Her name is Angel Sadie... passed Nov 23, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Her name is Angel Sadie... passed Nov 23, 2021

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. My 10 yo lab/shepherd mix was just diagnosed with diabetes this past Wednesday. I was noticing that she was drinking and urinating much more frequently. I scheduled a vet appt. and had blood and urine analysis done. Her blood sugar came back at 461. So, now things have to change. She was eating Nutro Max dry food. I've switched her to Taste of the Wild. We're going back to the vet tonight to go over the insulin injections. I have so many questions. She is a chewer and loves to have her chews each night. Otherwise, she gets extremely anxious. Now I need to figure out what types of chews she can have, if any.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce Sadie and myself. It seems our story has just begun and I hope it continues for quite a while longer.
    Sadie is a 12 year old shepherd/lab mix. 1/26/09-11/23/21 Diagnosed 1/24/19.

Re: Her name is Sadie

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like everything is going as well as can be expected.

There's a lot of information to digest right away so don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions.

It will be interesting to hear what your vet says about the chewies. Vet's always seem to like a lot of discipline in feeding times and limited snacks but the flip side for you is added stress your dog is under when not given an outlet.

I built snacks into my daily dog's daily routine. Not supposed to do it but I am consistent about it. My philosophy is a little different than most though because of my dog's age and her relative ease in being regulated. I hope you can find a solution that works out for your dog.
    Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

we built treats into our dog's routine too like Liz did. I figured what was the point if she couldn't be a dog.

I know some dogs really enjoy deer antlers. Would Sadie like those?

We've had some dogs live a long long time with diabetes around here. Good luck Sadie!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you! My vet said there's that fine line between discipline and quality of life. And since Sadie is used to getting her chews, then there's no reason to stop. She recommended staying away from any of the "basted" or flavored chews. Stick with all natural stuff. She never really took to deer antlers. I picked up a package of "buffalo cheek" chews yesterday. Sadie seemed to really enjoy one of them last night.

Today is her birthday!
        Last edited by Ledvedder; 01-26-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

The only thing with natural chews is the protein level. Can affect some dogs, with some erratic blood sugar numbers.
          Probably be hard to tell until you get the dog regulated, which takes time. Please be patient and don't fret the numbers for a while.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thanks for all of the information so far. I guess I'm going to have to try some different dry foods because she doesn't seem to like the Taste of the Wild. She just noses at her food bowl.

Comment

Look for foods that are somewhat low in fat, with moderate protein and fiber.
              And you can add things to the food to enhance fiber, and might help make the food more appealing.

I add a bit of pureed pumpkin, sweet potato, pinto beans/oatmeal puree, wild blueberries, etc. I don't add all of those every meal, I switch it up.

Good fiber and good nutrients for the eyes.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I bought a few cans of the Taste of the Wild wet floor and mixed a spoonful with her dry food. She gobbled it down. I'm not a big fan of wet food, but I suppose I have to do what works best.

We're now on day 2 of 15 units twice a day. All seems well so far.

Comment

That's exactly it, do what works for your dog, as long as the guidelines are followed.

My dog has only had wet food. It's not as processed as dry, and has more moisture, which he needs.

Comment

I am late in wishing Sadie a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Wishing her many more years with you.

Natalie

Comment

I think Sadie is starting to lose her vision I've read that nearly 80% of dogs that are diagnosed will lose vision within the first year. Her eyes look cloudy in certain light. And she seems to be getting around more with smell than sight. This makes me so sad.

Comment

Well dogs in general dont have good sight to begin with . You can google how dogs see the world . If it is a slower process the dog has probably adapted to the new reality . Dogs dont see the world as humans do and accept the reality of there situation and deal with it and just move on . Its why I so admire them and i try to be the same way but its not easy for humans .
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

My sweet girl lost her battle last night. My sweet Sadie girl! I will truly miss her. She were the best dog our family could have ever asked for. And she was loved so much! Thank you for sharing your life with us. Rest in peace Saddle Waddle ♥ 🐾

Comment

Run Free sweet Sadie.
                            they dont seem to stay with us long enough!
                            sorry for your loss Ledvedder
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Re: Her name is Angel Sadie... passed Nov 23, 2021

I'm so sorry to hear about Sadie's passing... I always felt like our dog's diabetes set us up in a life rhythm and losing that made his loss even worse.

Sending Sadie a kiss skyward,

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                              X