Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Interim CC

Default Re: Jesse just diagnosed with Cushings

Hi Patti,

Have you had any luck in getting copies of Jesse's test results so you can post them here?

I hope that you are coping much better at the moment. I know that when my second dog was diagnosed, finding cc.net saved me from being carted away by the little men in white coats. While I can't vouch for anybody else, I think I've got both oars in the water now. I meant it when I told you that cushing's is usually a lot tougher on us parents than our sweet pups. They just sit there and go dodeedodeedo, where's the food, where's the water?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Glynda
Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Interim CC

Patti,

Greetings from me as well. Looking forward to hearing how you and Jesse are doing.

Kim
Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 AM

Patti,

Wow, home-cooked meals and all - Jesse is so lucky to have you as a mom!

Please hang in there. I know it's frustrating when you want to be proactive and you don't have the medical support behind you. It sounds as though you're on the right track now.

I just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers!

MJ
Old 04-18-2009, 01:55 PM

A cushing's diagnosis for your pet is very scary and overwhelming. Finding good veterinary care can seem almost impossible. I have been right where you are with my dog. I was so afraid to give him lysodren, I was afraid I would miss the signs and symptoms that loading was complete and that I would harm him. I tried Trilo for a brief period, but that wasn't the drug for my boy due to pre-existing renal problems.

With the members of this board for guidance and a competent vet, you'll be just fine. Someone once told me that we have never lost a dog during loading here at cc.net. That made me feel 100% better. Use this board to bounce ideas off other members, and if something doesn't sound quite right, you'll know it.

My 12 year old border collie had really bad hind leg weakness until treatment. It didn't do completely away but it is so much better. It was so bad at one point that we bought him shoes so he would get better traction.

I attributed many of the signs and symptoms of cushings to old age. It was nice to see my boy get his spunk back

Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing more.

Cheryl
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 AM

Hi Patti,

How are you and Jesse doing? Hope all is going good! Would love to hear from you!

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 AM

Oh- All of you are so wonderful - your kindness and caring brings me to tears, literally.
Because this story has taken so many twists turns due to veterinary politics - with no consideration for my Jesse, I haven't responded, #1 its so complicated #2 my heart is being ripped apart and I haven't had the mind or strength to e-mail.
As of this am. - I had to get a new vet- yes, it sounds as though you we're right, Dr. Peterson ordered a new ultrasound to look at the adrenals. and a acth stim.
I was able to find someone (last ditch effort) to do a ultasound today.
My other vet decided to go on his vacation (he never told me!!!!) so he wanted to wait till next mon before we proceded with anything!!!!
Roadblock after roadblock - at the expense of Jesse - its really vet politics.
Thank you Border Collie mom - I really needed to hear that- your words are giving much needed strength. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.
I'm waiting for a call from Dr. Petersons office - he may or may not still work with me, he feels out of courtesy he should wait for my vet to return.
Jesse is getting weaker and drinking more water by the day.
Everybodys feelings - except Jesse.
My vet should have told me 3 weeks ago he was going away, but he waited till last Thursday night to tell me.!!!!! Talk about courtesy!!!!!!!!
(Did any of my story even makes sense) Ohhhh Boy
I have to go now - thank you all.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Hi Patti,

SO good to hear from you again!!! I was getting a bit worried. But I'm one of the resident worry-warts.

Bless your heart....so many difficulties at the beginning of an already scary situation. But keep in mind that Cushing's is slow progressing disease, so a few more days shouldn't hurt Jesse. I know it is hard to see him feeling badly, but you've gotten the ball rolling and soon he will be on his way to an answer. The good thing is, he has no idea what is happening and so doesn't worry...he will leave all that up to you! Your love and devotion will see him through these trying days and one day soon he will kiss you in gratitude for helping him feel better.

Meantime, let him have all the water he wants. If he needs help getting up or moving around, you can fashion a sling from a soft sheet, blanket, towel, etc to give him a bit of support. If he is peeing in the house alot, you might get some of those bands for male dogs. Folks that use them have told me they work great! One friend puts an open diaper inside the band for added absorption and to keep the band drier. Don't make any changes to his diet or routine right now. Let him do what seems to comfort him and bring him some happiness.

You will get through this, sweetie, and we are with you as you progress along this Cushing's path. Write when you can.

Take care and keep your chin up! You are doing a fine job, so don't despair.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Interim CC

Heh Patti - it's Kim! Glad to hear an update... was worried. As Leslie said the sonogram can probably wait. OR you could let the vet know you don't care to politely wait... While not a cure, I give my dog milk thistle for her liver. It comes in capsules. I get it from the health food store. I empty 1/2 of the capsule with her am meal and the other 1/2 at night. It helped her numbers come down after being on lysodren for quite a while so while I'm no scientist, I personally believe it has helped her liver.

Let us know what you decide to do. Hang in there and feel free to post all you want - we have seen and heard it all, trust me!

Hugs
Kim
Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Hi Patti,

I hope your ultrasound is crystal clear and you get a confirmed diagnosis for Jesse. I am also hopeful that Dr. Peterson will continue to work with you. I've read alot by him and he seems extremely knowledgeable and he sounds like a really good guy. I know how difficult it is when you see your beloved pooch not doing well but you gotta hang in there. You may have your confirmed diagnosis later today and if not, then real soon.

Ken
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Interim CC

Hi Patti,

Are you planning to have an ACTH stim done, too? If so, are you going to do it through Univ. of TN, Knoxville (the UTK full adrenal panel that includes the ACTH stim)? This is what Leslie had told you about previously. The UTK panel should be done before treatment with Trilostane.

-Susy