Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Diabetic dog in San Diego needs new home

I talked with Mike and there's no flexibility in this situation. Lucie either finds a new home or goes into rescue within 30 days (when her insulin supply runs out) or they will euthanize.

She's on Vetsulin 7 units twice a day and has a 40mL vial.

Contact me for more detailed information. (k9diabetes@gmail.com)

Natalie
Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Just wanted to clarify, since I wasn't real clear, that I don't have much more information about Lucie...

She is said to weigh about 31 pounds and has regained some of the weight she lost prediagnosis. He described her as a "big lap dog" and very sweet and social. She is said to live with 4 kids, 4 horses, and 10 other dogs on some acreage in a ranch type setting. He said she sleeps indoors or out, though my guess is that it's more often outdoors. She's on Kirkland lamb and rice kibble as she turned her nose up at WD.

I forgot to ask if she is spayed.

With so many dogs around, I'm thinking it likely that she is.

I have emailed the ACD rescue contacts in the San Diego area and all of the rescue folks I know up here and several members of the Cushings board have been putting out the word as well. I explained to Mike that the shelters here are overflowing with "foreclosure dogs" so I think it will take quite a bit longer than a couple of weeks to find a home for a special needs dog.

Natalie
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Several very dedicated members of the Cushings forum have put in many many hours working on locating a foster home for Lucie.

Thank you Sue, Carol, and Glynda!!! http://www.caninecushings.net/forums...isplay.php?f=1

Someone has come forward who may be willing to take her in for foster care but will need financial support as he is currently unemployed.

If you are interested in helping financially to support Lucie for vet bills, food, insulin, and syringes, please drop me an email (k9diabetes@gmail.com) or a private message to let me know and I will then keep you advised on developments and if and when such support is needed.

Supporting Lucie's diabetes care if she is put on NPH would be only about $25 a month (insulin and syringes) - she is currently on 7 units per injection, two injections a day. I am also willing to send food and contribute to vet expenses.

If this all occurs, we won't want to rush to send many months worth of insulin and syringes as it is beginning to look like Lucie might not be spayed. So that will be the first thing that will need to be done and then see how that affects the diabetes.

There is quite a bit of history on the situation that I'm leaving out of the public forum so if you have any questions, drop me a line.

I can't begin to adequately thank Sue, Sue's friend Alison, Carol, and Glynda for their efforts on Lucy's behalf...

Natalie

Last edited by k9diabetes; 01-04-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Add forum link
Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Lucie may have foster home, will need donations

Things are looking good for Lucie. This is from Sue over at the Cushings forum today:

Quote:
Latest is that my friend Alison is hoping to be able to go out there and get Lucie sometime this week. She has gotten Lucie's vet's phone number and will talk to him early this week for a rundown on Lucie's health background. Sounds like she's making progress with Mike. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. saying that Lucie is NOT spayed.

In the meantime, Carol has rounded up a foster home for her. We have lots of offers for donations - guess we will be needing donations for getting her spayed, and for DM supplies (if the DM is chronic). Please PM Natalie (k9diabetes) here about donations and she will get back to you. (Or e-mail her directly) Waiting for more word from Alison at this point. Have not heard back from the possible adoptive mom in Goleta yet. So the saga continues..... Sue
I get emails of all my personal messages but you're also welcome to email me directly (k9diabetes@gmail.com).

The spay is an absolute necessity to control her diabetes and will have to be funded by donations. I believe the foster home is looking for a vet who will do the spay at a "rescue" rate.

This guy is doing Lucie a huge favor as financially this is not a time for him to take on additional expenses plus it's one more dog than he can manage long-term. But nothing else was open to Lucie so he has graciously agreed to provide her a short-term home.

I am so relieved to hear that this may get settled this week. I know many of us have been losing sleep over Lucie's fate.

Natalie

Last edited by k9diabetes; 01-05-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: update Sue's post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Lucie has a foster home

From Rick, Lucie's new foster dad:

Quote:
Just got back from picking up Lucy.

Poor thing is skin & bones. The owners said she has been gaining weight. YIKES!

Many thanks to all the people here & on the Aucado forum for encouragement & info. This is pretty intimidating for me, but I'll do the best I can.

Dingo is more stressed than Lucy, I think. We've had dogs visit before but he's never been this way.

The owner wasn't lying when he said she is a lover. She is a total sweetheart so far. She rode fine in the cab of the truck. Let me handle her. Gives me kisses...

Ummm... tomorrow she gets a bath. Apparently she feels well enough to herd the livestock... pheeyew!

Here she is.

Rick

http://www.caninecushings.net/forums...ed=1#post88704
Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

I shipped Rick a box of U40 syringes and of ketodiastix today and there is an arrangement for a good price on Vetsulin that a member of the Cushings board is donating plus offers to cover the cost of her spay operation.

Once we have more details, there may be additional items. I think she will need some additional veterinary care for her diabetes, especially if this turns out to be related to her heat cycles. And food - lots of food!

I'm hopeful from what Rick has said about her temperament that he will be able to home test blood glucose...

Anyone have a meter with strips they'd be willing to donate? I have Rick's mailing address. Let me know if you're interested.

Natalie
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Founding Member

Talking Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

Well, as I said over at the Cushing's board ...

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so relieved to hear that Lucie is in her foster home with Rick. Now it's on to taking care of her, which will include veterinary care, getting her diabetes regulated etc and then finding her a permanent home.

Thanks to all who have helped Lucie so far in whatever way they have been able to help and also to all those who will be continuing to help until Lucie is settled in a permanent loving home.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Founding Member

This whole post has brought tears to my eyes, I am so happy Lucie is in your hands, if she's helping with the livestock already thats great.

Her coloring is like my Niki's, she's border collie and heeler so she has that salt and pepper coat.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 01-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Lucie is adorable!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Founding Member

Natalie
How long do strips last? I have some type of meter and tons of strips that belonged to my father-in-law but they are at least 3 to 4 years old. Well that is if my husband did not throw them out. I will have to ask him in the morning. I was just going thru a cupboard about a week ago and decided to get rid of them but they may still be here in the house.

Sorry I have only glanced at the board now and again lately or I would have responded early. I can send a small donation or mail these strips if they would be of any help.

Monkey is doing fine! Hope your new guy is nice and settled by now.

Tags
rescue