Buddy wouldn't eat and I can't imagine having to go through that constantly. Mik certainly is one lucky little dog to have you.
Jenny
Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBuddy View Post
. Mik certainly is one lucky little dog to have you.
Jenny
Thank you, but I am very lucky to have Mik and Mak. Karen and I had no children of our own, so these little guys are my last living connections to her.

I have two sons from a marriage 45 years ago, and they accepted Karen as "mom", but she picked out Mik and Mak herself and raised them 24/7.

And I am VERY lucky for the support and advice from this wonderful forum!

Still a long ways to go, but thank you all!

bob
Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 PM

I agree Robert. I also think you are amazing! We've never talked but I follow your thread. When Greyson goes just a day or two without wanting to eat I almost lose my mind. I can't imagine going through what you do. He is getting worse by the day but is being tested tomorrow for cushings due to his triglycerides being through the roof. Maybe once we get him going on treatment he will get his appetite back.

I do have a question. I saw where you give baby food that is about 100 calories. What kind is that? When he will not eat anything else I can usually get some beef or chicken baby food in him but those are only 50-60 calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBuddy View Post
Robert I think you are amazing. You really have gone above and beyond for Mik. I remember the frustration on the very few times that Buddy wouldn't eat and I can't imagine having to go through that constantly. Mik certainly is one lucky little dog to have you.
Jenny
Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyt View Post
I do have a question. I saw where you give baby food that is about 100 calories. What kind is that? When he will not eat anything else I can usually get some beef or chicken baby food in him but those are only 50-60 calories.
I think I tried about a dozen before some success. Vet wanted me to use Gerber's Chicken and Rice, but Mik prefers Beech-Nut Chicken and Rice. [someone will have to explain how he can tell the difference--but he can]

But he got bored with it in a month or so, and still won't eat it.

So during his worst "I am NOT going to eat" days, and I knew he had to be force fed [syringe] I just looked at labels for the highest calorie content.

The tops was Gerber's Chicken and Chicken Gravy, 2n Foods, 100 calories, no sugar, 7g fat, 0 trans fat, 8g protein. Really small jar, and the most expensive, about $.92 to $1.10. [I shopped around]

Even then, it was a challenge so I emptied a jar on a small saucer and of course it was radio active to him. I dipped my finger and then forced his little mouth open just enough to sort of "smear" it across the corner of his mouth.

He licked it, thought about, and figured it was okay. During the bad times when he needed insulin but refused ANY food, then it was syringe time and he got two jars, or 200 calories.

I don't pretend to understand any part of the nutrition aspect, but it was high calories, and the vet said he needed calories.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM

greyson will not eat gerber's either, only beech-nut! glad to see there is another out there as picky as he is! i never thought about using a syringe. that is a great idea. the past few days he hasn't gotten over 1 or 1.5 units because he just won't look at food. lately he literally turns his head when i put it in front of him and he has started running away and trying to hide. it is very frustrating to say the least. i know i don't have to tell you that!

thanks for the info. i'll go pick up some chicken and rice tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
I think I tried about a dozen before some success. Vet wanted me to use Gerber's Chicken and Rice, but Mik prefers Beech-Nut Chicken and Rice. [someone will have to explain how he can tell the difference--but he can]

But he got bored with it in a month or so, and still won't eat it.

So during his worst "I am NOT going to eat" days, and I knew he had to be force fed [syringe] I just looked at labels for the highest calorie content.

The tops was Gerber's Chicken and Chicken Gravy, 2n Foods, 100 calories, no sugar, 7g fat, 0 trans fat, 8g protein. Really small jar, and the most expensive, about $.92 to $1.10. [I shopped around]

Even then, it was a challenge so I emptied a jar on a small saucer and of course it was radio active to him. I dipped my finger and then forced his little mouth open just enough to sort of "smear" it across the corner of his mouth.

He licked it, thought about, and figured it was okay. During the bad times when he needed insulin but refused ANY food, then it was syringe time and he got two jars, or 200 calories.

I don't pretend to understand any part of the nutrition aspect, but it was high calories, and the vet said he needed calories.