Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed: Bichon-Poo 13 years old
Dog's weight: 30 lbs (vet wants him to lose 10 lbs)
Diet: Hill w/d dry and canned (ceaser all his like prior along with various dry foods)
Insulin: Humulin NU-100
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 7cc twice per day

Brand of BG meter if home testing:

Don't have one yet...just diagnosed and I am a wreck. He has been on the insulin for 3 days now and also an antibiotic...he is not the same dog he was a week ago He doesnt go in for the curve until 2 weeks from this week...do you recommend the meter after we learn more about diabetes
??
Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Dog's name, breed: Lulu, Mini Pinscher

Dog's weight: 18.75lbs

Diet: Purina OM / 1 cup 2x per day

Insulin: Humulin-N

# units per injection and injections per day: 6 units in am & pm

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Iím not doing BG meter as of yet.

I don't know much about diabetes - whether it be human or canine form. This is truly a learning experience for me. Heartbreaking, yes... Hopeful... Always.
5/14/11, increased to 6units 2x's/day
Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Dog's name, breed: Hattie May, Rat Terrier Mix

Dog's weight: 31.5 pounds

Diet:White meat chicken 1 cup,green beans, One Beyond 1/3 cup.. 2 x a day

# units per injection and injections per day: 13 units in am & pm

Brand of BG meter if home testing: One Touch Ultra 2

TRYING TO LOWER HER SUGAR.......
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Dog's name, breed: Happy, mini poodle
Dog's weight: 11.5lb
Diet: Royal Canin Diabetic HF 90g with 2-3Tbsp of Tripett Tripe divided into 2-3 times per day...later to Royal Canin Hepatic 80g
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 3 units with U-100 insulin syringe in am and pm
Brand of BG meter if home testing: One touch Ultra 2 and AlphaTRAK

Last edited by Anna; 08-01-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Arrow Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Hi Anna,

Just wanted to remark that in fact, you're giving about 3.75 units of insulin, but MEASURING those units in a U-40 syringe, so that the fluid volume reaches the 1.5-unit MARKER (barrel-mark) on the U-40 syringe.

I'll be glad when you get those U-100 syringes you're planning to get, so that you can measure the actual number of units of insulin - as being the SAME as what the barrel-markings say!

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/merrymeasure.php

Meantime, you might need to be careful when talking to vets, so nobody goes around giving your dog 1.5 UNITS of Humulin-N - believing that will keep your dog's BG levels under control.

Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:39:26 (PDT)
Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM

My dog Superman is 16 pounds. Is taking 7 units of Humulin N twice a day.
He was just diagnosed on April 18 and is not regulated yet. He is eating W/D mixed together with canned dog food chicken (Purina one, IAMS or Alpo)
I bought a Ipet monitor from petmeds but have not been able to get any blood with the lancing device (I think that is what it's called). It works on my finger though - got a drop of my blood.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysmom116 View Post
My dog Superman is 16 pounds. Is taking 7 units of Humulin N twice a day.
He was just diagnosed on April 18 and is not regulated yet. He is eating W/D mixed together with canned dog food chicken (Purina one, IAMS or Alpo)
I bought a Ipet monitor from petmeds but have not been able to get any blood with the lancing device (I think that is what it's called). It works on my finger though - got a drop of my blood.
Heres the way we take the blood. We have a thin dog mat like the ones that are lined in a cage and place in on a counter. We put her up on there and she stands or lyes down. We use the little black piece of the paw thats under the front paws to get the blood from. We clean the area and pat it dry. Hold his paw and prick sometimes we have to gently turn the lancet and then take it out and give it a couple of seconds and the blood will come out.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulamck View Post
Dog's name, breed: Bichon-Poo 13 years old
Dog's weight: 30 lbs (vet wants him to lose 10 lbs)
Diet: Hill w/d dry and canned (ceaser all his like prior along with various dry foods)
Insulin: Humulin NU-100
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 7cc twice per day

Brand of BG meter if home testing:

Don't have one yet...just diagnosed and I am a wreck. He has been on the insulin for 3 days now and also an antibiotic...he is not the same dog he was a week ago He doesnt go in for the curve until 2 weeks from this week...do you recommend the meter after we learn more about diabetes
??
Yes it is so easy to take a curve I wish i would have save the $300 at the vet for my first 3 curves! My vet showed me how and it was easy. We take the blood from the tiny front paw. The one piece of paw that is under the big front paw. I see a lot of people take it from the inside of the lip thats not for me there is so much germs in the mouth.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRotties View Post
Dog's name, breed: Jacob 7 1/2 year old Rottweiler

Weight: 128 lbs (was 150 lbs prior to pancreatitis)

Diet: Royal Canin Diabetes & Engers Beef with Chicken, 1900 cal/day divided by 2 meals. 3 Cups dry Royal Canin + 1/2 can Engers. I add cinnamon and chromium supplements along with Trixyn and Liquid Health for his arthritis. I also add a steamed veggie like broccoli, green beans, spinach or asperagus with garlic and tamari sauce.

Insulin: Humulin N

Number of units per injection and injections per day: Currently at 32 units, twice a day, 6am/6pm (currently unregulated)

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Started with OneTouch Ultra. Just got a Contour USB but there is a big difference between these two meters. Have not had them to the vet yet to see which is closer to truth. Looking for a meter with less expensive strips, than the OneTouch. I use the underside of the lips, elbow callus or hand pad.
I use a product called sashas blend on my three old dogs including my girl that has diabetes. After just 2 weeks on it they were running around like puppies! http://www.sashas.ca/cb_pages/sashas_blend.php
Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiller522 View Post
Dog's name, breed: Buzz (Male), Terrier Mix

Weight: ~20 lbs ideal (~18 lbs now)

Diet: Royal Canin High Protein Diet

Insulin: Humulin-N from Wal-Mart (Eli Lilly Reli-On)

Number of units per injection and injections per day: ~5 units, 2x/day 12 hrs apart. # of units depend on blood glucose testing from ear immediately prior to insulin injections.

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Abbott Labs AlphaTrak. Love it. We test from his ear 2x/day every day.

Buzz was diagnosed December, 2010. He is still unregulated, but we are moving in the right direction to get him regulated. Read more about him here: www.mydoghasdiabetes.blogspot.com
I heard that high Protein can cause bladder stones.