Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:26 AM

Default Re: My dogs hair is clumpy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchow022 View Post
No we haven't checked yet. Last June when he had his blood test last things were fine. He's almost due for his next blood test so I'll take him. Is it a serious problem?

Also..my dog has really bad allergies and he ended up chewing his feet til they were a bloody mess while I was away at work. When I came home it was like a crime scene at my house. He's unable to run and walk properly because he's in so much pain after almost chewing off his Feet..will it be a big problem to not have him exercise too much for the next couple days until his wounds heal?
In regard to hypothyroidism, if untreated, it can cause many problems including insulin resistance, hair and skin issues. The good news is that it is easily treated with low cost thyroxine tablets.

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/hypothyroid.htm
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll bring Mochi in for a checkup as soon as my parents come back from their vacation.

Mochi was actually on Apoquel for a couple of weeks and it caused his blood sugars to go up the roof and as soon as I took him off of it he was regulated again. So I'm a little scared to be putting him back on it.
I also read a lot of problems with Apoquel when I googled it up.

What should I do with his swollen painful paws? He's constantly sitting up because he doesn't want to contact anything with his paws. He seems to be in so much pain..
Old 04-07-2017, 03:35 PM

sorry to hear Mochi,s paws hurt

my Riles had a problem yes ago

I used Gold Bond powder and cream on his feet then covered them with baby Sox's till they got better.

seems a trip to the vet would help ur Mochi. pain pills aren't too expensive

take care
Old 04-09-2017, 07:06 AM

Hi I just thought I'd chime in as our dog had terrible itchy paws and he has got on very well with Apoquel which he has had continuously for maybe 3 years (pretty much ever since I could get hold of it). It is the only thing that keeps the itching under control, though we do (with vet's agreement) give a dose somewhat higher than that recommended for his size.

I just wondered if the increase in blood sugar may have been due to an infection (Eddie's paws used to get infected after he had had a big chew at them) and the infection itself can make their blood sugar rise.

Might be worth another try perhaps at a lower dose if you can't find anything else that works?

We haven't noticed any side effects though at Eddie's age, we are more concerned with his immediate quality of life then about long term side effects - not sure how old your dog is?

I hope you're managing to find something that works for your dog.

Antonia
Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Maggie was on apoquel and it made her blood sugars drop significantly at first. I was wondering, too, if it might be infection that caused the blood sugar to go up. We used apoquel long term with Maggie to make her life bearable - even though it is really only intended for short term use. The biggest problem the dermatologist had with it was it having no studies to study the effects and that people would give it to address the problem without getting to the root of the problem. Maggie had so many allergies that her situation was pretty tough to treat.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 AM

Thank you all for your replies! I'm thinking about putting him back on apoquel maybe after his blood test and check up. I'm hoping his clumpy hair isn't anything too serious.. . His paws are super swollen right now and I'm just continuing with the polysporin and saline wash whenever he goes out to pee. I've noticed that he doesn't bite when he doesn't go for walks. But once he does go out things start to get bad again.

I'm just scared that the apoquel might raise his blood sugars again..it took me a good three weeks to get his blood sugars regulated..Mochi just turned 8 last month.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

My dog mochi has been so good the past month with perfect blood sugar numbers..however today took a turn. He has bad allergies so I caught him chewing his foot like crazy..one I picked him up his face had blood and his foot was super bloody..I washed it with a bit of saline and put a bit of polysporin on it. An hour later he started chewing again..same bloody mess and was able to get to his foot with a cone on..I did the same thing and decided to take his blood sugar..it spiked to 393..now I'm back in a panic..I've been the only one taking care of him for the past month and thought I've been doing so great and been super consistent.

Could it be because of his super itchy feet and bloody mess he made that spiked his blood sugar? .
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

hi and welcome

i would not worry about one high number and its high but not terribly high as far as dog diabetes

if the pattern has changed within a curve than you may want to explore what maybe needed

many things can affect blood sugar my jesses epilepsy seemed to affect it

there is a new allergy drug called apoquel that some members said really helped with the itchy .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 PM

Thank you Jesse for msging back so fast. Mochi has been on Apoquel for about three weeks and there was barely any change with his compulsive chewing and it seemed to have spiked up his sugars like crazy...it was up at 400-500 until I took him off of it and it started regulating again.

I'm just so confused to why it just spiked when he's been on such a good consistent schedule...
I have talked about his chunky hair as well and people said he may have hyperthyroid. I'm just waiting for my dad to be back from his vacation this weekend to take Mochi get a blood test. Is hyperthyroid very serious? I'm just freaking out again now because of his out of nowhere spiked sugars...
Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Founding Member

there is not allot you can do as far as blood sugar for now

those medical conditions can affect sugar

my jesse was in the 600s for weeks at the beginning plus pancreatitis ,DKA and a uterus infection all at the same time just one of those things are life threatening . she also has epilepsy from when she was a puppy and with all that she has been diabetic over 7 years and she will be 13 in October and has a happy dogs life

dogs are pretty tough animals and can put up with quite a bit and come out ok
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number