Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Testing after regulation

great picture! Mollie definitely shows a lot more poodle.

I am one of the members who tested the least. My dog ran so high for so long I never thought I'd have to. Then she got scary low to the point her back legs trembled and she couldn't stand. So, long story longer, I started at least testing before every meal/shot. It just gave me comfort to know where we were at when I gave her her insulin.

I'd tested the poor girl enough to have a feel for how her #'s would go.

I was definitely glad I'd kept a spreadsheet noting everything down so I could compare.

Judi
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM

Daisy is a fairly new diagnosis (1/20/17) and I check her at both injections, sometimes at odd hours when I'm not working and do curves when I think she's off a little. I understood how important home testing is when she came up to me and I noticed her legs were shaking. Sure enough, she was at 65 and I gave her some baby carrots. I hadn't changed anything, just opened a new bottle of insulin and her numbers bottomed out. I wound up lowering her a whole unit after I thought I had her regulated. So I'm afraid not to test.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I always tested three to four times per day but I had a dog who would drop so frequently, I wouldn't have felt comfortable otherwise.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 PM

For years I'd test 2-3 times a day, and also what I call a "mini curve" testing about every four hours from time to time.

Earlier this year I started skipping a day or two of testing!. Of course I go crazy wondering what her blood glucose is.

Craig
Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM

I have always tested him twice a day before each meal (fasting) just to see if the insulin is working consistently day after day, especially during these initials weeks of trying to regulate. Although I know you shouldn't adjust dosage without seeing a full curve. However, it was a habit for me, especially being new to dog diabetes.
3 months in, still not completely regulated, but now I skip the odd pre-supper test because I know no matter what the reading is (except really low) I'm not going to change insulin dose for that night.
But I like to know how each day starts, so morning tests are every day. Then I can review the previous evenings activities or treats or whatever, and also plan the day's walk times in relation to high sugar times and how much sugar I'd like to burn off.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM

One advantage to testing at least twice a day is that over time, you can catch a problem or infection before it gets out of hand. I got to the point that when Maggie had a couple of readings that were much higher than her usual readings, I would know that something(most likely culprit - urinary tract infection) was wrong and look at some type of infection brewing. It is all a part of staying on top of this disease.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 AM

We test twice a day at times when we know he is likely to be running low. It means we can catch it before it goes too low and/or adjust his exercise. We have not done a full curve for a long time.

We do adjust our dog's insulin dose somewhat depending on the test results and also we notice each year a gradual reduction in the dose he needs in the warmer months, and it increases again in the winter. Without consistent testing, we would probably forget to make that adjustment and end up giving him too much insulin in the summer.

Antonia
Old 05-31-2017, 04:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses, the day after I posted this I ended up in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. During that time Mollie missed three insulin injections but was fed her prescription diet at the regular intervals, 6 AM and 6PM. I did tests that afternoon 5/22 from 12-6 and resumed insulin at 4 units 2X a day on 5/23
12: 327
2:00 351
4:00 400
6:00 284

5/25 12 hour curve
6 AM 417
1/2 can Hills w/d 4 units of insulin Humulin NPH
8 AM 402
10AM 302
12 509
2 400
4 579
6 117

New insulin vial
5/29 12 hour curve
6 AM 382
1/2 can Hills w/d 4 units of insulin
8 192
10 251
12 202
2 196
4 84
6 176
My vet just called and asked if I had changed either insulin or syringes, that she thought the insulin was deteriorating for the 5/25 curve which was significantly higher numbers than the 29 May test. The first vial was about 5 weeks old, will the effectiveness of the insulin deteriorate at 5 weeks? I know the manufacturer recommends discarding it after 30 days but I have also read that there should be some wiggle room for the discard date. Have any of you experienced the loss of effectiveness at greater than 30 days? Why would opening a new box of syringes from Walmart as opposed to Walgreens have an affect on her numbers?
Thanks for your insight into all of this
Old 05-31-2017, 05:50 PM

Drug expiry dates are usually conservative, they are still effective after. My vet said most of her clients get 7-8 weeks from a vial, me included.
And curves are going to be different, that's the nature of the body. Hard to draw correlations between numbers and just one thing that changed.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:15 PM

Raysaint is right about drug expiration. Due to the drug companies and lawsuits, if they even think a drug will lose any efficacy, the expiration date is marked long before that happens.

I had the same experience with Daisy. I had her regulated, opened a new vial of Novolin N and her numbers tanked to the point where I dropped her a whole unit and drove home from work at lunch to check on her. I noticed you had the same issue with Mollie. Makes me wonder.